Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

phonelover01

macrumors newbie
Nov 7, 2012
BTW: is there a way I can verify based on the serial number, IMEI, etc. whether my new phone is a refurb or a brand new unit? I was told it pretty much depends on stock at the time.

Last edited:

daantje22

macrumors member
Nov 6, 2012
Netherlands
I'm not sure I'm sympathetic to these kinds of assessments; the following snippet from a Tech Crunch article, though a bit harsh, sums it up nicely:

"I’ll be the first to admit that this is the epitome of a First World problem, but this is also a device from a company that makes a big deal about how
its phone was `made with a level of precision you’d expect from a finely crafted watch – not a smartphone.` Supposedly, `each iPhone 5 aluminum housing is photographed by two high-powered 29MP cameras. A machine then examines the images and compares them against 725 unique inlays to find the most precise match for every single iPhone.` Clearly, Apple needs to install some of these cameras at the end of the production line, too."

I spent a significant amount of money on a brand new iPhone 5; it arrived with the "rattling problem" that while it's hardly a deal breaker, it's certainly disconcerting given that other iPhone 5s don't exhibit that issue.

Since I was within my carrier's 14 day DOA window I got a brand new, sealed replacement. This unit doesn't rattle, but there's something wrong with the vibration motor: it's hard to describe but believe me, the vibration sounds dreadful, as though though the motor is "grinding" or rubbing up against some other componentry in the unit.

So now I'm past my carrier's DOA window and phone #3 is on its way from Apple Care, likely a refurb. When weighing the advantages and disadvantages of refurbs over new phones it's clear that this isn't the end of the world.

But it's also clear that there are a few quality control problems with the first few batches of 5s, and given that refurbs are often sold at discounts, it's unfortunate that consumers wanting new phones are being handed refurbs when the problems weren't their fault.

Love Apple, and I know this is just a bump in the road, but still.

BTW: is there a way I can verify based on the serial number, IMEI, etc. whether my new phone is a refurb or a brand new unit? I was told it pretty much depends on stock at the time.

here you can check the serial number and see if it's a refurb

http://www.chipmunk.nl/klantenservice/applemodel.html

evorc

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2011
You got a new phone! Mine is F2NJ week 38 no scuffs! I verified my coworkers newly bought iPhone 5s last week and both were F2MJ.

daantje22

macrumors member
Nov 6, 2012
Netherlands
i got my replacement phone from the netherlands, and it's also C3 week 37, the same as mt first iphone wich has 2 stuck pixels..

Only the model number is different..

the previous was MD663DN wich is common and normal if you google it
and this one says ND663DN :confused: wich is unknown if you google it?

andyx3x

macrumors 65816
Mar 1, 2011
I got a week 38 iPhone 5 as a replacement last night for a week 42 phone that I bought last week.

I don't think there is anyway that a week 38 iPhone could be a refurb. That was the week of the iPhone 5 launch. There is no way an iPhone could be produced that week, shipped to an Apple Store, sold, then returned, then shipped back to the factory, fixed and then shipped back to an Apple Store. No way it could be done that fast.

I personally don't think there could be any refurbs out there yet. It's just way too soon.

BenTrovato

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2012
Canada
Ok you got a refurbished iPhone 5.

So?

Haha exactly. I actually like refurbs. My 4S failed within a few months and I got a refurb. It was rock solid for the entire time I had it. They replace the entire casing and someone's tested the internals, for me that's better quality control than where they get shipped from.

phonelover01

macrumors newbie
Nov 7, 2012
Does anyone know if that Chipmunk site is legitimate? What's the worst thing they could do with your serial number? Also is there any way to figure out whether a phone is new or a refurb?

Last edited:

justinmancini

macrumors newbie
Aug 10, 2012
So.. This is how I feel about the subject..

You walk into an Apple store with an issue with your phone. If they were to repair your phone, and hand it back to you - They'd be giving you a refurbished phone.

Might as well have a refurbished phone that looks brand new and has gone through some quality control, right?

phonelover01

macrumors newbie
Nov 7, 2012
Hi all,

So I figured out how to tell if your phone is new or remanufactured, in case you're wondering. Call Apple up and ask them. :) They have it right there on their screen.

Last edited:

refluxx

macrumors newbie
Nov 21, 2012
So i went to the apple store the other day, the genius told me that the white box replacements are brand new, and that they do not do such things as remanufacturing or giving out refurbs for replacements. I seriously doubt that they are allowed to lie about something like that. What do you guys think?

numberforty1

macrumors 6502
Oct 6, 2012
Canada
honestly i dont think its a big deal whether its refurbished or not. As long as it works and looks like new I dont care if its been used before.

exactly!

if you cannot tell it's been refurbished..what's the big deal?

i do however think apple should be obligated to tell you, and give you a choice.

and the last genius i spoke with said they DO NOT swap out with refurbs, ever.

andyx3x

macrumors 65816
Mar 1, 2011
So i went to the apple store the other day, the genius told me that the white box replacements are brand new, and that they do not do such things as remanufacturing or giving out refurbs for replacements. I seriously doubt that they are allowed to lie about something like that. What do you guys think?

They told me the same thing earlier this year when I got a 4S replaced. The genius told me that only the carriers replace phones with refurbs.

PeevedRefurb

macrumors newbie
Mar 22, 2013
Most DEFINITELY refurbished. They hand out refurbs all day long.

I just got back from my Apple store- took my iPhone5 in. The speaker just stopped working for no apparent reason. They took it to the back to "replace" whatever parts had gone bad, and after 45 minutes the guy comes out and tells me they're just going to give me a new phone, because he'd 'tried two new' speakers, or speaker components, whatever, and neither worked.

1. I asked pointedly if the 'new' phone I would be receiving would be NEW, and not refurbished, and he said that it would be new.

2. He hands me the 'new' phone, and the frame on it was totally dented, in numerous places

3. I look at the guy and laugh, and tell him I want a NEW phone, not a scratched up refurb

4. He gets another phone out of another 'skinny little white box' of death, and sure enough, this one too is scratched up. And has a tiny black hair (puke) stuck between the glass and frame at the top lol.

5. That was their last phone. So I took it. I am now the pissed off owner of someone else's rejected iPhone5.

Ohhhhhh and to top it off nicely, after I'd attempted to sign in with my Apple ID and the phone auto-corrected my email to SOMEONE ELSE'S EMAIL TWICE, I was finally able to 'claim' the used phone.

I bought the 5 on pre-order in October and they shipped it from China- it was beautiful when it arrived. lol. Glossy. Perfect. No dents. I wanted an equal replacement since I paid 800 bucks for the damn thing and the speaker stopped working. I didn't drop the damn thing. Or get it wet. Not my problem. Give me a new freaking phone. But no. They give me a used phone. Blech.

Ahhhh that felt good :) Whatever. So long as I have a damn iPhone 5 that actually works. That's what I paid for. It's still BS.

Chris092881

macrumors 6502
Dec 26, 2012
Most DEFINITELY refurbished. They hand out refurbs all day long.

I just got back from my Apple store- took my iPhone5 in. The speaker just stopped working for no apparent reason. They took it to the back to "replace" whatever parts had gone bad, and after 45 minutes the guy comes out and tells me they're just going to give me a new phone, because he'd 'tried two new' speakers, or speaker components, whatever, and neither worked.

1. I asked pointedly if the 'new' phone I would be receiving would be NEW, and not refurbished, and he said that it would be new.

2. He hands me the 'new' phone, and the frame on it was totally dented, in numerous places

3. I look at the guy and laugh, and tell him I want a NEW phone, not a scratched up refurb

4. He gets another phone out of another 'skinny little white box' of death, and sure enough, this one too is scratched up. And has a tiny black hair (puke) stuck between the glass and frame at the top lol.

5. That was their last phone. So I took it. I am now the pissed off owner of someone else's rejected iPhone5.

Ohhhhhh and to top it off nicely, after I'd attempted to sign in with my Apple ID and the phone auto-corrected my email to SOMEONE ELSE'S EMAIL TWICE, I was finally able to 'claim' the used phone.

I bought the 5 on pre-order in October and they shipped it from China- it was beautiful when it arrived. lol. Glossy. Perfect. No dents. I wanted an equal replacement since I paid 800 bucks for the damn thing and the speaker stopped working. I didn't drop the damn thing. Or get it wet. Not my problem. Give me a new freaking phone. But no. They give me a used phone. Blech.

Ahhhh that felt good :) Whatever. So long as I have a damn iPhone 5 that actually works. That's what I paid for. It's still BS.

Contact Apple corporate. That's what I did. Though the replacement, a white box, they sent me had a loose battery that was rattling around inside. So I called back, they apologized, and offered to send me a brand new sealed retail box, which is what I have now. I think I just got lucky. But you never know.

AFDoc

Suspended
Jun 29, 2012
Colorado Springs USA for now
The fact that people actually care and spend time looking into these types of things makes me laugh. The fact that they take the time to start a thread about it makes me laugh even harder. There has got to be more to your lives (your meaning the people that do things like this) that you can spend to occupy your time. Just saying.

Did you bring them a "new" phone to exchange? Of course not so why do you feel you should get a "new" phone in return? The sense of entitlement is high with some.... seems higher with you.

Chris092881

macrumors 6502
Dec 26, 2012
The sense of entitlement is high with some.... seems higher with you.

Should he at least be entitled to get one back in return in the exact, or close to, condition as the one he's returning? Minus the defects, of course.

AFDoc

Suspended
Jun 29, 2012
Colorado Springs USA for now
Should he at least be entitled to get one back in return in the exact, or close to, condition as the one he's returning? Minus the defects, of course.
Absolutely I agree 100%. I however take issue with those that believe they should get a retail boxed phone. As long as the warranty transfers, which it does, a refurb unit is 100% acceptable.

Chris092881

macrumors 6502
Dec 26, 2012
Absolutely I agree 100%. I however take issue with those that believe they should get a retail boxed phone. As long as the warranty transfers, which it does, a refurb unit is 100% acceptable.

Fair enough. A lot of people swear by the likes of the white-box replacements. I personally went through a few of them and was not impressed by what I received. Nicks and scuffs, discolored antenna seams, lint in the earpiece. The list goes on. But, when considering that Asurion (VZW insurance) doesn't offer a phone with a supposedly new battery, screen, and exterior housing, I'll take my chances with AC+.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.