Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tikatika

macrumors 6502a
Mar 12, 2012
Northern California
I have 32gb wifi. Have 78 apps, 300 photos and have 10gb available. All of my music is on my iPhone. I do listen to Pandora on my iPad however. I don't play any fps or racing games and I stream movies. Hope this helps. Whatever you end up getting you will love, guaranteed :)

Hendu98

macrumors newbie
Nov 14, 2012
Minnesota
If you are good at data management, even a 16 is enough. I hate leaving things on my gen 1 16gb if I am not using them. However; I travel a lot and have trouble fitting a lot of video on it. At any given point when I'm not traveling, I usually have 10 gb available though.

Having said that, when I ordered a 4th gen i got it in 32 for when I travel. The addition of lte is just a nice bonus...

puma1552

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 20, 2008
First... Start making your own money... THEN buy Ipad...

Hope you aren't talking to me, because I make plenty and I'm the breadwinner.

When you are married, many decisions are joint decisions. Helps avoid that little thing called divorce.

brig2221

macrumors 6502
Jan 18, 2010

When you are married, many decisions are joint decisions. Helps avoid that little thing called divorce.

Yeah, it's very easy to see who is and is not married when you see posts like this :D

No Apple products are cheap, so in a lot of cases it needs to be a joint decision when splurging on Apple products, or at the very least, making your spouse aware in advance. It's a respect thing.

GraphicsGeek

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2008
Im married and I dont have to get permission to buy a product. There are 4 simple questions I ask myself before buying something expensive: 1) Are all my bills paid? 2) Can I still make my weekly transfer to my savings account? (Always pay yourself first) 3) Do I have the money to NOT put it on a credit card? 4) Can I sell something on eBay/Craigslist to help pad the cost? If I can answer YES to all of these then I get it. Its all about your priorities and responsibility. I'm not going to go broke just so I can have a device to play around on and Im not going to put our financial situation in jeopardy over buying an iPad.

MonkeySee....

macrumors 68040
Sep 24, 2010
UK
So my wife approved an iPad 4 purchase because she's sick of hearing me talk about it (heh heh).

I'm looking at either a 32 or 64 gig wifi, and had a couple questions that might help in the decision of which would be best for me.

1) I've got about 15 gigs of music. I don't know if I would really listen to music on the iPad, but it would certainly be nice to have it all on there if this is my multimedia/entertainment device. How often do you find that you use iTunes on your iPad? iTunes Match

2) What is the average app size? I'm assuming they are larger than the iPhone apps? I'd say 250mb for average. 500mb+ for good ones

3) I know they have iPad apps and iPhone apps; if I've already bought the iPhone app, do I get a free download for the iPad version, or do I have to pay again? Also, if I buy an iPad app, can I use it on my phone as well? That will depend on the App. If the maker brings out an App that the iPad uses in a different way you may have to purchase it

4) Around how many apps do you have and about how much space do they take up total? I know this depends on the apps, but maybe I can get a ballpark idea. Most of my apps are my sons. He has lots of apps and books and has pretty much used up all the space on my 16gb. I have to delete apps as I stick more on now

I just don't want to get a 32 gig and then have to be removing stuff all the time. I would also like to be able to load a couple movies on it for flights without having to remove anything. My heart says 64 gig, but my wallet says 32 gig. Go for the larger. Its an important purchase and you don't want any regrets :)

Thanks.

EDIT: Also how is in store stock at this point? Good chance of black 32 or 64 gig wifis?

:)

----------

Yep. Its not like you're buying a Mcdonalds. Its a big purchase and you both should have a say in it regardless of who brings in the money :)

Thegolem

macrumors regular
Aug 26, 2012
England
So my wife approved an iPad 4 purchase because she's sick of hearing me talk about it (heh heh).

I'm looking at either a 32 or 64 gig wifi, and had a couple questions that might help in the decision of which would be best for me.

1) I've got about 15 gigs of music. I don't know if I would really listen to music on the iPad, but it would certainly be nice to have it all on there if this is my multimedia/entertainment device. How often do you find that you use iTunes on your iPad?

2) What is the average app size? I'm assuming they are larger than the iPhone apps?

3) I know they have iPad apps and iPhone apps; if I've already bought the iPhone app, do I get a free download for the iPad version, or do I have to pay again? Also, if I buy an iPad app, can I use it on my phone as well?

4) Around how many apps do you have and about how much space do they take up total? I know this depends on the apps, but maybe I can get a ballpark idea.

I just don't want to get a 32 gig and then have to be removing stuff all the time. I would also like to be able to load a couple movies on it for flights without having to remove anything. My heart says 64 gig, but my wallet says 32 gig.

Thanks.

EDIT: Also how is in store stock at this point? Good chance of black 32 or 64 gig wifis?

I think you'll be o.k with the 32. Your obviously not a heavy tech user. Plus you can always put your music in the cloud on iTunes match.

michelob tfs

macrumors member
Jun 30, 2010
Falkirk, Scotland
I think you should be more concerned about retrieving your testicles from your wife's handbag than buying a new iPad.

Quoted for truth. LOL

Married for over 15 years too

----------

On the size thing, data management is a lot easier now we are free from connecting to the computer. I reccomend ITunes Match if you have a lot of music.

Appl3FTW

macrumors 603
Nov 15, 2012
uh, u need ur wife's approval? LOL

32gb should be sufficient enough for average to heavy users.. now if ur a definite heavy user, then you probably should look at 64.

puma1552

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 20, 2008
Got one!!! 64 GB black wifi, quality control on it is perfect! love it!

Born Again

Suspended
May 12, 2011
Norcal

1) I've got about 15 gigs of music. I don't know if I would really listen to music on the iPad, but it would certainly be nice to have it all on there if this is my multimedia/entertainment device. How often do you find that you use iTunes on your iPad?

2) What is the average app size? I'm assuming they are larger than the iPhone apps?

3) I know they have iPad apps and iPhone apps; if I've already bought the iPhone app, do I get a free download for the iPad version, or do I have to pay again? Also, if I buy an iPad app, can I use it on my phone as well?

4) Around how many apps do you have and about how much space do they take up total? I know this depends on the apps, but maybe I can get a ballpark idea.

I just don't want to get a 32 gig and then have to be removing stuff all the time. I would also like to be able to load a couple movies on it for flights without having to remove anything. My heart says 64 gig, but my wallet says 32 gig.

Thanks.

The wife said yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!

JBazz

macrumors 6502
Apr 14, 2006
As long as you dont start carrying around her lap dog for her while she shops, its all good. LOL

I was out shopping the other day and a woman was talking to a sales person with her husband/boyfriend/man standing behind her with a lapdog up under his arm like it was a purse. I wanted to take a picture and show the guy just how silly he looked. Seriously. I'm female and it sill offended my sensibilities. :p

puma1552

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 20, 2008
^^^lol

Couple questions--

1) When plugged into iTunes, the summary tab doesn't have the usual picture of the iPad? The little icon shows up in the left hand menu when it's plugged in, but in the main screen in iTunes it doesn't show up in the summary tab?

2) When I click on the apps buttno to sync the apps in itunes, no apps show up to be synced? I have 32 apps, is it possible not one will work on the iPad?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.