Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hallaisen

macrumors regular
May 28, 2006
Noob alert:

Will it be possible to buy this outright In the US and use it in Australia or Europe with gsm carriers?

Xtal

macrumors member
Jun 23, 2008
You can't see the difference between 720p and 1080p on a 32in HDTV what the hell makes you think you'll see the difference on a 5in screen? Come on ppl. People in their backwards ass thinking.

As far as I'm concerned wanting better or more future-proof phone hardware (screen resolution, battery life, wireless performance) is thinking forwards, not backwards.

hallaisen

macrumors regular
May 28, 2006
From Verizon's dna website:

CDMA1x/EV-DO Rev A, LTE/DO Rx diversity

CDMA1x/EV-DO Rev A, LTE/DO Rx diversity
Global Network: GSM (850MHz, 900MHz, 1800MHz, 1900MHz), UMTS (850MHz, 900MHz, 1900MHz, 2100MHz)

Since it has GSM connectivity, can it be used with 3G on European and Australian networks?

Would it be hard to get this unlocked from Verizon's network?

Apollo 13

macrumors 6502a
May 29, 2010
As far as I'm concerned wanting better or more future-proof phone hardware (screen resolution, battery life, wireless performance) is thinking forwards, not backwards.

True...I like the phone and actually thinking of getting it, but I won't go in expecting to see a difference between a One X or iPhone 5 screen. All I need is a lot more reviews on the battery life.

michaeljohn

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2012
You can't see the difference between 720p and 1080p on a 32in HDTV what the hell makes you think you'll see the difference on a 5in screen? Come on ppl. People in their backwards ass thinking.

Why do so many people make such a big deal about the iPad mini display compared to the competition? They are only 2 inches bigger screens.

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
I wonder if Apple will do another 2x bump in resolution for the iPhone 6? They could go with either:

2272x1280 (2x iP5, 16:9 aspect) or
1920x1280 (2x iP4, 3:2)

With Apple's current screen size? You'd need a magnifying glass to see anything.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
For a 5 inch phone, it really doesn't look very big:

xlarge-jpg.jpg

Don't know if I trust that 2500 mah battery especially when the display is pushing so many pixels. Looks gorgeous though.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
I am just amazed that some people carry around their entire music and movie catalog on their phones, or so it seems. Someone mentioned earlier 6GB of music, that's insane. I have around 30 artists and at least a few hundred songs on my iPhone and its 2GB. 16GB is more than enough for most peoples needs. What do these people who feel the need to put all their multimedia on their cell phone do? Crazy

I am just amazed that some people think the way they do things it the only correct way to do things. What do these people who feel the world revolves around them do? Crazy

Xtal

macrumors member
Jun 23, 2008
With Apple's current screen size? You'd need a magnifying glass to see anything.

The whole point of the Retina display, which was a 2x jump in resolution from the 3GS, was that text and UI elements remain the same size but are rendered with 4x the pixels (2x more in horizontal and vertical direction), increasing the sharpness of fonts and graphics. It would make it easier to see things, not harder.

GroundLoop

macrumors 68000
Mar 21, 2003
Well, I just preordered my Droid DNA. Should receive it on the 21st. Pretty excited to see what it can do.

GL

bad03xtreme

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2009
Northern, VA
Can the DNA of any Android phone for that matter play music or photos through my Apple tv? That is one of the main reasons I am getting an iPhone.

SnowLeopard2008

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2008
Silicon Valley
The Droid DNA's screen is overkill I think. "Retina" is already past the threshold that our eyes can distinguish individual pixels so to human eyes, there is no discernible difference in clarity between iPhone 4+ and Droid DNA. While it is better because it can display a pixel to pixel ratio of 1 for 1080P HD content, our eyes can't tell the difference.

As for the internal hardware, Qualcomm's S4 SoC chip has some thermal throttling issues as evidenced by the Nexus 4. AnandTech's benchmarks show that the Nexus 4's S4 performs very poorly against iPhone 5's A6 and barely outperforms iPhone 4S. Graphics will struggle since there are so many pixels to push and the graphics chip itself is not as good as iPhone 5. Battery life is also a concern. This is documented by AnandTech's review of the Nexus 4.

I think HTC's Droid DNA phone is THE Android phone to get right now. The only other one would be Nexus 4. But iPhone 5 is still the best phone overall with the best balance of everything from software to hardware to build quality and etc. The "tradeoffs" of not having a 1080P display is really moot since 1080P content on iPhone 5 shows no pixelation anyway. That said, I really do think HTC made one of the best Android phones considering hardware, software and design.

----------

Can the DNA of any Android phone for that matter play music or photos through my Apple tv? That is one of the main reasons I am getting an iPhone.

Try doubleTwist. Not as elegant or easy to use or implementation OS-wide as on an iPhone but it works.

OceanView

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2005
What's the point of a 1080p screen if you can only have 16GB memory and no expandable micro SD slot?
I don't get the benefits? :confused:

Xtal

macrumors member
Jun 23, 2008
What's the point of a 1080p screen if you can only have 16GB memory and no expandable micro SD slot?
I don't get the benefits? :confused:

I don't understand your post. The benefits of a 1080p screen would be felt throughout the UI experience.

----------

The Droid DNA's screen is overkill I think. "Retina" is already past the threshold that our eyes can distinguish individual pixels so to human eyes, there is no discernible difference in clarity between iPhone 4+ and Droid DNA.

The notion that Apple's retina display has the maximum discernible resolution of the human eye is false and nothing more than Apple marketing. You would need a 900 ppi screen to actually reach the limit of human visual acuity. The Droid DNA with its 440 ppi screen is less than half way there.

http://www.cultofmac.com/173702/why-retina-isnt-enough-feature/

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
I don't understand your post. The benefits of a 1080p screen would be felt throughout the UI experience.

----------

The notion that Apple's retina display has the maximum discernible resolution of the human eye is false and nothing more than Apple marketing. You would need a 900 ppi screen to actually reach the limit of human visual acuity. The Droid DNA with its 440 ppi screen is less than half way there.

http://www.cultofmac.com/173702/why-retina-isnt-enough-feature/

Really interesting article. Apple marketing for the win.

zbarvian

macrumors 68010
Jul 23, 2011
Really interesting article. Apple marketing for the win.

To be honest it seems that nobody really knows what "Retina" is. All I care about, and what others should care about is how these super high resolution panels look in comparison to current offerings.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
To be honest it seems that nobody really knows what "Retina" is. All I care about, and what others should care about is how these super high resolution panels look in comparison to current offerings.

Read the article. It explains what true retina means.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
I can't see pixels 200 PPI and better no matter the distance from my eyes. However screens with more generally look better over all.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.