Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MrPeripatetic

macrumors member
Nov 5, 2009
New version now available - still no subfolders :(

While no subfolders, I have been told by the developer that the new "Presentation Mode" is their implementation of VGA out. I have yet to try it, but it will hopefully allow the display of the DocAS screen (ink, text, etc.) without showing the user interface. This is essential for lecturers.

Trying this app again now that VGA out has been added, I notice that their handwriting engine, while improved over previous incarnations, is still a little too slow and appears somewhat blurry (even on a new iPad). Overall, the whole app feels a little sluggish. Also, I hope they redo their folder user interface with smaller icons, so that more documents/folders can be viewed at once. It's currently not very efficient.

9squareworkshop

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 9, 2011
Next Generation DocAS ( 5.0) is on the way

Next Generation DocAS ( 5.0) is on the way. Brand new UI design, Brand new experience!!

----------

Sub-folder support will be in DocAS 5.0

dogthateats

macrumors member
Apr 9, 2012
Please consider changing the name under the app as it appears on the homescreen. As it currently stands it reads "DocAs...eader" under the name. I think it would look better and be more professional if it just read "DocAS". Just a friendly suggestion to think about. I really enjoy the app. Thanks for the hard work.

Sydde

macrumors 68030
Aug 17, 2009
IOKWARDI
While DocAs = GoodReader + Notes Plus, we take other way: (iAnnotate + GoodReader) & More = PDF Max ;-) Why don't give it a try, since it's free to start :cool:

Sorry, DocAS is a functioning tool at this time, PDF Max is not even alpha quality. Perhaps it is because I am using an iPad 1, but I was not able to do thing one with your app, but DocAS has actually come in handy for me a couple times.

9squareworkshop

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 9, 2011
DocAS 5.0 is almost there... coming very soon.

Overtime,... overtime everyday working on this brand new upgrade release.
Almost done! :)
Lots of new feature and enhancement. Brand New everything.
sub-folder, multiple audio memo, quick switch...
Coming very soon.

9squareworkshop

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 9, 2011
DocAS 5.0 is on App Store NOW, Cheers!!

DocAS 5.0 is on App Store NOW, Cheers!!
Brand new UI experience;
Brand new Architecture;
Lots of new features and enhancements:)

9squareworkshop

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 9, 2011
Finally, DocAS 5.0.1 is in App store now.

Finally, DocAS 5.0.1 is in App store now.
Lots of enhancement in this release.:)

Sydde

macrumors 68030
Aug 17, 2009
IOKWARDI
Outlines (as in TOCs), fantastic. That is what I was hoping you guys would get around to. Nice clean way to do it (kind of like a menu or dialog rather than taking up screen space). So now, DocAS competes very well with other pdf apps and makes reading in landscape a decent experience.

I do wish the outlines could be the first thing that shows up, or it remembered that it was the last thing I was viewing: if I have no bookmarks in a file and there is an outline, that is what should come up first.

I did like the way it used to stretch the page horizontally to fill the screen in landscape and it would be nice to have that as a preference setting.

I have an iPad 1, the display of content tends to be a little slow and slightly clunky (black squares at times), but I guess there is only so much optimization tailoring you can do. Overall, this has become an excellent little app.

9squareworkshop

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 9, 2011
DocAS 5.1

DocAS 5 is on App Store NOW, Cheers!!
logo_lite_144.png
Free Lite version: http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/docas-lite-pdf-notes-document/id451036875?mt=8

Sydde

macrumors 68030
Aug 17, 2009
IOKWARDI
There is one nice feature to v 5 that really bugs me, though. You have this huge "New" button in the documents list views that is mostly visual clutter and should go away. The icon at the top does the same thing quietly, and document creation, IMO, is not a frequent thing (I could be wrong, it could just be me). So I had this thought:

In the list/folders view, recognize a zoom-in-pinch for the "New" operation (like drawing out a sheet of paper); follow this with the document name dialog, where the user can hit the cancel button if they decide they did not want to make a new document.

At the very least, offer a preference setting for whether we want that big "New" button there.

MrPeripatetic

macrumors member
Nov 5, 2009

Despite what it says in iTunes, DocAS 5.1 still DOES NOT do VGA Presentation Mode (as does Good Notes, Upad, Note Taker HD, Noteshelf, Notes Plus, and others). It did have it in an earlier version, but it was removed when it moved to version 5.x. This is a substantial downgrade.

When projecting over VGA, DocAS 5.1 shows the user interface elements in the projection (the buttons, zoom window, etc.) rather than showing only the resultant ink, text, etc. Only the ink should be publicly displayed, while the user interface should appear only on the iPad screen.

This is a major flaw. Please fix!

jeremyx

macrumors member
Jun 15, 2012
I've been following this and think it's probably time to try this out since I now have an iPad. Any change you will have a discount anytime soon or promo codes?

Kharltz

macrumors newbie
Nov 17, 2012
Need Docas help

As a new user of docas for iPad, I would like to know how to import my Open in documents located on my iPad. Can someone please help me?

9squareworkshop

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 9, 2011
DocAS 6 is coming now.

logo_722x.png
DocAS - PDF Converter,Annotate PDF, Take Notes and Good Reader

Free Lite version: http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/docas-lite-pdf-notes-document/id451036875?mt=8

Full-function version link: http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/id437110885?mt=8
★★★★★ DocAS 6, More fantastic features ★★★★★
★ Shapes Recognition
★ Ruler Locator
★ Build-in PDF converter
★ Autosync to Dropbox
★ Capture from Web
★ Shape re-select and re-edit
★ Generate customized paper template
★ Auto-hide thumbnail bar when handwriting
★ Palm rest enhancement, auto-protect when handwriting
★ Rotate PDF page
Highlight Features:
★ Build-in PDF converter ★ PDF annotator ★ Note Taker ★ Capture from Web ★ Good Reader ★ Advanced Text Note ★ Handwriting ★ Audio Notes ★ PDF Export ★ Printing ★ PDF page organizer ...

DocAS_s4.png

DocAS_s3.png

DocAS_S1.png

DocAS_s2.png

MrPeripatetic

macrumors member
Nov 5, 2009
Despite what it says in iTunes, DocAS 5.1 still DOES NOT do VGA Presentation Mode (as does Good Notes, Upad, Note Taker HD, Noteshelf, Notes Plus, and others). It did have it in an earlier version, but it was removed when it moved to version 5.x. This is a substantial downgrade.

When projecting over VGA, DocAS 5.1 shows the user interface elements in the projection (the buttons, zoom window, etc.) rather than showing only the resultant ink, text, etc. Only the ink should be publicly displayed, while the user interface should appear only on the iPad screen.

This is a major flaw. Please fix!

When will you be fixing/implementing a proper VGA mode as I discuss above? You've said in emails that this would be coming. Is it still planned? ETA?

Atalantia

macrumors newbie
Dec 30, 2012
Germany
DocAs is a fantastic program. The layout is accurate and functionality hits the ceiling. This People really do a great job, and use a lot of brainpower to create this App.
Can I kindly request a promotion code?

seanjean

macrumors newbie
Jan 29, 2013
hi, i'm new to this forum but i also have some suggestions for the next update.
i'm using docas lite and it's been so far one of the best note and annotating app i've tried on my ipad mini. however i recognize some issues with this app and hope for improvement.

first of all the write engine really has to be improved. i mean, if you are trying to write some scientific letters with indeces without the zoombox in a single square on the squared paper template, for instance D_(23) where 23 is at the right bottom of the D, then you'll get badly interpolated numbers. they each looks like a line or kind of it by the interpolation.

otherwise the zoom out mode is way to limited. in case you want to write something more detailed without using the zoombox-function, you aren't able to write properly.

not a must have but nice to have would be the possibility to set the time for the delay of jumping from 1 area to another.

neverthless, can i also get a promotion/discount code for the full version? :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.