Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

WatchYouGo

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 10, 2012
I ordered the new iPad through the Apple store, it's scheduled for delivery on Monday. I have a mobile share plan through AT&T, will I be able to commit to a contract and still get the $100 off? BTW, once I heard about the discount I had my local AT&T reserve me one as well, so one of them will be returned (but being a nice a guy I won't take the plastic off the box).

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Isn't the 100 dollars off when you buy the tablet from them, not just using their service?

RetiredInFl

macrumors 68020
Jul 7, 2008
FORMERLY NJ now FL
I ordered the new iPad through the Apple store, it's scheduled for delivery on Monday. I have a mobile share plan through AT&T, will I be able to commit to a contract and still get the $100 off?
No. You have to buy it through AT&T. It's a discount on the device so how can AT&T give you a discount if you don't buy it from them?

WatchYouGo

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 10, 2012
No. You have to buy it through AT&T. It's a discount on the device so how can AT&T give you a discount if you don't buy it from them?

They could easily prorate your monthly service fee, not that they would but it is possible.

sweetbrat

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2009
Redford, MI
They could easily prorate your monthly service fee, not that they would but it is possible.

Yes, theoretically they could, but why would they if you didn't purchase it from them? The whole point of them giving a discount is to get you to purchase the iPad and the service from them.

iMas70

macrumors 65816
Sep 4, 2012
MA
Same situation for me! It to late to do anything with the one in transit because it's bought/shipped. I'll be returning the one that arrives in a few days and getting one from AT&T at a $150. savings.

Txjole

macrumors member
Feb 22, 2008
Short answer is no one knows if AT&T will help u out for a device purchased from Apple. The reason for the promo is to get you in an AT&T contract not for them to make money off the device.

Txjole

macrumors member
Feb 22, 2008
Or ask, I did and just got a $100 credit from AT&T for 2 MINI'S that are not even on the program, and I yet to add then to my plan

By the way for the courtesy credit I can give you a $100.00 credits and it will be applied on your bill.

MacManTexas56

macrumors 68020
Apr 4, 2005
Because I haven't been able to call AT&T and ask if they can/will prorate/credit my account. I thought this was a forum for asking questions, my apologies.
we aren't AT&T. usually when rules are in place they are meant to be followed. If you don't follow the rules, how do we know what the results will be?

WatchYouGo

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 10, 2012
we aren't AT&T. usually when rules are in place they are meant to be followed. If you don't follow the rules, how do we know what the results will be?

Oh, OK. No AT&T related threads allowed here, got it. Thanks Sheriff.

MacManTexas56

macrumors 68020
Apr 4, 2005
Oh, OK. No AT&T related threads allowed here, got it. Thanks Sheriff.

never said that.......but AT&T says you have to buy through them. they don't say, buy wherever you want we'll credit you the difference since you didn't follow the rules.

KeepCalmPeople

macrumors 65816
Sep 5, 2012
Los Angeles, California

a) the OP is looking to see if anybody has done the same thing and might have feedback from AT&T
b) your attitude is miserable, you have nothing to contribute to the thread, not sure why you post

To the OP: Obviously keep trying to contact AT&T - I suspect that if you make a fuss about poor customer service etc., threaten to exchange for Verizon iPad, they will credit your bill $100.

MacManTexas56

macrumors 68020
Apr 4, 2005
a) the OP is looking to see if anybody has done the same thing and might have feedback from AT&T
b) your attitude is miserable, you have nothing to contribute to the thread, not sure why you post

To the OP: Obviously keep trying to contact AT&T - I suspect that if you make a fuss about poor customer service etc., threaten to exchange for Verizon iPad, they will credit your bill $100.
i've been around a long time. it gets old seeing these type threads......

and one's like, what color shirt were you wearing when you purchased your LTE iPad at the apple store even though you meant to purchase it at an AT&T store to get the $100 discount.

it's reasons like you post as to why prices are high and increase. suggesting OP to threaten AT&T bc he can't follow the rules?

WatchYouGo

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 10, 2012
it's reasons like you post as to why prices are high and increase. suggesting OP to threaten AT&T bc he can't follow the rules?

It has nothing to do with me not being able to follow rules. If I have to get it directly through AT&T I will, that's not a problem. The issue is that I ordered through Apple before AT&T announced the discount (I can easily return to Apple before cracking it open). I was only asking if anybody knows if AT&T is giving credit to new iPad contracts that were not purchased through AT&T. After all, I'm on a mobile share plan and pay around $150 a month. It's not outrageous to think that AT&T would offer me $100 to extend a mobile contract. You do the math, $150 x 24 months is a substantial profit for them. Also, keep in mind I've been a good customer with them for ~5 years, maybe they'd consider it good customer service. I doubt I'm the reason prices high and increase.

vanz

macrumors newbie
Mar 20, 2012
I ordered the new iPad through the Apple store, it's scheduled for delivery on Monday. I have a mobile share plan through AT&T, will I be able to commit to a contract and still get the $100 off? BTW, once I heard about the discount I had my local AT&T reserve me one as well, so one of them will be returned (but being a nice a guy I won't take the plastic off the box).

Doesn't matter if you leave the plastic on...they'll open it up anyway to check if the device is actually in there.

Domino8282

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2010
Southeast USA
OP, I have the same question and was interested to see people's responses. Don't let the rude replies get you down. Some people get their kicks by being jerks on the interwebs. :-/

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.