Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

scoobydoo99

Cancelled
Mar 11, 2003
Lucky this time ...you have kids ? It's the mindset which scares me.

I get it. I agree it was wrong. it just seems the whole response by the court ("idiot" sign) and the posts here were an overreaction. I mean, when people turn right out of the left lane or do other stupid things driving it's wrong and dangerous too. Just part of life on the road. I don't think having a school bus nearby makes it any more or less offensive.

ChristianVirtual

macrumors 601
May 10, 2010
日本
I get it. I agree it was wrong. it just seems the whole response by the court ("idiot" sign) and the posts here were an overreaction.

I think this kind of "public shame" punishment have a deeper impact on behavior then any ¥€$.
I would even get one step further and after she carried the sign she would have to visit the ER when traffic victim get moved in. A healthy shock hopefully.

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009
She KNOWS that you are suppose to stop and that going on the sidewalk is just completely idiotic.
This isn't even a minor or accidental screw up.

They should've taken her license away IMO.

rei101

macrumors 6502a
Dec 24, 2011
Ok, this is just hypocritical at its best... why school buses are not using seat belts for the kids?

Dr McKay

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2010
Kirkland
For the rich, even a fine of that size is but a permit to break the law.

IMO the only way to get their attention is through ridicule.

Now, about Lindsay Lohan .........

I think fines should be a % of your wages, a bit more of a deterrant for wealthier people.

sim667

macrumors 65816
Dec 7, 2010
Putting a wheel or two up on the pavement to get round something is standard in the UK:D

7thson

macrumors 65816
May 13, 2012
Six Rivers, CA
Wow, she got off with a slap on the wrist for that stupid move? How about no license for a year and community service to earn it back, maybe as a crosswalk guard?

Jimbo47

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2010
This is insane. I've witnessed people passing a school bus but never driving on the sidewalk. It's funny how she thinks passing on the sidewalk makes it OK? Laws here in PA are similar to passing a school bus. The punishment she got is funny.

- 60 Day License Suspension
- 5 Points on your license
- $250 fine.

heehee

macrumors 68020
Jul 31, 2006
Same country as Santa Claus

Attachments

• 50da7fff486d8c69fbd005904e52.jpg
    50da7fff486d8c69fbd005904e52.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 94

bradl

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jun 16, 2008
Oh good... the US justice system is now part of the entertainment industry.

It gets better! Straight from the Dumb*** News of the Day:

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=165044525

'I Stole From A 9-Year-Old': Court-Ordered Shaming

by The Associated Press
November 13, 2012

A woman caught on camera driving on a sidewalk to pass a Cleveland school bus was ordered this week to hold a sign at the intersection reading, "Only an idiot would drive on the sidewalk to avoid a school bus." It was the latest example of creative, and sometimes controversial, sentences handed out by judges to publicly shame offenders. Some other examples from around the country:

___

UTAH: PONYTAIL CUT OFF

The mother of a 13-year-old Utah girl chopped off her daughter's ponytail in court in order to reduce her community service sentence.

The teen had landed in court in May because she and another girl used dollar-store scissors to cut off the hair of a 3-year-old they had befriended at a McDonald's.

A judge agreed to reduce the teen's community service time if her mother chopped off her daughter's ponytail in court. The mother has since filed a formal complaint, saying the judge in Price intimidated her into the eye-for-an-eye penalty.

___

HOUSTON: 'I AM A THIEF'

Daniel and Eloise Mireles were convicted of stealing more than $265,000 from the crime victims fund in Harris County, Texas.

In addition to restitution and jail time, the Houston couple were sentenced in July 2010 to stand in front of the local mall for five hours every weekend for six years with a sign reading, "I am a thief."

A sign was also posted outside their house stating they were convicted thieves.

___

PENNSYLVANIA: 'I STOLE FROM A 9-YEAR-OLD'

Western Pennsylvania residents Evelyn Border and her daughter, Tina Griekspoor, 35, were caught stealing a gift card from a child inside a Wal-Mart.

In November 2009, the Bedford County district attorney said he would recommend probation instead of jail time because the women stood in front of the courthouse for 4 1/2 hours holding signs reading, "I stole from a 9-year-old on her birthday! Don't steal or this could happen to you!"

___

WISCONSIN: 'I WAS STUPID'

A man who crashed his car into the gates at a Wisconsin waste water treatment plant spent eight hours holding a sign saying, "I was stupid."

Shane McQuillan decided he would rather do that than spend 20 days in jail on a charge of criminal damage to property.

McQuillan had a blood alcohol level of 0.238 percent, nearly three times the legal limit for driving, at the time of the 2008 accident in Eau Claire.

___

OHIO: 'SORRY FOR THE JACKASS OFFENSE'

An Ohio judge ordered a man and woman who vandalized a baby Jesus statue in a church's outdoor nativity to march through town with a donkey to apologize.

Jessica Lange and Brian Patrick admitted to defacing the statue at St. Anthony Roman Catholic Church on Christmas Eve 2003. They led a donkey provided by a petting zoo through the streets of Fairport Harbor carrying a sign that said, "Sorry for the jackass offense."

After the 30-minute march, the pair were taken to serve 45-day sentences that included drug and alcohol treatment. They also were ordered to replace the statue.

___

TEXAS: FROM COURTHOUSE TO DOGHOUSE

Curtis Robin Sr. made a deal with Texas prosecutors to spend 30 consecutive nights in a 2-by-3-foot doghouse after pleading guilty to whipping his stepson with a car antenna.

Robin served the sentence outside his home in Vidor in 2003 so he could avoid jail time and continue working as a foreman for a demolition company.

Police were assigned to randomly check on Robin to ensure he was in the doghouse each night from 10 p.m. to 5 a.m. Robin was allowed to have a sleeping bag, mosquito netting, plastic tarp or similar protective items.

I understand that people are stupid, but really.. REALLY?!!?!? :confused:

It's only a short while before each one of these are photographed for People of WalMart.

BL.

ChristianVirtual

macrumors 601
May 10, 2010
日本

snberk103

macrumors 603
Oct 22, 2007
An Island in the Salish Sea

A positive trend to keep first-time/one-time offenders out of jail.

There are options between putting someone in the slammer... and the entertainment & humiliation thing.

---

Something that seems to have eluded a number of posters is that what is 'good enough' for this one person is also 'good enough' for them. Nobody goes through a month without breaking at least one law, even if by accident. If the US 'vengence' system is in fact reverting to a form of punishment that dates back to the Roman Empire, or the Dark Ages - you, your parent, your partner, your child - may be next person splashed on the front page of your hometown paper. Of course, at that point, you will still feel that the humiliation was a just one. Even as friends, enemies, work colleagues, etc post the photos in a locker, an office, a favourite coffee shop for everyone there to share in the spectacle.

Suspended
Dec 27, 2003
Uh...

....And the bus driver didn't get in trouble for using a cell phone while driving a bus full of children?

I don't like what she did at all, but I don't find the bus driver's actions acceptable either. He couldn't have asked any of the kids to record it? God knows they'd manage to edit together a nice video and post it online in seconds:p

Put your ****ing phones down in the car people, too many good lives lost because someone can't wait 5 minutes to answer a goddamn text. :mad:

Bus was stopped. Pretty sure they were waiting for her.

Sardonick007

macrumors regular
May 18, 2011
Just shared this on G+ so the world could see what a stupid bi*** she is.

----------

Break the law, face the consequences. Regardless of what they may be. If my friends or relatives are stupid enough to endanger peoples lives, they deserve what they get. If I get so engrossed in my life so as to endanger someone else's, then I deserve what I get. This POS could have killed someones child at some point.

---

Something that seems to have eluded a number of posters is that what is 'good enough' for this one person is also 'good enough' for them. Nobody goes through a month without breaking at least one law, even if by accident. If the US 'vengence' system is in fact reverting to a form of punishment that dates back to the Roman Empire, or the Dark Ages - you, your parent, your partner, your child - may be next person splashed on the front page of your hometown paper. Of course, at that point, you will still feel that the humiliation was a just one. Even as friends, enemies, work colleagues, etc post the photos in a locker, an office, a favourite coffee shop for everyone there to share in the spectacle.

----------

She shouldn't be allowed to face away from traffic, and she should be forced to show her face.

snberk103

macrumors 603
Oct 22, 2007
....Break the law, face the consequences. Regardless of what they may be. If my friends or relatives are stupid enough to endanger peoples lives, they deserve what they get. If I get so engrossed in my life so as to endanger someone else's, then I deserve what I get. This POS could have killed someones child at some point. ...

So.... you're saying that any punishment, as long as it was 'lawful' is OK. So if the law says you should have a foot amputated for trespassing - As long as it was written down, you'd be OK with losing a foot because you cut a corner one day and walked across someone's lawn?

Or have an eye removed because one night someone across the alley was getting undressed in front of their window, and instead of pulling your drapes immediately you became a peeping tom because you watched.... just for 3 seconds? You'd be OK with that, then?

Yes... extreme examples... but that is what you are saying.

And I hope you do ever condemn other cultures for their seemingly barbaric punishments, because those punishments are also 'lawful' for them. Or are you saying it's just your own justice system that gets to be barbaric?

bradl

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jun 16, 2008
So.... you're saying that any punishment, as long as it was 'lawful' is OK. So if the law says you should have a foot amputated for trespassing - As long as it was written down, you'd be OK with losing a foot because you cut a corner one day and walked across someone's lawn?

Or have an eye removed because one night someone across the alley was getting undressed in front of their window, and instead of pulling your drapes immediately you became a peeping tom because you watched.... just for 3 seconds? You'd be OK with that, then?

Yes... extreme examples... but that is what you are saying.

And I hope you do ever condemn other cultures for their seemingly barbaric punishments, because those punishments are also 'lawful' for them. Or are you saying it's just your own justice system that gets to be barbaric?

Interesting you note your extreme examples.. for it is those same examples that the 8th Amendment would be applied to, making your examples obsolete. In this case, her punishment is neither cruel nor unusual.

BL.

snberk103

macrumors 603
Oct 22, 2007
Interesting you note your extreme examples.. for it is those same examples that the 8th Amendment would be applied to, making your examples obsolete. In this case, her punishment is neither cruel nor unusual.

BL.

The person I'm responding to didn't exclude any options. Plus, I would argue that holding the sign is in fact 'cruel and unusual'. Well maybe not that unusual it turns out, in the US at least.

I'm not sure how one can argue that singling out someone, by the government, for public ridicule is not cruel. Holding the sign became entertainment. We are spending money to eliminate bullying in the schools, and yet you condone bullying by the court system.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.