Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sillywabbit

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 10, 2012
Anyone with a White iPhone 5 have any peeling of the clear coat on the aluminum portion which is sandwiched between the two glass panels on the rear of the phone ?

Mine is peeling where the aluminum meets the glass panel (top and bottom) on the rear of the phone. :(

Yes, I have a case (rubbery type).

I got rid of the 2 black iPhone 5's because of the nicks/scuffs out of the box to get a not so nice looking white iPhone 5 only to face the clear coat issue.

EDITED (Pic added/Best I could do):

Top Portion:

FlakeLGTop.jpg

Bottom Portion:

FlakeSmBtm.jpg

UPDATE: Operation "Flake Exchange" has been successful! :D

I got a MINT replacement (no nicks, scuffs, etc), except there was one slight scratch on the back of the phone on the aluminum, however, it does not bother me considering my original one as mentioned above was worse.

This one was made on WEEK 37 (September) with a serial no. starting with DNPJ.

I don't know if it was a refurb or it was just someone else's original phone and re-boxed in a white box because of the scratch.

BTW: Here is a link to see when your phone was built and which factory it was assembled at:

http://www.chipmunk.nl/klantenservice/applemodel.html

Last edited:

sillywabbit

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 10, 2012
That is what I thought (no clear coat) until I noticed my WHITE iPhone 5 has its clear coat peeling in the rear where the glass meets the metal, however, only along the edge.

I can't post a pic because it is impossible to see it (because the phone is soo white and light and the clear coat is, well, clear) unless you are in person.

I went to the Apple Store and Apple employee acknowledged he saw the clear coat peeling. He was willing to exchange it but had to have approval from a manager.

He came back and said they couldn't do anything about it and will not replace it. :mad:

Last edited:

sillywabbit

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 10, 2012
Bump for Picture added. :apple:

As an Aside: Can any MOD/ADMIN change the title of my thread. I accidentally put iPhone 3" instead of "iPhone 5". Editing the post myself won't let me do that.

HowardSmith

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2012
The aluminum, even on the white one, is still anodized, maybe that is flaking off just like th black model and the aluminum is discoloring. Raw aluminum will corroded

John T

macrumors 68020
Mar 18, 2006
UK.
I can't post a pic because it is impossible to see it (because the phone is soo white and light and the clear coat is, well, clear) unless you are in person.

I went to the Apple Store and Apple employee acknowledged he saw the clear coat peeling. He was willing to exchange it but had to have approval from a manager.

He came back and said they couldn't do anything about it and will not replace it. :mad:

Quite right too! If you have to look that hard to see it forget it and get on with life!

sillywabbit

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 10, 2012
Quite right too! If you have to look that hard to see it forget it and get on with life!

John, lets be honest, if it happened to you, you would want it replaced as well. ;) Since it did not happen to you, it is easy for you to say "forget it and get on with life!"

A phone valued at $913.54 (after tax and Apple Care Plus), you expect the phone to be in NEW condition and not flake, chip, scuff, etc. sooo soon. I never had a problem with any of the Android phones I had.

It is not hard to see in person, it is just getting it on camera that is hard. It has to be under certain lighting, at an angle, etc.

Thanks.

----------

The aluminum, even on the white one, is still anodized, maybe that is flaking off just like th black model and the aluminum is discoloring. Raw aluminum will corroded

Thanks Howard, you are probably right, it may be the "anodized" flaking off. I thought it was clear coat.

----------

this happend on mine as well on a corner...should i get it replaced?

Let us know if you have any luck. Thanks

as0016

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2012
check out icarbons or gelaskins. throw a cool skin on it and you'll never notice.

PeterKG

macrumors 6502
May 2, 2003
That is glue or some other residue that, that can be removed using Goof-Off or Goo-Gone. I had the same thing and it cleaned up and is gone. Goof-Off is stronger and that was what worked.

evorc

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2011
Ghost armor matte skin! Done, you will never see, it will give it a nice new finish. Common guys you can't expect apple to replace this. It's one thing if its like that out of the box, but anything else is caused by regular wear and tear. Would you expect the dealership to exchange your car if your clear coat get scratches or swirl marks after driving it for a month? ;)

danielxute

macrumors member
Aug 1, 2011
I had this and it came off by scratching it with my nail over and over. Thought it would scratch it but looks brand new.

VandyChem2009

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2011
Houston, Texas
John, lets be honest, if it happened to you, you would want it replaced as well. ;) Since it did not happen to you, it is easy for you to say "forget it and get on with life!"

A phone valued at $913.54 (after tax and Apple Care Plus), you expect the phone to be in NEW condition and not flake, chip, scuff, etc. sooo soon. I never had a problem with any of the Android phones I had.

It is not hard to see in person, it is just getting it on camera that is hard. It has to be under certain lighting, at an angle, etc.

Thanks.

----------

Thanks Howard, you are probably right, it may be the "anodized" flaking off. I thought it was clear coat.

----------

People can talk about value over true cost all they want but realistically if you paid $913.54 that is your own fault. Got mine for about $134 after selling my 64 GB 4s. Why anyone would just straight pay full retail for something that can be made for less then 200 bucks is beyond me.

sillywabbit

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 10, 2012
People can talk about value over true cost all they want but realistically if you paid $913.54 that is your own fault. Got mine for about $134 after selling my 64 GB 4s. Why anyone would just straight pay full retail for something that can be made for less then 200 bucks is beyond me.

Well, if I factor in all the black iPhone 5's that I bought with scuffs and re-sold them at a profit, then I guess my current WHITE iPhone 5 (with Apple care Plus) was free, but that is besides the point.

Other pay full retail because they want to keep their unlimited data plan or they are not up for renewal of their contract.

The iPhone, regardless of who manufactured it should be in NEW condition withOUT any defects.

----------

check out icarbons or gelaskins. throw a cool skin on it and you'll never notice.

Thanks for the input, I will check it out. I have a case, so I may just live with it since Apple doesn't seem to care UNLESS someone decides to do a class action lawsuit. That will get their attention only because it is bad publicity and their image.

----------

That is glue or some other residue that, that can be removed using Goof-Off or Goo-Gone. I had the same thing and it cleaned up and is gone. Goof-Off is stronger and that was what worked.

Thanks, but I am pretty sure it is not residue.

----------

Ghost armor matte skin! Done, you will never see, it will give it a nice new finish. Common guys you can't expect apple to replace this. It's one thing if its like that out of the box, but anything else is caused by regular wear and tear. Would you expect the dealership to exchange your car if your clear coat get scratches or swirl marks after driving it for a month? ;)

I think cars come with corrosion warranty, but I think that is not a good analogy though, but I see your point.

Last edited:

cambookpro

macrumors 604
Feb 3, 2010
United Kingdom

You pay the rest during your contract. Works to about the same, in the UK anyway. In fact, buying at retail and using on a cheap plan is cheaper in the long run.

gsugolfer

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2010
Georgia, USA
You pay the rest during your contract. Works to about the same, in the UK anyway. In fact, buying at retail and using on a cheap plan is cheaper in the long run.

In this US, your service is the same price either way, unless you use a carrier that's not one of the big three.

chrscap

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2012
Oh snap, clear coat? ima cut n buff my phone! Maybe use some wax, some rain-x on the glass and park it in the garage!

VandyChem2009

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2011
Houston, Texas
Well, if I factor in all the black iPhone 5's that I bought with scuffs and re-sold them at a profit, then I guess my current WHITE iPhone 5 (with Apple care Plus) was free, but that is besides the point.

Other pay full retail because they want to keep their unlimited data plan or they are not up for renewal of their contract.

The iPhone, regardless of who manufactured it should be in NEW condition withOUT any defects.

----------

Thanks for the input, I will check it out. I have a case, so I may just live with it since Apple doesn't seem to care UNLESS someone decides to do a class action lawsuit. That will get their attention only because it is bad publicity and their image.

----------

Thanks, but I am pretty sure it is not residue.

----------

I think cars come with corrosion warranty, but I think that is not a good analogy though, but I see your point.

I don't mean to offend you or get you on the defensive but scuffs, marks, and scratches are not defects. By definition a defect is something the renders a product unusable for it's intended purpose. So yeah your little OCD fest is simply just someone expecting perfection from an imperfect system. How you resold scuffed iPhone 5's for a profit is very questionable but I'll take your word for it. Besides what you are picturing looks to me to just be any old smudge caused by placing the phone down on a rough surface or the like. Just put the thing in a case and move on. Don't want to use a case, then accept that these things are going to happen.

John T

macrumors 68020
Mar 18, 2006
UK.

For goodness sake, no I wouldn't! The secret of the iPhone is in it's name - it's a phone! How can you see the back when you're using it? Not forgetting of course, you did originally admit that the "marks" were almost impossible to see.

The phone that my iPhone 5 replaced was a faithful old 3GS. Even though I kept it in a case, almost from day one it suffered from the well-known cracks in it's plastic back. Did they bother me? No, not really, I couldn't see them when I used it.

I suppose it's all a case of one's priorities.

AFDoc

Suspended
Jun 29, 2012
Colorado Springs USA for now

Thanks.

----------

----------

OMFG when will you people freaking educate yourself. Anodizing can't "flake" off! It's a chemical change in the aluminum, there is NOTHING to FLAKE off! PLUS you say it's pretty much impossible to see..... meaning you can't really see it..... so how is it an issue?

HowardSmith

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2012
From Wikipedia:

Anodized aluminium surfaces are harder than aluminium but have low to moderate wear resistance, although this can be improved with thickness and sealing.

Although anodizing produces a very regular and uniform coating, microscopic fissures in the coating can lead to corrosion. Further, the coating is susceptible to chemical dissolution in the presence of high and low pH chemistry, which results in stripping the coating and corrosion of the substrate.

Looks like a poor choice for coating for a high wear item and all of this was quite predictable! :eek:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.