Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
Original poster
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
So this past weekend I visited New York; it was the first time I've been up there with my new iPhone 5.

All I can say is that AT&T LTE data makes such a huge difference! I've gone from it often being near unusable (iPhone 4) on my last trip, to absolutely no problems getting fast data performance on this trip. On my previous trip, there were often times that I couldn't even send a simple tweet when I was near central park; this time my data performance consistently felt like fast Wifi.

I did notice something interesting: There's no LTE coverage in Penn Station or Grand Central Terminal, just standard 3G "4G". I'm guessing they use microcells to provide coverage down there, and they're not LTE capable. However, performance was adequate despite that.

On another topic: Maps did just fine in NYC! I was able to find everything I looked for, though I don't use it for transit directions. I use the much better HopStop app... but I was worried Maps wouldn't be up to snuff and it turned out to work just fine.

I was so impressed by how well my new phone worked in NYC compared to my last phone that I wanted to post. Plus, this forum needs more positive threads. :)

EDIT: Another amusing anecdote: The iPhone 5's GPS is far superior to the 4. I was able to get a GPS lock on the plane. It happily told me I was going a bit over 500MPH at 39,000 feet or so, and was able to get a very fast-moving dot on my (cached) Maps. Old phone couldn't get a lock at ALL in an aircraft.

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
It tanks when you go out into Long Island beyond LTE coverage. Unusable 0.2mbps 4G.

Not as good as Atlanta :)
Actually LTE is irrelevant in Atlanta. The 4-9mbps on 4G is extemely satisfactory. The 50-60mbps on LTE is ridiculously unnecessary.

Jack Dangers

macrumors regular
Oct 29, 2007
yes, LTE is definitely a game changer. 3G was unusable in DC but I'm very happy with LTE in DC. mid-day I average around 15 down and at night it is around 30 down. I'm happy.

chakraj

macrumors 65816
Feb 6, 2008
So Cal
So this past weekend I visited New York; it was the first time I've been up there with my new iPhone 5.

All I can say is that AT&T LTE data makes such a huge difference! I've gone from it often being near unusable (iPhone 4) on my last trip, to absolutely no problems getting fast data performance on this trip. On my previous trip, there were often times that I couldn't even send a simple tweet when I was near central park; this time my data performance consistently felt like fast Wifi.

I did notice something interesting: There's no LTE coverage in Penn Station or Grand Central Terminal, just standard 3G "4G". I'm guessing they use microcells to provide coverage down there, and they're not LTE capable. However, performance was adequate despite that.

On another topic: Maps did just fine in NYC! I was able to find everything I looked for, though I don't use it for transit directions. I use the much better HopStop app... but I was worried Maps wouldn't be up to snuff and it turned out to work just fine.

I was so impressed by how well my new phone worked in NYC compared to my last phone that I wanted to post. Plus, this forum needs more positive threads. :)

EDIT: Another amusing anecdote: The iPhone 5's GPS is far superior to the 4. I was able to get a GPS lock on the plane. It happily told me I was going a bit over 500MPH at 39,000 feet or so, and was able to get a very fast-moving dot on my (cached) Maps. Old phone couldn't get a lock at ALL in an aircraft.

So what your saying is that apple makes a terrible product in the iphone 4, it had bad GPS and almost unusable data, couldn't even tweet. Ya they do make an inferior product, you've got that right.

bushman4

macrumors 601
Mar 22, 2011
LTE gets better by the day in NYC. Coverage is good, speeds are a game changer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.