Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tendya

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 14, 2012
Hi,

I want to buy iMac 27" 2012 in December. This will be used exclusively for learning iOS development tools and developing iOS apps in the future.

Other than RAM upgrade, which seems to be simple enough to be done by myself, what other features should I upgrade while ordering the iMac?

I want to know the best configuration that is relevant to iOS development.

mchoffa

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2008
Asheville, NC
been doing some light iOS development on my old 24" 2008 model... other than maxing out my ram when I have photoshop/illustrator open, it's been fine... just guessing unless you're doing 3d modeling for games, you won't need to max anything out on the new one other than ram

MetzoPaino

macrumors member
Oct 24, 2012
I'm doing iOS development on an early 2008 MacBook Pro and have no problems. I'm not even waiting around much for compiling.

Unless you're doing intensive 3D work a 27" iMac isn't a necessity for iOS development, and if you're only learning then that's probably far off.

A Mac mini would be fine for your needs, so any iMac would be too.

tendya

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 14, 2012
been doing some light iOS development on my old 24" 2008 model... other than maxing out my ram when I have photoshop/illustrator open, it's been fine... just guessing unless you're doing 3d modeling for games, you won't need to max anything out on the new one other than ram

Thank you. I am not thinking about any 3d modeling for games, at least not now. Ram, I will upgrade it.

----------

I'm doing iOS development on an early 2008 MacBook Pro and have no problems. I'm not even waiting around much for compiling.

Unless you're doing intensive 3D work a 27" iMac isn't a necessity for iOS development, and if you're only learning then that's probably far off.

A Mac mini would be fine for your needs, so any iMac would be too.

Thanks for the reply.

I am totally new to Mac world, have always been a windows user.

What configuration of Mac mini is good for iOS development? If Mac mini can do the job, I will also save money.

MetzoPaino

macrumors member
Oct 24, 2012
Any Mac Mini could do the job, but a mid-tier Mac Mini with the i7 CPU, Fusion Drive or SSD and 8GB/16GB RAM bought from a third party will do you well for a few years. Because you're saving so much money you may even upgrade the CPU. (The better your CPU the less time it takes to compile).

If you're in education you can also get a discount on all of this.

You will need a monitor, keyboard and mouse as they aren't included.

mchoffa

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2008
Asheville, NC
if I were only doing iOS development, I'd still go for the iMac, just because getting a good quality 27" monitor (same res as iMac) + decent mini comes out to about the same. I much prefer to have 2 big screens for development. That may just be me though.

If you do still want to get the mini and go cheaper on the monitor(s) (dell U2711 or maybe smaller good quality monitor), then i5 is fine in my opinion. The thing I'd put most of my money in is SSD or fusion + max out the ram, and then of course buy an iPad, iPad mini and iPhone/iPod Touch for testing.

tendya

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 14, 2012
Any Mac Mini could do the job, but a mid-tier Mac Mini with the i7 CPU, Fusion Drive or SSD and 8GB/16GB RAM bought from a third party will do you well for a few years. Because you're saving so much money you may even upgrade the CPU. (The better your CPU the less time it takes to compile).

If you're in education you can also get a discount on all of this.

You will need a monitor, keyboard and mouse as they aren't included.

The 2.3GHZ i7, 4GB RAM, 1 TB hard drive is $799 from Apple store.

Upgrading the processor to 2.6GHZ is $100.

1TB Fusion Drive is $250

I have an old Dell keyboard and mouse, but need to buy a monitor. Estimating it to be around $100, the total will be $ 1,249. I don't know how much it costs for 16GB memory from third party.

I think I will be saving around $600.

Please let me know if I am missing anything.

----------

if I were only doing iOS development, I'd still go for the iMac, just because getting a good quality 27" monitor (same res as iMac) + decent mini comes out to about the same. I much prefer to have 2 big screens for development. That may just be me though.

If you do still want to get the mini and go cheaper on the monitor(s) (dell U2711 or maybe smaller good quality monitor), then i5 is fine in my opinion. The thing I'd put most of my money in is SSD or fusion + max out the ram, and then of course buy an iPad, iPad mini and iPhone/iPod Touch for testing.

I have iPad 1. Can it be used for testing?

How much will be a good monitor?

Also, Mac mini is 4 GB, and iMac is 8GB. How much does it cost to get 4GB from third parties?

I am trying to estimate the savings between iMac and Mac mini.

mchoffa

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2008
Asheville, NC

Also, Mac mini is 4 GB, and iMac is 8GB. How much does it cost to get 4GB from third parties?

iPad 1 is ok for testing on iOS 5, but it's no longer being updated. An iPad mini is the cheapest option to be up to date, but doesn't give you a feel for how things look on a big screen (and retina).

the Dell 27" is about $150 less ($850 on amazon) than the Apple TD, but depending on preferences of screens is better or worse than apple's (matte vs gloss, inputs/outputs). If you're just starting out, just buy a cheaper 1080P monitor until you're making extra money.

I just ordered 32GB of ram for my upcoming iMac purchase for only $170 after tax from crucial if that helps.

MeFromHere

macrumors 6502
Oct 11, 2012
The 2.3GHZ i7, 4GB RAM, 1 TB hard drive is $799 from Apple store.

Upgrading the processor to 2.6GHZ is $100.

1TB Fusion Drive is $250

I have an old Dell keyboard and mouse, but need to buy a monitor. Estimating it to be around $100, the total will be $ 1,249. I don't know how much it costs for 16GB memory from third party.

I think I will be saving around $600.

Please let me know if I am missing anything.

----------

iPad 1 can't run iOS 6, so you'll be limited to writing applications for iOS 5 or older. That's certainly enough to get you started. The iOS developer tools include a simulator that mimics most functions of all the iOS devices. You can do quite a lot with no real iOS device at all.

Here are some memory options for the Mac Mini from one vendor:
http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/memory/Apple/Mac_mini/DDR3_1600
4 GB of RAM is $26, but you'd have to remove one of the original 2 GB modules to use a new 4 GB one. You'd end up with a 6 GB system and an extra 2 GB DIMM. There are many other options on the web page.

You might want to invest in an Apple mouse or trackpad. Apple packs a lot more functionality in these than you're used to with a typical windows PC mouse.

Are $100 monitors any good? If you're going to spend much time on this system, get the biggest, best quality monitor you can afford. The bigger the screen, the more code you can see at once in Xcode. The iMacs have VERY good screens, that's one of the most popular features. We don't know how the new iMac screens will look, but Apple claims they reduce reflected glare by 75% compared to the previous (2011) models.

Do you have an Apple retail store nearby? You should look at the options and try things before you buy. Try the Apple mouse and trackpad, and see which you prefer. Ask them to connect your keyboard and mouse to a Mac Mini and see how well they work -- especially if they are bluetooth. Some cheap bluetooth devices barely work.

tendya

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 14, 2012
Hi all,

Thank you very much for the details.

After going through all the above points, iMac seems to be a better option if I can afford to buy one. I was already prepared to buy it in the first place, so I may proceed with it and just upgrade the RAM.

In some other posts, I see that people want to max out the 27" iMac. But from your suggestions above, I guess that is not required for iOS development.

mchoffa

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2008
Asheville, NC
I'm all over apple stuff, but I have never in the past 10 years used an apple mouse (even though I've tried every one made since the old "hockey puck" mouse). In my opinion Apple mice are absolutely terrible. Yeah, you can do gestures on the magic mouse, but it's impossible for me to use longer than an hour or so. I guess if I had hands the size of my 10 year old son I could use it. I much prefer Logitech's Performance MX mouse, and before that used the Revolution MX. Both have a lot of configurable buttons, not to mention you can just plug it in to charge while still using it, instead of replacing AA batteries.

I also use the trackpad, which unlike the mouse, is amazing.

Logitech also makes a wireless keyboard that looks much like the full size apple keyboard that I'm thinking about trying out. I'd rather buy Apple's, but their wireless option isn't a full sized keyboard :(

Occamsrazr

macrumors 6502
Apr 26, 2012
I thought it was common knowledge that one should throw out the apple mouse along with the Styrofoam packaging

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.