Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BruceEBonus

macrumors 65816
Sep 23, 2007
Derbyshire, England
Microsoft has some of the best leadership in the business. Not to mention showmanship...!

YouTube: video YouTube: video

Well theres unbridled enthusiasm and theres enthusiasm that needs to be .... bridled ... and heres a good case for it .. Mr Sinofsky! You're embarrassing the guests ... please! ...

Im pretty disillusioned with 'New Apple' and their dodgy and mostly pointless hardware updates to their cables, maps, screens and screensizes and they may be losing their way currently .. so you think ... is there anyone to be worried about on 'the other side' ... then you see this!.

Steve Jobs had enthusiasm and temperance in equal measures ... this is just a bloke going a teensy weensy bit bonkers to the point that you've just forgotten what the hell he is promoting and why you turned up to the event.

By the way the trailers for the Windows Surface Tablet .. very good indeed.

The trailers for the Windows 8 Desktop .. the complete opposite ...who the hell came up with that shckingly inane Lenka muzak garbage is certainly going to alienate more than it will encourage ... amazing. Imagine being a developer/programmer for Windows 8 and years of hard work down the pan thanks to some bimbo mime artiste autotuned to an inch of her life - spewing out a kindergarten-style 'choon' to 'describe' your efforts to the masses .. awful.

Apple marketting .. you may have missed the boat of late including the naff iPad Mini Piano shambles but compared to this abomination - its a Godley and Creme masterpiece.

So .. update ... no matter how good Windows 8 is .. they've got the worst ever marketting team 'handling' it .. so guys - use this breathing space to get back to pre Jobs innovation era and stop resting on the ol' laurels .. now is the time to strike back ... or something.

Cheers!

And please .. spare me THAT! (Lenka - ("singing" Everything At Once)

If I want to repeat a similar experience, Ill just lock the cat flap and wait for the moggy to come back and wail to get back in!:(

steveza

macrumors 68000
Feb 20, 2008
UK
Having met both Balmer and Sinofsky I can see why he had to go - their personalities are completely opposite to the point where one would certainly grate on the other. It's a bad move for Microsoft though.

aristotle

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2007
Canada
He's not the one responsible for Windows 8's radical shift. Julie Larson Green is, she's also the one who designed the ribbon interface.

Seems pretty usable to me, and I've been using it since February. It's Windows 7 but sleeker, more refined and faster. Seriously the only major difference is the Start Menu is now fullscreen, but then you can now organise it to your hearts content.

Re8DP.jpg
dGWb9.jpg
Right, well some people actually like to "get stuff done" rather than futzing around with their icons on a start screen but whatever floats your boat.

I had used the Consumer preview as well but I found it difficult to use. Many features and settings have been moved for no reason other than for change's' sake. Printing email in metro is non-obvious as is setting up additional email accounts other than your live/outlook.com account.

The ribbon interface is also a huge mistake. I don't play around with windows for the fun of it. It is what I have to use at work so I'm not planning on upgrading my work computer to windows 8 ever.

thasan

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2007
Germany
Do you say that as someone who's never used it before? Because the desktop is still right there, just as good as it was in Windows 7.

mmm...for me, slower in virtual machine than win7. sometime, hard to close a software. but..thats just my experience. i got it through uni for free but i guess i will delete it soon.

ryanasimov

macrumors 6502
Apr 1, 2007
Window 8 tile UI is garish.

C'mon, it's really an inside joke, right? I'm guessing that the majority of people who like it got into computers after EGA graphics had died out; if you lived through those then the standard Windows 8 UI palette and icon appearance looks like it was ripped out of the late 80s.

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
most of those default metro apps suck especially since they only support microsoft services, too bad i never used and wont use any of those ... not even the calendar is of any use for me that way

johncrab

macrumors 6502
Aug 11, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ
Business users killed Win8 before the official release by saying they had no interest in it. This is what happens when a company tries to create one IS experience to bridge desktops and tablets. There is a very valuable lesson here for Apple that they should make their products work together but not follow the path to destruction with a common OS that MS just took.

----------

HP tried the touch desktop years ago. Steve Jobs even joked about it in a presentation. "After the novelty wears off, the arms get tired." What in the world was MS thinking here?

MS needs to dump Ballmer and bring in a CEO who can push the company into the next real generation of computing with a total departure from the Win95 legacy of the registry with a new front end on it every few years. They also need to focus on what made their company and stop trying to me-too every product that comes along. They're no good at it and always years late.

Yvan256

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2004
Canada
The products and services we have delivered to the market in the past few months mark the launch of a new era at Microsoft. We've built an incredible foundation with new releases of Microsoft Office, Windows 8, Windows Phone 8, Microsoft Surface, Windows Server 2012 and 'Halo 4',[...]

He's counting Halo 4 as an incredible product and/or a foundation for something? :rolleyes:

WilliamLondon

macrumors 68000
Dec 8, 2006
Take it from me Gates and Microsoft have nothing to do with innovation.

Microsoft never had an original thought amongst them. They just did a very good job copying (stealing, buying) what others had come up with, making it proprietary enough such that it locked you in (forever) and then marketing the hell out of it (and doing it very well!). The last few years have been all about reaping the rewards of that kingdom building effort, trying to find ways to keep that gravy train rolling.

This whole tablet (and smartphone) phenomena has definitely got them concerned, because for the first time since building their kingdom there is a new "platform" (in the generic sense) that threatens to chip away at their entrenchment. They can really not rest on their laurels going forward, they've got to do some innovating now, or see a slow dismantling of their former glory.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Really? Seems that Sinofsky was the closest thing Microsoft had to a Steve Jobs, who by the way, was also not a very nice person. I don't get why people think being nice is an expected character trait in corporate leadership, as if people climb to the top of that greasy poll by being nice. In his 20 years with the company Sinosfky accomplished some things running the division that actually keeps Microsoft afloat, no small feat in a company with notoriously dysfunctional management. Looking more deeply into this you will find that Ballmer viewed Sinofsky as threat to his leadership. So again, this is what is often meant by the code words, "not a team player." Ballmer made the challenge go away -- we'll see if that's a good thing for Microsoft or not.

Steve Jobs was a special case but I think he succeeded in spite of being an ******, not because of it. What you say about Sinofsky I suppose could be said about Scott Forstall too. But would Apple be better off if Forstall was still there and Bob Mansfield and Jony Ive (and who know who else) left because they couldn't work with him? I don't think so.

gekoo

macrumors member
Jun 13, 2012
Tokyo
Does anyone know when the bootcamp drivers might be released. Would be fun to try it out on the macbook pro to see if it works well with the trackpad

robanga

macrumors 68000
Aug 25, 2007
Oregon
Does anyone know when the bootcamp drivers might be released. Would be fun to try it out on the macbook pro to see if it works well with the trackpad

I saw on ars technica that you can do it without updated drivers. No trackpad yet though. I am putting it on a 2012 MacBook Air this evening, but i may just do parallels.

steveza

macrumors 68000
Feb 20, 2008
UK

I saw on ars technica that you can do it without updated drivers. No trackpad yet though. I am putting it on a 2012 MacBook Air this evening, but i may just do parallels.
Trackpad works fine with the current boot camp drivers - volume buttons etc work too.

coolspot18

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2010
Canada
Windows 8 is the worst. those active corners arent mouse friendly at all and it took me literally 20 minutes to figure out how to close an app and how to turn the machine off.

Google showed me in 30 seconds! But yes, I wish Windows 8 had a "close" button that can be enabled for desktop installs.

monaarts

macrumors 65816
Jan 16, 2010
Kennesaw, GA
Do you say that as someone who's never used it before? Because the desktop is still right there, just as good as it was in Windows 7.

It doesn't make it as good just because the desktop is there. I personally think that Windows 8 for desktop was a horrible mistake... Windows 8 on tablets, on the other hand, might eventually be a huge problem for Apple's iPad line.

coolspot18

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2010
Canada
Microsoft never had an original thought amongst them. They just did a very good job copying (stealing, buying) what others had come up with, making it proprietary enough such that it locked you in (forever) and then marketing the hell out of it (and doing it very well!).

Are you joking... talking about proprietary on an Apple new site? A bit hypocritical no?

One thing Microsoft did very well was maintain compatibility... there is a good chance that your old applications will run fine on Windows 7/8... can't really say that about Apple.

WilliamLondon

macrumors 68000
Dec 8, 2006
Are you joking... talking about proprietary on an Apple new site? A bit hypocritical no?

One thing Microsoft did very well was maintain compatibility... there is a good chance that your old applications will run fine on Windows 7/8... can't really say that about Apple.

Nice red herring. Gold Leader, stay on target! This thread is about Microsoft.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.