Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hyteckit

Jul 29, 2007
I have the @Gamer digital subscription magazine.

Fonts are too small to read without having to zoom. Well, I can read it, but it does look fuzzy at that size.

I actually don't mind tapping and zooming in digital magazines because of the layout.

PDF files on the other hand can get annoying after a way having to zoom, scroll, and pan.

Will definitely upgrade to a retina screen iPad mini when it comes out.

Right now, I'm enjoying my iPad Mini size and weigh.

ptram

macrumors member
Nov 11, 2011
I used to have a nook and bought the Barnes and Noble stuff I had a kindle I bought amazon.

I have a Nook, but cannot buy books from B&N where I live. So I buy them from Amazon and other sources. Then I convert Amazon books to ePub, and read them on my Nook or any other reader.

On the iPad, I can read books in Amazon Kindle's native format, and ePubs with Apple iBook. There is a lot of flexibility with the iPad.

Paolo

Quantus

macrumors regular
Apr 2, 2012
I've found that the sepia theme in iBooks helps to mask some of the font-fuzz. Also, that the Iowan and Times Roman fonts work best with sepia and small text.

Not an ideal solution but at least makes reading more tolerable.

Last edited:

tytbody

macrumors regular
Oct 28, 2012
4 seasons
I have a Nook, but cannot buy books from B&N where I live. So I buy them from Amazon and other sources. Then I convert Amazon books to ePub, and read them on my Nook or any other reader.

On the iPad, I can read books in Amazon Kindle's native format, and ePubs with Apple iBook. There is a lot of flexibility with the iPad.

Paolo

I try to tell people like I did last night. Give the Kindle to her daughter and get an ipad mini. Thanks for telling me about those different ways that make this the best purchase for a tablet.

ArthurWellsley

macrumors member
Feb 9, 2011
London
If you live in the UK

If you live in the UK and are disgusted with Amazon not paying tax properly perhaps you should boycott this immoral company, purchase an ipad mini delete the kindle app, and buy your books from other sources such as Waterstones or the Apple store.

ptram

macrumors member
Nov 11, 2011
If you live in the UK and are disgusted with Amazon not paying tax properly perhaps you should boycott this immoral company, purchase an ipad mini

Apple is accused of tax fraud in the USA. So, I would call this a close match!

Paolo

N0ddie

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2011
Glasgow
If you live in the UK and are disgusted with Amazon not paying tax properly perhaps you should boycott this immoral company, purchase an ipad mini delete the kindle app, and buy your books from other sources such as Waterstones or the Apple store.

So you wanna boycott companies that "play the system" with regard to paying taxes? Your naive if you think its limited to the massive companies like S'bucks, Amazon etc.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.