Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ToomeyND

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2011
I'm with Cockney, that guy had 0 reason to come on this thread and tell everyone they were crazy. You don't think it's an issue, don't post. Others here can see the difference. I literally held up the SAME PAGE on the 4 and the mini. They were different colors. The apple guy saw the same thing. Did I infect his head too? No. No reason for him to act that way. Cockney, you were right to call him out.

Edit: PrayforDeath (great name, smh), do planes not crash because you have never seen one happen yourself?

silver8ack

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2010
Congrats man! I just returned a MacBook Air for the ipad 4. The MBA was awesome, but I just don't like bringing it places or on the couch or reading in bed, etc. plus I have my iMac for home use.

I did get an apple keyboard and the incase origami thing. It's an awesome combo. I want a different case or else I was going to get the Logitech slim thing.

Best of luck with it!

Sep 10, 2012
I'm with Cockney, that guy had 0 reason to come on this thread and tell everyone they were crazy. You don't think it's an issue, don't post. Others here can see the difference. I literally held up the SAME PAGE on the 4 and the mini. They were different colors. The apple guy saw the same thing. Did I infect his head too? No. No reason for him to act that way. Cockney, you were right to call him out.

Edit: PrayforDeath (great name, smh), do planes not crash because you have never seen one happen yourself?

Nice one, Toomey ;)

... guess what? I actually got a two day ban for putting him in his place!! HaHa.

Say what you mean, and mean what you say ... that's me.

I am just SICK of the tricky (and unnecessary) comments that I come across on forums ... know what I mean?

Anyway, I'm back now so sweet.

Hope you're well, buddy ...

ctyrider

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2012
Nice one, Toomey ;)

... guess what? I actually got a two day ban for putting him in his place!! HaHa.

"Haha" Keep at it, and you will get banned from here permanently. People will disagree with your opinions / observations on the Internet forums, get used to it. You can disagree with people without name calling and getting bent out of shape.

Sep 10, 2012
"Haha" Keep at it, and you will get banned from here permanently. People will disagree with your opinions / observations on the Internet forums, get used to it. You can disagree with people without name calling and getting bent out of shape.

Oooeeerrr!

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
i still got the iPad 3, was a bit sad but i played around with my cousins new iPad 4 and i didnt really notice that much of a difference, even speedwise. thx god in my case. less to be jealous about :D

Sep 10, 2012
can't wait to see the difference from going from the ipad 2 to the 4.

Huge difference, mate.

Be warned, though, that I have had to return quite a few because of dust under the screen. This latest replacement (only got it yesterday) is going back because there is a gap at the top (between the bezel and the aluminium) and the Home Button is a bit loose.

If you can, buy one next Friday which is Black Friday and you should get about £30 off the price.

Good luck ...

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Huge difference, mate.

Be warned, though, that I have had to return quite a few because of dust under the screen. This latest replacement (only got it yesterday) is going back because there is a gap at the top (between the bezel and the aluminium) and the Home Button is a bit loose.

If you can, buy one next Friday which is Black Friday and you should get about £30 off the price.

Good luck ...

Cheers

Is that in store or online? or both?

cheers I'm planning on getting the 32GB model so getting money off would be a good idea.

Sep 10, 2012
Cheers

Is that in store or online? or both?

cheers I'm planning on getting the 32GB model so getting money off would be a good idea.

Should be both, buddy.

I called Covent Garden this morning & the fella said it would be both but don't quote me!

A nice 30 quid or so off would be nice ... also discounts on accessories so all in all you could end up getting a Smart Cover or Smart Case for free?

Apple charges insane money for their gear so it's nice to get something back ;)

i4t4fun

macrumors newbie
Nov 17, 2012
Huge difference, mate.

Good luck ...

Hey Cockney,
did you finally get one w/ no dust under the screen? and did you experience any backlight bleeding?

Sep 10, 2012
Hey Cockney,
did you finally get one w/ no dust under the screen? and did you experience any backlight bleeding?

I took it back yesterday and got another one ... but this one has a gap at the top of the bezel (where it meets the aluminium) and a loose Home Button!

It goes without saying that I'm taking it back next week.

Couldn't be bothered to do it today as no doubt there will be an issue with the next one as well (Apple's QC has become a joke) so I'm not going to put myself out ...

Thanks for asking, mate ;)

Re bleeding ... I've found that all the white models have bleeding. I've not bought black this time round (4th gen) so can't comment on the black models.

I just want a "good one" so that I can just get on and enjoy it :rolleyes:

i4t4fun

macrumors newbie
Nov 17, 2012
I took it back yesterday and got another one ... but this one has a gap at the top of the bezel (where it meets the aluminium) and a loose Home Button!

It goes without saying that I'm taking it back next week.

Couldn't be bothered to do it today as no doubt there will be an issue with the next one as well (Apple's QC has become a joke) so I'm not going to put myself out ...

Thanks for asking, mate ;)

Re bleeding ... I've found that all the white models have bleeding. I've not bought black this time round (4th gen) so can't comment on the black models.

I just want a "good one" so that I can just get on and enjoy it :rolleyes:

Um yeah I've got the 32gb white version as well. Have you experienced a brightness "pumping" effect, as described in the other thread, while watching a movie with lots of dark and black backgrounds?

Sep 10, 2012
Um yeah I've got the 32gb white version as well. Have you experienced a brightness "pumping" effect, as described in the other thread, while watching a movie with lots of dark and black backgrounds?

I don't know about any brightness "pumping", mate?

I now that the brightness setting got all screwed up with iOS 6 ... across all devices.

I think 6.01 sorted it out a bit, though?

----------

Oh lets form a club!....your not alone there friend!

To be truthful, I actually thought I didn't "need" an iPad, but I just WANTED an iPad :)

However, I am now addicted ... maybe another idea for a club would be "iPad anonymous"??

"Hello, I'm the Cockney Rebel, and I'm an iPad addict ... ".

... "we'll done, Cockney ... thanks for sharing!" - [applause!]

i4t4fun

macrumors newbie
Nov 17, 2012
I don't know about any brightness "pumping", mate?

I now that the brightness setting got all screwed up with iOS 6 ... across all devices.

I think 6.01 sorted it out a bit, though?

----------

To be truthful, I actually thought I didn't "need" an iPad, but I just WANTED an iPad :)

However, I am now addicted ... maybe another idea for a club would be "iPad anonymous"??

"Hello, I'm the Cockney Rebel, and I'm an iPad addict ... ".

... "we'll done, Cockney ... thanks for sharing!" - [applause!]

LOL sorry about the confusion. Have a quick look at this thread https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1484132/.

i4t4fun

macrumors newbie
Nov 17, 2012
Aah yeh, I noticed this the other night!

I was switching between mixing in the Djay app and browsing in Safari and I noticed that the screen would look really washed out!

I think that this is probably another iOS 6 bug, though?
I'm not sure, some people are saying it is and some are saying its not. Sorry but I have one more question, when you say you experienced backlight bleeding on all your units, did you increase the brightness to 100% and viewed the ipad in a completely black image in a dark room? Also, did apple base your return day on your exchanged product or your original purchase? Argh, sorry for all the questions man, when I purchased my ipad I was expecting to have a perfect device for what I was paying , not this BS!

dazz87

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2007
First Ipad too, and loving it so far. Blows away my TF running jeanbelly......Everything is so much polish vs android. There are things I do miss about android, but surfing the net, and battery life is my two main concern. I cant believe how long the battery last on the new ipad, and the standby time is amazing.

Sep 10, 2012
I'm not sure, some people are saying it is and some are saying its not. Sorry but I have one more question, when you say you experienced backlight bleeding on all your units, did you increase the brightness to 100% and viewed the ipad in a completely black image in a dark room? Also, did apple base your return day on your exchanged product or your original purchase? Argh, sorry for all the questions man, when I purchased my ipad I was expecting to have a perfect device for what I was paying , not this BS!

I ALWAYS use a completely black environment ... I also do this when THOROUGHLY checking for dead pixels, by increasing brightness to 100% and searching for "dead pixel test" on YouTube (use an app called Jasmine which is the best iPad YouTube app) ... you want the first video listed ;) - lock your screen's rotation, double tap the video to make it full screen, then pause on each colour (ESPECIALLY black & white) and FULLY scan every inch of your screen. Even rotate the screen to really expose any dead pixels, should there be any.

Some people may think that this is overkill but I'd rather thoroughly check when I first buy it, then happen across a dead pixel at a later stage and be stuck with it ...

As for dates of exchanges: I make sure I am in complete control ... when I return something to Apple, I get a full refund then buy again. That way, I ALWAYS have a complete 14 days and I can simply "give up" and get my money back at any time if I simply cannot find a perfect unit.

It's so sad that I/we have to go through all of this rubbish when buying a premium product but the sad fact is that this is the way it is with Apple ...

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.