Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Is your black iPhone 5 scuffed, chipped or scratched?

• Flawless

Votes: 1,158 46.1%
  • Flawless because I put a case on it.

Votes: 198 7.9%
  • Scuffed out of the box

Votes: 820 32.7%
  • Scuffed/scratched shortly after

Votes: 334 13.3%

• Total voters

besweeet2

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2012
San Antonio, TX
Just got done with my Apple Store appointment. The 2 replacement iPhone 5s were worse than the phone that I already had. They both had more noticeable scuffing along the chamfered edge. They both also had weird gunk between the glass on the back and the metal piece. Will just stick with my current iPhone for a while.

Rhythmic-

macrumors member
Nov 9, 2012
Been reading this thread since Scuffgate surfaced, and it kept me from buying one. Finally decided to get it, and I've been checking every night at 10 to see if the two stores close to me would get it in stock. They finally stocked up last night and we bought two, one's for my little sister.

Both are white, 16GB, week 43 and are completely flawless. Put a Bestskinsever protector as soon as I opened it. Bought a full body kit way back in September, lol. I'm using an SGP screen protector though. Would'nt want to hinder that screen's clarity. :p

One question though: Is anyone else's headphone jack slanted? Both our phones are. I Googled it, and others have it like that as well. I'm guessing it's normal.

Last edited:

AAPLinc

macrumors 65816
Jul 27, 2012
Hollywood, CA
One question though: Is anyone else's headphone jack slanted? Both our phones are. I Googled it, and others have it like that as well. I'm guessing it's normal.

Yeah, even though I don't use headphones in my iPhone (have a separate mp3) my headphone jack on my 4S is slightly angled too and by slight I mean you can't even tell unless you are OCD :). My iPod touch 4G had the same thing. Fairly common.

DataPunk

macrumors newbie
Nov 9, 2012
iPhone 5 Scuffs/scratches

Well I've had my iPhone 5 for 3.5 weeks now and it's only been in my pant pocket or inside jacket pocket with nothing else (keys, coins) and my roommate was looking at it and pointed out that the black metal band around the rim of the phone on both sides and parts of the blue/grey metal on the back side is chipping off. The only thing it's come in contact with is my hand, pocket or table top. A little dissappointed. You can see silver metal underneath the black and blue/grey parts where it's chipping/scuffing. For a phone I paid $450 for this should not be happing in the first month of it's use. I will get a case if they replace the phone but it's sad that you have to hide the design of the phone, it's part of the reason you buy it.
Do you drive around in your awesome looking car with a blanket on it?

AndrewR23

Contributor
Jun 24, 2010
My phone had one scuff. I put skins around it, SP on front and back, wrapped it into a case. Then looked at my phone and realized it looked/felt even worse. Took every skin off, both SP , and the case and have been using it like that for a month. Yes my keys are in my pocket sometimes, even coins. Does not bother me in the slightest.

mebehere

macrumors 65816
Sep 21, 2012
Got mine on launch day. Black. It has one tiny scuff on the chamfered edge. I'm not sure if it was there out of the box or not. Don't use a case, and I have no new scratches. I don't know how that's possible with all the issues out there, but I'm careful with it. I've lightly bumped it against a coffee mug handle a couple times but no damage.

Scratchyphone

macrumors newbie
Nov 2, 2012
Been reading this thread since Scuffgate surfaced, and it kept me from buying one. Finally decided to get it, and I've been checking every night at 10 to see if the two stores close to me would get it in stock. They finally stocked up last night and we bought two, one's for my little sister.

Both are white, 16GB, week 43 and are completely flawless. Put a Bestskinsever protector as soon as I opened it. Bought a full body kit way back in September, lol. I'm using an SGP screen protector though. Would'nt want to hinder that screen's clarity. :p

1. I highly doubt your 2 iphones are flawless. You're likely one of those types of who need some friend to point out the flaws for you (like the other dude a few posts away).

2. Your jack is slanted. Flaw.

ltb7

macrumors 6502
Nov 5, 2010
the beach
rec'd my brand new retail box, white 16GB and out of box, damaged.....dings on 3 corners and some discoloration on one side

think it is a week 43, will double check

just can't believe it, well on second thought I can...

anyone know how the iPad mini is holding up? have not had a chance to check the forums - thx

Rhythmic-

macrumors member
Nov 9, 2012
1. I highly doubt your 2 iphones are flawless. You're likely one of those types of who need some friend to point out the flaws for you (like the other dude a few posts away).

2. Your jack is slanted. Flaw.

1. Nope. Checked it thoroughly for 10 minutes right after opening it. Nothing. Both are flawless, period.

2. Lots of people have the same thing. All friends who's got the 5 have it as well. Went to an ATT store and Walmart and all 4 iP5s I checked have slanted jacks as well. Coincidental? Highly unlikely. Hell if it's considered a flaw, it's one I ain't losing sleep over, since a sh*ton of 5s I've seen have the same issue. I use a bluetooth 95% of the time anyway.

gsugolfer

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2010
Georgia, USA
1. Nope. Checked it thoroughly for 10 minutes right after opening it. Nothing. Both are flawless, period.

2. Lots of people have the same thing. All friends who's got the 5 have it as well. Went to an ATT store and Walmart and all 4 iP5s I checked have slanted jacks as well. Coincidental? Highly unlikely. Hell if it's considered a flaw, it's one I ain't losing sleep over, since a sh*ton of 5s I've seen have the same issue. I use a bluetooth 95% of the time anyway.

What's this slanted jack?

Picture?

AlyseM

macrumors member
Oct 29, 2012
so many people with scuffs. Thats really bad. Though hopefully no functionality errors were noticed.

AbSoluTc

Suspended
Sep 21, 2008
What's this slanted jack?

Picture?

9781416555490.jpg

ritmomundo

macrumors 68020
Jan 12, 2011
Los Angeles, CA

I don't see any slant on mine. Pictures please, so we can see what you're referring to.

cpc12

macrumors member
Jun 24, 2011
You should not need to put a case on your phone. I got a white one and no issues.

Black bezels will be gone on the 5s

DeeEss

macrumors 6502a
Jan 17, 2011
iPhone Black Anodizing flaking off

I've had the phone a couple of days. I really take care of it. One minute the phone is fine, next minute I look down and the black anodizing has flaked off on the corners of the phone.

Anyone else had this happen yet? I'm taking it back for a replacement.

On the same day I found my Retina Macbook Pro has monitor burn in and will need to be replaced as well :mad:

Attachments

• photo.jpeg
    photo.jpeg
    103.6 KB · Views: 2,481
  • photo copy.jpeg
    photo copy.jpeg
    95.2 KB · Views: 2,378

AFDoc

Suspended
Jun 29, 2012
Colorado Springs USA for now
I've had the phone a couple of days. I really take care of it. One minute the phone is fine, next minute I look down and the black anodizing has flaked off on the corners of the phone.

Anyone else had this happen yet? I'm taking it back for a replacement.

On the same day I found my Retina Macbook Pro has monitor burn in and will need to be replaced as well :mad:
Anodizing doesn't "flake" off, it's impossible. Anodizing is a chemical change in the surface of the aluminum, there is nothing to flake. Friction caused your issues so you weren't as careful as you thought you were. We can discuss (as has been in tons of other threads you should of added to instead of starting another) the decision of apple to offer black anodizing with such a thin anodizing layer so it is scraped easily, but add yourself to the list of people complaining about something that's impossible to happen (flaking of the color).

DeeEss

macrumors 6502a
Jan 17, 2011
Well I was expecting an answer like this so it's no surprise but - No. I've mollycoddled that thing.

As for your knowledge of anodising well it appears you assume much and know not a great deal. There are many possible anodising production failures, they appear on the magic mouse also. Flaking is one of them. I suggest you check facts before spreading misinformation.

I just rubbed it with my finger. It is INDEED flaking off as a small piece came off just from rubbing it.

Last edited:

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Regardless of how the finish is coming off, it really is immaterial whether you want to call it flaking or rubbing it off.

If you feel the wear and tear is abnormal, then contact apple for a replacement. Please note though its a manufacturing issue and your next iPhone 5 will exhibit the same thing. I recommend a case or skin to protect the finish, or if you're unwilling to do that, then live with the finish coming off or use a different phone.

I'm not trying to sound harsh but those are your options.

SolRayz

macrumors 6502a
Jul 5, 2007
Ft. Lauderdale
Looks like flaking to me. Form over function and presence over quality rears its ugly head once more. Apple could use better materials, but that would stop you from shelling out cash for the upcoming 5S, now wouldn't it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.