Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ViolentHero

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 3, 2012
I like desktops but I like notebooks due to the fact that they're mobile, I can work and play on the go. What I dislike about them is that they're barely upgradable and if a component craps out on me, it will be difficult to fix. I might have to send it in for repairs unlike a desktop, I can always go to my favorite retailer, buy a replacement for the failed component, and install it into my machine. I hear some people complain about heat but I wouldn't worry that much, at least for most modern notebooks. I played games like Quake III Arena and edited movies on my low-end 2005 Dell notebook and it still works fine. I played games like Team Fortress 2, edited movies, and work on 3D animation on my 2009 MacBook Pro and it still works fine. Like one of you folks said, they're machines, they're meant to be used and abused. If gaming notebooks are truly a bad buy, wouldn't companies stop making them by now?

Wardenski

macrumors 6502
Jan 22, 2012
I like desktops but I like notebooks due to the fact that they're mobile, I can work and play on the go. What I dislike about them is that they're barely upgradable and if a component craps out on me, it will be difficult to fix. I might have to send it in for repairs unlike a desktop, I can always go to my favorite retailer, buy a replacement for the failed component, and install it into my machine. I hear some people complain about heat but I wouldn't worry that much, at least for most modern notebooks. I played games like Quake III Arena and edited movies on my low-end 2005 Dell notebook and it still works fine. I played games like Team Fortress 2, edited movies, and work on 3D animation on my 2009 MacBook Pro and it still works fine. Like one of you folks said, they're machines, they're meant to be used and abused. If gaming notebooks are truly a bad buy, wouldn't companies stop making them by now?

For me personally, if your going to spend monies on a gaming computer a desktop will get you the best experience. Although there is nothing wrong with using a laptop for games if you already own a decent laptop.

MacGamerHQ

macrumors member
Sep 25, 2012
Lyon, France
For me personally, if your going to spend monies on a gaming computer a desktop will get you the best experience. Although there is nothing wrong with using a laptop for games if you already own a decent laptop.

Agreed, if you need a laptop for mobility reasons, and you need it for other reasons than gaming, by all means.

If you primarly want a computer for gaming, than yes a laptop is not a good choice, not even if you "want" mobility. Is like the compromise between a console and a handheld console, if you just want to play the best games you can, than mobility will have to be a low priority...

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
For the OP, where have you heard about hate? Notebooks, the low end of laptops, are not made for gaming. You can scrape by with some games, but performance will always be sub-par to minimal. If you are speaking of laptops in general, my experience is that my 2011 MacBookPro plays all of the AAA games I want, including GuildWars2, and Planetside Beta. It is great for gaming on the road.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.