Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jigsb007

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 11, 2010
Hello all,
Couple weeks back i put a thread, explaining the problwm with the headphone jack.

The problem is like this...

If i am listening a music with headphone ( Non - apple ) and if i get a call, i can only talk using that headphone..if i pull the 3.5mm jack i5 doesnt switch audio and mic back to phone...and if i press (+) or (-) button, it shows volum up and down but under that i could see (headphone )

So, couple of you adviced me to visit apple store and explain to genius. some of you said, its a IOS 6 problem and IOS 6.0.1 should solve the issue...

Anyways, so i got a new I5 from apple store ( They exchanged it without any problem )

But, this new I5 has the same issue , and this new phone is on 6.0.1

Do you guys have noticed such problem ?? :confused:

tymaster50

Suspended
Oct 3, 2012
Oregon
don't really see the problem, you were talking on a non-apple headphone and pulled the plug in the middle of talking. The phone then didn't register that, just pull the headphones out before you answer the call.

farmermac

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2009
Iowa
Hello all,
Couple weeks back i put a thread, explaining the problwm with the headphone jack.

The problem is like this...

If i am listening a music with headphone ( Non - apple ) and if i get a call, i can only talk using that headphone..if i pull the 3.5mm jack i5 doesnt switch audio and mic back to phone...and if i press (+) or (-) button, it shows volum up and down but under that i could see (headphone )

So, couple of you adviced me to visit apple store and explain to genius. some of you said, its a IOS 6 problem and IOS 6.0.1 should solve the issue...

Anyways, so i got a new I5 from apple store ( They exchanged it without any problem )

But, this new I5 has the same issue , and this new phone is on 6.0.1

Do you guys have noticed such problem ?? :confused:

Interesting problem. Id be curious to know whether the headphones work if you plug them back in right away. Submit a bug report to apple. What headphones are you using?

Daveoc64

macrumors 601
Jan 16, 2008
Bristol, UK
This is most definitely a problem with either the phone (looking unlikely if it happens with a replacement) or iOS.

When there's nothing in the headphone socket, the phone should pick up on that - third party headset or not.

jigsb007

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 11, 2010
Interesting problem. Id be curious to know whether the headphones work if you plug them back in right away. Submit a bug report to apple. What headphones are you using?

That is right, if i plug it back i can continue my call..
where can i submit a bug report ??

jigsb007

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 11, 2010
don't really see the problem, you were talking on a non-apple headphone and pulled the plug in the middle of talking. The phone then didn't register that, just pull the headphones out before you answer the call.

well, let me give you 2 scenarios...

1 ) if I am listing music/video, and accept a call with headphone, It’s fine I can talk and finish my call. But if I remove headphone in between, it doesn’t switch to phone. But if I put it back I can continue talk.

2) if I am listing music/video and if I receive a call, if i pull the headphone out b4 i accept call, still audio /mic goes to HP. So, if I put it back, I can talk/listen call.

Not only that, if I hang-up my phone ..the next 5-7 minutes if I try to call, it goes to headphone...

so, sometime I have to restart...Pain in But after spending $399 + 2 years contact...for this piece of shi##.

tymaster50

Suspended
Oct 3, 2012
Oregon
well, let me give you 2 scenarios...

1 ) if I am listing music/video, and accept a call with headphone, It’s fine I can talk and finish my call. But if I remove headphone in between, it doesn’t switch to phone. But if I put it back I can continue talk.

2) if I am listing music/video and if I receive a call, if i pull the headphone out b4 i accept call, still audio /mic goes to HP. So, if I put it back, I can talk/listen call.

Not only that, if I hang-up my phone ..the next 5-7 minutes if I try to call, it goes to headphone...

so, sometime I have to restart...Pain in But after spending $399 + 2 years contact...for this piece of shi##.

Did you ever think maybe it could be your headphones? Never happened on apple headphones for me. And if it's such a piece of crap then why do you still have it?

jigsb007

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 11, 2010
No I already have one, sell it on eBay and get another phone then.

Thats the problem, i dont want to sell it for $300 - $400..

Lets not continue arguing each other...
Please dont reply , if you dont know what you are talking about...
just read the thread what others are saying..:mad:

shakeman0

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2009
I'd say the headphones aren't the issue as long as they're are "Made for iPhone". I would give it a shot with another set of headphones and see if that fixes it. iOS should be recognizing when headphones are removed regardless of the brand though.

jigsb007

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 11, 2010
I'd say the headphones aren't the issue as long as they're are "Made for iPhone". I would give it a shot with another set of headphones and see if that fixes it. iOS should be recognizing when headphones are removed regardless of the brand though.

Good, thats what i thought, that Headphone is a headphone...aslong as its 3.5mm. i havent tried with apple's headphone. i am using HTC headphones at work..will give a try with Apple's..

chrscap

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2012
Ive tried a non-iphone headphone, if you pull it out during a talk, press the home key twice in between the pull, hold both volume buttons and swipe up, it will pause, glitch and restart. Damn this bug.

mojohanna

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2004
Cleveland
Exactly.

The iPhone uses an industry standard port and Apple does not suggest that it is incompatible with any specific accessory.

This is not exactly true. all 3.5mm headphones are not equal. Does your headphone support the voice and volume inputs (ie the controls on the headphones?) Does your headphone jack have the three distinct bands on the jack or just two.
If it is just two, that means they are trying to support the other functions with the two signals vs. the three bands that apple uses in their headphones. The third band allows for all of the voice controls etc. I have notice that if I use this type of headphone on a device that does not use the third band, I don't get the right sound output.
If your headphones do have the third band, I would check them against an Apple pair to see if they are lined up. For that matter, the other simple thing to check would be to try to replicate this issue with the apple headphones that came with your phone. If they don't work, its a hardware/software issue. If they do work, chances are its your replacement headphones.

Daveoc64

macrumors 601
Jan 16, 2008
Bristol, UK
This is not exactly true. all 3.5mm headphones are not equal. Does your headphone support the voice and volume inputs (ie the controls on the headphones?) Does your headphone jack have the three distinct bands on the jack or just two

These are still industry standards.

The fact remains that no matter what you put into the socket, removing it should cause the iPhone to stop using it.

mojohanna

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2004
Cleveland

The fact remains that no matter what you put into the socket, removing it should cause the iPhone to stop using it.

Not if you are using a product that is non-apple or something that is not up to standards you are mentioning. There is a lot of crap out there and it could easily be the headphones.

Again, the simple way to test is to use the apple included phones and if it does the same thing, then the OP has a real issue. If not, I would suggest that it is the issue of the headphones and NOT the hardware or software associated with the phone itself.

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007

Just because a standard exists doesn't mean EVERY vendor follows it religiously.

It could be Apple, OR it could be cheap headphones that don't conform to the standard. The fact that everyone seems to have a hard time replicating the OPs problem so far would point to defective headphones.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.