Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
Perhaps because the terms Apple wants aren't in line with what Samsung should be accepting?

Why should Samsung settle for anything less than the value they believe their IP, etc is worth any more/less than Apple should?

This article says Samsung doesn't want to settle. It says nothing about Apple wanting to settle. It's possible that Apple has the same exact attitude.

I don't think it has to be all of what Apple wants or all of what Samsung wants. It has been stated before that Apple has at least reached out to stop this.

It is very possible that Apple has the same attitude, we don't know. Like every other story out there, there is three sides to it! :)

steve119

macrumors 6502
Mar 2, 2012
Scotland, land of the haggis
Just going to point out engineers and developers (the coders) generally do not do UI design. They are given the design requirements and what it will look like from the design team. They are then let loose figuring out how to make it work with in those designs. This applies to both hardware and software. What you will see happen is the engineers and the coders will some times go back to the design team asking for a change or saying what they want is a not the best idea in terms of design saying what would have to be done under the hood so to speak would come at a heavy cost elsewhere.

Ok then so the engineers/devs don't get to see the ui design, but they have access to what the requirements are, as they have to build for that requirement, so surely there are bound to be leaks right there?

Its nice to have a civil conversation without some tool calling you dense. lol

dennno

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2011
Galaxy SIII and Galaxy Note II have already blown iPhone 5 out of the water, of course I know Apple fanbois are not going to admit this.

So if Apple reinvented "Smartphone", why can't the others follow the trend? Please think about this, Edison owned GE, and what would happen if he never allowed any others to open a power station? Do you think we will have hundreds of electrical appliances being used at home today if Edison acted just like Apple today? Simple!

Your subjective opinions about the Galaxy SIII or Galaxy Note II are irrelevant. Like or not the iPhone was the FIRST phone to reinvent the way we use touch interfaces TODAY. Look at all the phones prior to the iPhone. They've paved the way for Samsung and others by introducing customers to the power of touch based phones.

I'm merely suggesting for Samsung to replicate the same thing Apple has done to the phone and tablet industries but with a new product instead of wasting money on legal battles.

Of course Apple didn't invent touch screens, but their implementation of the touch interface to phones is innovative.

It really baffles me why Samsung fans can't have an objective discussion without bringing in terms like "fanboi". Why are you even on a website dedicated to Apple?

rmwebs

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2007
It's hardly news.

Reporter: "so will you give Apple money when there's still a chance that you can be acquitted and have Apple pay your legal fees?"

Samsung: "Hmm...let me think about that for a second...no."

They would be stupid to settle now that it's gone this far. They actually stand a pretty good chance of winning most of their cases around the world too.

dennno

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2011
Why is it sad? It's a good thing that somebody stands up to Apple. I do agree that hearing about it every day is a bit annoying but if something good comes out of it and makes Apple less of a bully - then so be it.

There are lots of reasons. One, it might be a matter of principal by now. Two, you don't let Apple bully you into submission. If they become successful at it, they'll create lots of precedent and continue doing it. Stopping them earlier is going to be easier than trying to stop them down the road.

Then of course there is billions of dollars lost when they'll have to pay fees to Apple from every phone sold. It's not like Apple's hurting for cash, they're just greedy. Btw, HTC is purely pathetic. I had an HTC phone and hated with a passion but now I see the company is not just sad in engineering sense but in integrity sense as well. I'll make sure to avoid buying any of their products as much as possible.

Yeah I tried using a HTC phone and I just couldn't get around it. I don't know this whole patent war is just a mess. I guess they have to consider various stakeholders, but can you imagine working for Samsung and having your department's budget cut because of these legal battles?

Oletros

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2009
Premià de Mar
Look at all the phones prior to the iPhone. They've paved the way for Samsung and others by introducing customers to the power of touch based phones.

Of course Apple didn't invent touch screens, but their implementation of the touch interface to phones is innovative.

LG Prada?

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
Ok then so the engineers/devs don't get to see the ui design, but they have access to what the requirements are, as they have to build for that requirement, so surely there are bound to be leaks right there?

Its nice to have a civil conversation without some tool calling you dense. lol

no that is not hard to keep under wraps and the teams are not always as big as you think. It could easily be less than 10-15 people working on it.
It is not like things are emailed out and they know to keep it from being leaked out.

Teams can only get so big before you have to many cooks so to speak and often times there are constraints on how fast you can move as different parts are waiting on others.

Ryan John

macrumors regular
Jan 31, 2011
I guess they want that $1bil back.

(1) Why don't they just invest the budget for legal fees on to R&D ,(2) come up with a new product and beat Apple? Guess they're just incapable of doing so.

1) Because they haven't stopped innovating while these court cases have been going on.
2) They already are doing in a number of areas.

It's Apple that seem to have relegated new development to mere a side project and just focused on new versions of the same old thing.

Samsung have scented blood ,are pretty pissed off and have the financial might to really damage Apple if they go full out.

Plus, why should they settle? They have the ability, motivation and resources to fight Apple for as long as is needed?

dennno

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2011
Why do you think they are mutually exclusive. These companies can spend billions in legal fees AND R&D if they wanted.

And they have come up with new products. I guess you're incapable of seeing that though.

Obviously I know that budget is allocated to all departments. But with the decision to pursue further legal battle resources would be cut from other departments to ensure that costs are minimised.

Continued legal battles mean much higher costs linked to the legal expenses. AND if they lose these cases like what happened to the US case, further costs are incurred. Will shareholders be happy then?

Anyway they've budgeted for this I'm sure and have probably done cost-benefit analysis on pursuing further legal action.

StarTrek

macrumors newbie
Oct 5, 2012
Dallas, TX
Wtf!

I have had Samsung and Apple devices, and even I can see that in certain products Samsung have clearly ripped off Apple, do you work for Samsung? I know they pay people to post these kinds of comments (I studied with one of their directors in London). As mentioned numerous times by others Apple have tried to settle with Samsung on quite a few occasions, Samsung are clearly intent on antagonizing Apple. Oh I own a Samsung TV and BD 3D Player, the TV has been replaced twice, I still think it's brilliant, even the BD player will not play half the 3D discs I buy; but when it does it is superb; that's called a balanced approach, which is something Android/Samsung fans seem incapable of i.e. death threats to Apple buyers, absurd claims about Apple (Apple gave me a wedgie and are therefore wedgie trolls).

Right wing fascist tactics will not win you any fans :D

This somehow shows how pathetic Apple fanbois nowadays, they just love Apple, but no facts. Samsung is one of the largest heavy industries on earth today, Samsung even involved in building skyscrapers in UAE and some of the largest container ships today. If you just know Samsung of their washing machine, I suggest you should never travel to UAE or trust any shipping company.

And moreover, your iPhone and iPad has 90% of parts made by Samsung, maybe Apple just designed and made the bodyshell themselves!

When I open up a brand new cMBP or Mac Mini, the first thing I see are two Samsung RAM, so what's happened? Apple trusts a washing machine manufacturer as their parts manufacturer?

Last edited by a moderator:

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
LG Prada?

HTC had some as well that were touch screen based. Mind you not multitouch but that was more of an issue with windows mobile. If you look at sense and compare it back to their win mobile days you can clearly see that a lot of that came from it.

dennno

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2011
1) Because haven't stopped innovating while these court cases have been going on.
2) They already are doing in a number of areas.

It's Apple that seem to have relegated new development to mere a side project and just focused on new versions of the same old thing.

Samsung have scented blood ,are pretty pissed off and have the financial might to really damage Apple if they go full out.

Plus, why should they settle? They have the ability, motivation and resources to fight Apple for as long as is needed?

It's true they may have no reason to settle at this point. But I doubt Apple will back out either. Eventually the costs from these cases would likely exceed any benefits gained and one of them will have to settle; unless the courts provide a quick determination.

subsonix

macrumors 68040
Feb 2, 2008
And phone sucking (subjective)has to be with finger only touch interface in a capacitive screen prior to iPhone exactly how?

And your comment wht it failed comes from....

It's not really subjective (i.e not based on my personal opinion)since the market did not approve. There have been touch screen phones before iPhone, but Apple was the first to get it right. Again, not my opinion, there are sales figures to prove that I'm far from alone.

If LG Prada was a true pre cursor and a great implementation of a touch screen phone then it would have been a success, again sales figures tells the story.

Tigger92

macrumors member
Sep 22, 2009
North Carolina
Originally Posted by HarryKNN21
Galaxy SIII and Galaxy Note II have already blown iPhone 5 out of the water, of course I know Apple fanbois are not going to admit this.

Here you go:
http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-57505552-37/upset-iphone-4s-surrenders-u.s-crown-to-galaxy-s3/

and it's about most SELLING!!!! so please don't start that "shipping numbers" discussion again.

Thanks for the reference, but that is for the iPhone 4s not the iPhone 5 as he was claiming. And I completely agree...it is about the number of phones selling that really matters. So far, I just haven't seen any numbers that points to either one being ahead....

TMay

macrumors 68000
Dec 24, 2001
Carson City, NV
I have an idea - let's take something irrelevant and then make it even more irrelevant to the thread.

Samsung isn't interested in settling. No surprise there. No idea why people are arguing back and forth. It doesn't make sense for Samsung to settle. Anyone/everyone could at least agree on that.

It has to do with Samsung's attitude towards negotiation. Samsung is 20% of South Korea's economy. There isn't anything close to comparable in the U.S. as antitrust laws wouldn't allow it.

Samsung wouldn't negotiate prior to the lawsuits, and Samsung won't after.

Until they have to, which Samsung will at some point. Samsung SEP's aren't going to stop Apple from pursuing future IP infringement. Welcome to the future.

duffman9000

macrumors 68020
Sep 7, 2003
Deep in the Depths of CA
Just going to point out engineers and developers (the coders) generally do not do UI design. They are given the design requirements and what it will look like from the design team. They are then let loose figuring out how to make it work with in those designs. This applies to both hardware and software. What you will see happen is the engineers and the coders will some times go back to the design team asking for a change or saying what they want is a not the best idea in terms of design saying what would have to be done under the hood so to speak would come at a heavy cost elsewhere.

The "coders"? You don't have a clue guy. We are not called "coders". In fact, I've never heard anyone on a software development team refer to themselves as coders. Here are clues: Software Engineer, Senior Engineer, Principle Engineer...

The hardware engineers and software engineers at our company work hand in hand on a product. The hardware engineers take the brunt of the work at the beginning while the software engineers take the brunt at the end.

The only thing remotely accurate in your "post" is the need for the software engineers to talk to the hardware engineers (and the driver team). I'm much more likely to talk to the driver team to discover what API calls are too expensive to make often.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.