Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cognus

macrumors member
Original poster
May 1, 2012
Texas
Gang
we're just 'breaking in' a white 16gb Mini.
looks fantastic so far.

couple of questions since it is not as intuitive to operate as my bride had hoped:
- downloaded an app... where did it go? I was expecting to see an icon on the home screen that says "Applications". I see such an entry under the "Spotlight Search" settings but ... dunno. nothing new on the main screen, the app is .... where?

- the first thing I did was accept the software update so it has whatever the latest is [don't know the nums]. Shades of amazon... when we go to the Apps store, we're inundated with popup ads. These ads cause the whole touch-receptivity to go numb. in other words, an annoying ad pops in the middle of the display, and there is no wait out except Power-Off. nothing responds to touch, there is no "get rid of this" button, its just locked up. If you press the home button, it will go to the main screen, but open App store again and you're right back to frozen.

What's the fix for this please? I purposely did NOT buy Kindle's toll device.... haha

sweetbrat

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2009
Redford, MI
Gang
we're just 'breaking in' a white 16gb Mini.
looks fantastic so far.

couple of questions since it is not as intuitive to operate as my bride had hoped:
- downloaded an app... where did it go? I was expecting to see an icon on the home screen that says "Applications". I see such an entry under the "Spotlight Search" settings but ... dunno. nothing new on the main screen, the app is .... where?

- the first thing I did was accept the software update so it has whatever the latest is [don't know the nums]. Shades of amazon... when we go to the Apps store, we're inundated with popup ads. These ads cause the whole touch-receptivity to go numb. in other words, an annoying ad pops in the middle of the display, and there is no wait out except Power-Off. nothing responds to touch, there is no "get rid of this" button, its just locked up. If you press the home button, it will go to the main screen, but open App store again and you're right back to frozen.

What's the fix for this please? I purposely did NOT buy Kindle's toll device.... haha

I'm confused. You get popup ads when you go to the App Store? Using the App Store button? The only time there should be a popup window, to my knowledge, is when you tap on something you want more information about. Then when you're done, just tap anywhere off the popup window to make it disappear.

You won't see an applications folder on your home screen. The icons for the individual apps will be displayed. Look for the one you downloaded. If you don't see it, swipe from right to left to go to the other pages and see if it's there.

cognus

macrumors member
Original poster
May 1, 2012
Texas
yep - we hit the App Store icon, app store opens, defaulted to "All" categories, and within a second an ad comes up for some game or whatever is being featured and touted. it occupies a large box more or less in the middle of the screen obfuscating the rest. there is no "X" or other button to get rid of it. the only choices are "more" and essentially the same, in other words to divert you to that item. however, the screen becomes unresponsive.
in the pc world, we'd call it malware :)... I thought my wife was delusional 'til I tried it myself. could find no way to simply use the App Store so did a power-off.

then she did download an app - said it was downloading... never showed up.

one other thing: is it "normal" to have to give your Apple ID Password everytime you grab anything off the app store?:confused:
that's what we're seeing. the password isn't easy to punch in... on purpose

I'm confused. You get popup ads when you go to the App Store? Using the App Store button? The only time there should be a popup window, to my knowledge, is when you tap on something you want more information about. Then when you're done, just tap anywhere off the popup window to make it disappear.

You won't see an applications folder on your home screen. The icons for the individual apps will be displayed. Look for the one you downloaded. If you don't see it, swipe from right to left to go to the other pages and see if it's there.

Aspasia

macrumors 65816
yep - we hit the App Store icon, app store opens, defaulted to "All" categories, and within a second an ad comes up for some game or whatever is being featured and touted. it occupies a large box more or less in the middle of the screen obfuscating the rest. there is no "X" or other button to get rid of it. the only choices are "more" and essentially the same, in other words to divert you to that item. however, the screen becomes unresponsive.
in the pc world, we'd call it malware :)... I thought my wife was delusional 'til I tried it myself. could find no way to simply use the App Store so did a power-off.

then she did download an app - said it was downloading... never showed up.

one other thing: is it "normal" to have to give your Apple ID Password everytime you grab anything off the app store?:confused:
that's what we're seeing. the password isn't easy to punch in... on purpose

There is no "all" catagories, at least using the App Store app on my iPad 2 (iOS 5.1.1)

At the bottom of the page are: Featured, Genius, Top Charts, Purchased, and Updates.

As to your password, like any other secure site, you need to enter it in order to make purchases. If it's that difficult to key in, record it in notepad, then copy and paste.

Sounds as if a hard reset might help. Hold down the home button and the sleep/wake switch at the same time until the iPad reboots. May take five or ten seconds of holding down those buttons.

Edited to add that on my iPod Touch 5G (iOS 6) the bottom of the App Store page reads: Featured, Top Charts, Genius, Search, Updates.

Last edited:

corvus32

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2009
USA
"All Categories" is at the top of the Featured section, but popup ads on the App Store is something I've never heard of.

Pics please, or it didn't happen.

cognus

macrumors member
Original poster
May 1, 2012
Texas
ok.
sleep/wake I'm assuming is same as what I thought was power button.. the only other button on their other than the sound controls.
will do.

The App Store has soft 'button' categories at the top, just under the clock. it defaults to "All Categories". the others are Games, Education, More.
now that I'm looking at it more closely, I think what she may have fallen into is that the 'search' thingy is very very small - its very difficult to hit that search without bleeding over to one of the revolving ads that are adjacent just under that little spyglass/field. she probably hit one. once it was up, it froze.

now she tried to change password to something simple. it seemed to "take" but then trying to log back in failed.... this will all be funny someday. not today [at least to her]:p

cognus

macrumors member
Original poster
May 1, 2012
Texas
aha... looks like Apple is having IT issues. went to a different device, tried to login to iCloud, and got an error saying essentially the iCloud server is not responding. that would explain why no pwd is getting good authentication since her id is a icloud email address

sweetbrat

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2009
Redford, MI
ok.
sleep/wake I'm assuming is same as what I thought was power button.. the only other button on their other than the sound controls.
will do.

The App Store has soft 'button' categories at the top, just under the clock. it defaults to "All Categories". the others are Games, Education, More.
now that I'm looking at it more closely, I think what she may have fallen into is that the 'search' thingy is very very small - its very difficult to hit that search without bleeding over to one of the revolving ads that are adjacent just under that little spyglass/field. she probably hit one. once it was up, it froze.

now she tried to change password to something simple. it seemed to "take" but then trying to log back in failed.... this will all be funny someday. not today [at least to her]:p

Sounds like you figured a lot of it out. Still, if she's hitting one of the ads at the top by accident, clicking off the popup window and onto the background of the screen should make it go away. There is no X button or anything to close it, just click outside the popup window.

cognus

macrumors member
Original poster
May 1, 2012
Texas
Just to update in case someone else sees this sort of issue: I think, login-wise, there's something flawed about taking on a new id for icloud prior to actually setting everything up some other way. I finally deleted all the username@icloud.com entries altogether and used one of my older Apple ID's, and everything set right up like it should. I am guessing that the propagation from one database to others does not take place unless/until the user with @icloud as ID is completely setup and function on iCloud FIRST before using for any other purpose.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.