Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

do you have a PASSCODE on you iPhone?

• Yes, and it's a 4 digit one.

Votes: 135 55.1%
  • Yes, and it's a complicated one (numbers + letters)

Votes: 18 7.3%
  • Nope, I prefer to take a risk

Votes: 70 28.6%
  • (I like ponies)

Votes: 22 9.0%

• Total voters

TonyTouch

macrumors newbie
Oct 8, 2012
I don't use a code. I find it annoying to have to punch it every time I want to look at the phone.

adam044

macrumors 65816
Jan 24, 2012
Boston
Just incase I lose it I don't want people to access stuff. I know I can remotely wipe it but still

deannnnn

macrumors 68020
Jun 4, 2007
New York City & South Florida
I wish I could set my phone to require a passcode to power off. That way if it's ever stolen, the thief would not be able to turn it off and disconnect it from the network, so I'd be able to track it down with Find My iPhone.

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
No, I think it's foolish to have one, at least in the case on why my entire family has one on their phone. My dad doesn't want my mom to go snooping in his phone, my mom doesn't want him to do the same thing, and either does my little brother. I don't have one on my devices and never have.

And the funny thing is that I have access to their iCloud and iTunes accounts, aswell as their e-mail accounts, so it's not like it works anyway.

I also have their passcodes. :eek:

compwiz1202

macrumors 604
May 20, 2010
Complex after five minutes locked. Why did you make I like ponies mutually exclusive :(

I think the full keyboard should come up regardless of having only numbers. Only numbers already tells the thief you only have numbers.

Last edited:

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
That's pretty pointless for a lock.

Find My Friends requires your password unless you have PassCode set. This would allow him (and me) to access that, and other similar features, more easily when one doesn't really have the need for one to begin with.

EarthNeutron

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 6, 2010
Earth
Find My Friends requires your password unless you have PassCode set. This would allow him (and me) to access that, and other similar features, more easily when one doesn't really have the need for one to begin with.

Yeah, and once you have a passcode you don't have to enter Find My iPhone/Friends password again :D pretty cool huh?

thegreati

macrumors regular
Feb 22, 2012
PROTIP : If you have a passcode on your device and for some reason or another you are trying to recover your data from the device after water damage or severe damage to the device. You will be unable to access it because you will need to enter a passcode before given iTunes access.

Take off your passcode if you live a wild lifestyle

chrscap

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2012
PROTIP : If you have a passcode on your device and for some reason or another you are trying to recover your data from the device after water damage or severe damage to the device. You will be unable to access it because you will need to enter a passcode before given iTunes access.

Take off your passcode if you live a wild lifestyle

No passcode for me, DAM im Wild! so Wild! woo hoo.....yeah....

Mliii

macrumors 65816
Jan 28, 2006
Southern California
Used to have one. Started as a simple one, then went to a more complicated one. But my phone basically lives in my pocket these days, so i don't feel the need to have one- at least not for now.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
I have too much sensitive stuff on my phone not to have one. I just use a four digit pass code.

Btw, keeping a good eye on your phone doesn't matter too much if you are mugged. I've only been mugged once but they didn't take my phone which was a dumb phone at the time.

Beeplance

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2012
The password for my 3GS is 12022, if anyone wants to know.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 38

Sital

macrumors 68020
May 31, 2012
New England
If I travel, I'll use a 4-digit passcode. At home and for normal day-to-day stuff I don't use a passcode because I got tired of entering it. I know it doesn't make any sense - I spend 90-95% of my time at home, but that's when I don't passcode the phone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.