Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

redmounts

macrumors newbie
Nov 12, 2012
Sorry but being from Brazil and living in the US for over 10 years it still drives me crazy that Brazilians HAVE to have whatever is sold in the US. If Americans are buying, that must be cool so we have to have it. Brazilians do not buy iPhones because they are great phones. They buy because they like to show off. I just came back from a business trip to Brazil and could not believe how many people I saw sitting in fancy restaurants with an iPad open sitting on the table just to show others they had it. Same in business meetings when people bring an iPad, open them and leave them on the table again just to show off. I agree that Sao Paulo should have an Apple Store but unfortunately that won’t bring prices down. It will probably be located at Iguatemi or JK Malls where only millionaires can afford and again they will buy devices to show off. Sad!!!!!

You are mistaken. Certainly Brazilians pay higher prices in comparison to US and Europe. Cars is just an example of how industries/retailers here have larger margin profits than in most countries with the same product. However, Brazilians are also willing to pay for premium brand goods, such as Apple devices. Your opinion is also wrong about Brazilians wanting expensive goods only to show off. I am one who have paid almost U$1200 for an iPhone 4S. Expensive? Yes, but I had the money and I wanted the best smartphone available for my business and my private life. Wake up man, Brazil is not the perfect place for shopping, but it's one of the driving forces in today's global economy. It is still light years behind US and Europe, even in time of crises in the last two. But its economy is strong enough to Apple consider a retail store here. Good for Apple, good for us.

Affeno

macrumors newbie
Nov 12, 2012
Maceió, Brazil.
So how long does it take to open an Apple store from this phase on? I'm trying to anticipate when Turkish store will open. So excited.

Also i am guessing with these stores, online apple stores, itunes music and video stores will also launch at Brazil and Turkey.

finally Apple!

this means for me: Apple Care, lower prices, customer support at last, iTunes and online stores.

Can this also mean we will get products earlier when they launch? Do they give priority to countries with stores? I mean it's been months since iPhone 5 launched, it even launched in India but still not in Turkey. Do countries with store have priorities?

Emir, I'm afraid Apple's policy on where to open online stores, iTunes Store for music and videos is different from retail stores. Brazil opened its apple online store a couple of years ago. iTunes Store only launched on December 2011.

China is a good example of how different their policies are. They already have several retail stores, but no track of an iTunes Store, which is restricted to some apps. I don't know if there is an online store available. Probably.

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
Greece has it's iEconomy at the moment (don't know how many years that takes)

Dude. plz, can you link me this post. I really liked to reply to it )))

----------

Greece need to sort it's iEonomy and after that iStore

what post, huh?

emir

macrumors 6502a
Apr 5, 2008
Istanbul
Emir, I'm afraid Apple's policy on where to open online stores, iTunes Store for music and videos is different from retail stores. Brazil opened its apple online store a couple of years ago. iTunes Store only launched on December 2011.

China is a good example of how different their policies are. They already have several retail stores, but no track of an iTunes Store, which is restricted to some apps. I don't know if there is an online store available. Probably.

Turkey has an iTunes store but it's only for apps. They recently changed the currency from $ to Turkish Lira. I said i was expecting an iTunes store for music and movies because i've seen a rumor about 8-12 months ago that said Apple was getting prepared to launch iTunes store for Turkey and there were some other countries mentioned. The reason i want the online store is to be able to order configured macs. Also Turkey doesn't have a paid music or movie service right now so it would be an opportunity for Apple. I see iPhones iPads and Macs everywhere around me. Ecosystem is ready

Also i've done some research and found out that Apple rolled out the iPhone 5 to all countries with stores in 2 weeks except China. I am guessing they launched in China later because pf huge quantities. In Turkey we still don't have iphone 5 and on grey market it's about 1500$ which makes no sense. When the store opens hopefully we will get new products at most 2 weeks later from Us, Uk and such?

blublibla

macrumors newbie
Nov 13, 2012
Brazil is still a very poor country, shall we look at the numbers?

Germany x Brazil

Brazilian Population: 199,321,413
German Population: 81,305,856

GDP in Brazil: $2.324 trillion (US Dollar)
GDP in Germany: $3.139 trillion (US Dollar)

I'm Brazilian,

That you don't like what your countries does is ok. That you say it to say European countries or America is better shows you're an ignorant coward.

The fact that a "developing" country like Brazil makes up 3/4 of one of supposedly most economically powerful nation of the world means big, especially if you look at the growth of Brazil, and the recession of Germany.

blublibla

macrumors newbie
Nov 13, 2012
Where did you come From?
I never said I ''liked'' USA or EU better.
What's with all the nacionalism?

If you read my entire post, I never said Brazil wasn't ''developing''.
All I said was that Brazil is still poor. Hey, it's not me, it's the numbers.

Recession in Germany? O really? Where?
Tell me more about Germanys Recession, I'm curious.

Recession in Germany is a matter of time, just after France which just entered in recession and UK soon.

Brazil is only growing and "developing", so is its middle class.

Affeno

macrumors newbie
Nov 12, 2012
Maceió, Brazil.
Turkey has an iTunes store but it's only for apps. They recently changed the currency from $ to Turkish Lira. I said i was expecting an iTunes store for music and movies because i've seen a rumor about 8-12 months ago that said Apple was getting prepared to launch iTunes store for Turkey and there were some other countries mentioned. The reason i want the online store is to be able to order configured macs. Also Turkey doesn't have a paid music or movie service right now so it would be an opportunity for Apple. I see iPhones iPads and Macs everywhere around me. Ecosystem is ready

Also i've done some research and found out that Apple rolled out the iPhone 5 to all countries with stores in 2 weeks except China. I am guessing they launched in China later because pf huge quantities. In Turkey we still don't have iphone 5 and on grey market it's about 1500$ which makes no sense. When the store opens hopefully we will get new products at most 2 weeks later from Us, Uk and such?

Well, I hope both Turkey and Brazil can move foward on this subject. I also think things are ready here for a retail store, since it's the only thing left to do. We didn't have ebooks sold when the full iTunes Store for paid content launched last year in Brazil, but they immediately launched iBooks Store here apparently when Amazon rumored to start its activities until April 2013 in Brazil.

Anyway, the logic to open iTunes Store, Apple Online Store and Retail stores appear to be different, but I firmly agree with you: one thing and its successful experience might justify the other, but there is no standard sequence on them. A curiosity: so far they are maintaining prices for books, films, apps and music here in US dollar instead of Brazilian real. And they might face law issues soon if they keep it that way.

Apr 17, 2005
Currently in Switzerland
Your a nacionalist and all your arguments are invalid.
I was not comparing Brazil to Germany, I was showing you the difference in population x gdp.
Study more about the economy before we can have a proper discussion.

I suggest you learn more about ''population''...
The only reasons we have such a huge IT & Automobile market is because we have such a huge population.

If your Brazilian, you know that, people pay everything in monthly down payments. 12/24/36 months.

If you consider "credit" money, then let's go back to my first point.
Study more Economy.

Kid, instead of throwing stupid ad personam nonsense at me, at least try to respond with true arguments. I have a postgraduate degree in international trade and economics and know very well what the heck I am talking about. And I am glad I am a nationalist - at least I try to defend my place instead of bashing it nonstop.

Besides, I was simply stating FACTS that you, of course, are not able to counter because you can't even write proper English - Apple doesn't care if everyone in a country is a millionaire; it cares whether the place has a sizeable upscale market to be served, period.

Regardless of the fact that large poverty areas still exist, the simple fact is that Brazil has a huge population eager to consume. In any case, you disregard absolute market sizes just because you want to.

Finally, the fact that a person buys on credit or not is irrelevant; ownership transfer still takes place sooner or later (not to mention that I know a LOT of people in Brazil who prefer to save and buy everything in a single payment). And if taxes were much lower in Brazil you'd see two basic things happening: a LOT more people buying on the spot, and a LOT more poorer people finally buying those same things on credit.

And sorry to burst your mongrel dog bubble; but I currently live in Switzerland and have several relatives and friends in Germany - MOST of the people there (as well as in Switzerland) ALSO buy cars on credit, since MOST of them DO need financing to buy vehicles they want...you definitely should know better (unless you are millionaire, of course).

As for Germany, it's just the last domino to fall - let's see who laughs last once most of your export markets (i.e., Europe) are down the drain.

Throw Out

macrumors regular
May 12, 2012
Germany/Brazil
Kid, instead of throwing stupid ad personam nonsense at me, at least try to respond with true arguments. I have a postgraduate degree in international trade and economics and know very well what the heck I am talking about. And I am glad I am a nationalist - at least I try to defend my place instead of bashing it nonstop.

Besides, I was simply stating FACTS that you, of course, are not able to counter because you can't even write proper English - Apple doesn't care if everyone in a country is a millionaire; it cares whether the place has a sizeable upscale market to be served, period.

Regardless of the fact that large poverty areas still exist, the simple fact is that Brazil has a huge population eager to consume. In any case, you disregard absolute market sizes just because you want to.

Finally, the fact that a person buys on credit or not is irrelevant; ownership transfer still takes place sooner or later (not to mention that I know a LOT of people in Brazil who prefer to save and buy everything in a single payment). And if taxes were much lower in Brazil you'd see two basic things happening: a LOT more people buying on the spot, and a LOT more poorer people finally buying those same things on credit.

And sorry to burst your mongrel dog bubble; but I currently live in Switzerland and have several relatives and friends in Germany - MOST of the people there (as well as in Switzerland) ALSO buy cars on credit, since MOST of them DO need financing to buy vehicles they want...you definitely should know better (unless you are millionaire, of course).

As for Germany, it's just the last domino to fall - let's see who laughs last once most of your export markets (i.e., Europe) are down the drain.

Nevermind,

Enjoy Switzerland,beautiful country.

Affeno

macrumors newbie
Nov 12, 2012
Maceió, Brazil.
Apple confirms first store in Rio de Janeiro Brazil as Istanbul, Turkey...

From 9to5Mac:

Apple confirms first store in Rio de Janeiro Brazil as Istanbul, Turkey also preparing for Apple retail

Apple today emailed several Brazilian outlets confirming the news that it would be opening an Apple retail store in the city.

Translated:

Apple has confirmed the opening of a store brand in Brazil. The first Apple Store will open in Brazil in Rio de Janeiro and will also be the company’s first own store in South America ”We look forward to the opening of the first Apple Store in Brazil, where we have long standing customers and hope to win many more each day. [We] can not wait to offer the unique Apple retail people of Rio de Janeiro and customers from across the region,” the company said by email on Tuesday

http://9to5mac.com/2012/11/14/apple...c-MacAllDay+(9+to+5+Mac+-+Apple+Intelligence)

emir

macrumors 6502a
Apr 5, 2008
Istanbul
Well, I hope both Turkey and Brazil can move foward on this subject. I also think things are ready here for a retail store, since it's the only thing left to do. We didn't have ebooks sold when the full iTunes Store for paid content launched last year in Brazil, but they immediately launched iBooks Store here apparently when Amazon rumored to start its activities until April 2013 in Brazil.

Anyway, the logic to open iTunes Store, Apple Online Store and Retail stores appear to be different, but I firmly agree with you: one thing and its successful experience might justify the other, but there is no standard sequence on them. A curiosity: so far they are maintaining prices for books, films, apps and music here in US dollar instead of Brazilian real. And they might face law issues soon if they keep it that way.

Think they had legal problems with our government's tax agency because of exchange rate differences, so they changed it to Turkish Liras 3 weeks ago along with some other countries and we only have app store as paid content. It's surprising that they still use $ in Brazil when Brazil has full iTunes store paid content. People here are very much used to piracy when it comes to music and videos, i am not sure how iTunes music and video sales/revenues would be here, it's difficult to make people not do what they are used to doing. How's it doing in Brazil? Brazil and Turkey are very much alike in terms of national, people's characteristics.

dodobir

macrumors newbie
Nov 17, 2012
Three stores will initially be opened in Istanbul. One in Zorlu Mall, one in Akasya Mall, third location unknown. Both Zorlu and Akasya malls are underconstruction right now. Zorlu will open in late summer 2013, Akasya in autumn 2013. So those dates are probably also the dates for store openings.

Affeno

macrumors newbie
Nov 12, 2012
Maceió, Brazil.
Think they had legal problems with our government's tax agency because of exchange rate differences, so they changed it to Turkish Liras 3 weeks ago along with some other countries and we only have app store as paid content. It's surprising that they still use $ in Brazil when Brazil has full iTunes store paid content. People here are very much used to piracy when it comes to music and videos, i am not sure how iTunes music and video sales/revenues would be here, it's difficult to make people not do what they are used to doing. How's it doing in Brazil? Brazil and Turkey are very much alike in terms of national, people's characteristics.

People was also very skeptical about iTunes Store's success in Brazil due to illegal content habits. I don't think Apple would make their profits public here, but if they did, I'm pretty damn sure it would surprise everyone with its millions. A guess, I would say purchases in the Brazilian store doubles all other Latin American countries together, except for Mexico.

As a personal experience based on what I buy, see and friends' experience, I think people might even look first for an illegal content on torrent, for example, but they don't think twice when they want to buy quality content. Apple TV has become very popular ever since, because of netflix and iTunes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.