Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Original poster
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)
How's the back speaker? Please tell me louder than the GN?

You're in a great position to compare GN to Nexus 4 for those of us that are coming from the GN. Much appreciated.

Ever so slightly louder from what I'm hearing but that flat back looks like it has some serious muffling potential. :(

Ericcc

macrumors member
Nov 2, 2012
Montreal
To everyone in this thread who managed to get one, I'm jealous of all of you. I managed to get the Nexus 4 in my cart 5 times, only to have it snatched away from me. :(

Cheer up, we'll get ours soon enough. I've had mine in the choose delivery address / payment page, but the final BUY button didn't finish loading -.- I'm in no hurry. Just want to get one in the upcoming months.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
Cheer up, we'll get ours soon enough. I've had mine in the choose delivery address / payment page, but the final BUY button didn't finish loading -.- I'm in no hurry. Just want to get one in the upcoming months.

I wish I could be like you. I have that, "I need it now" mentality, and it makes me obsessive haha.

Tinmania

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2011
Aridzona
I wish I could be like you. I have that, "I need it now" mentality, and it makes me obsessive haha.

Welcome to my world. I just went out and looked at the LG Optimus G, the phone the Nexus 4 is based on, to at least have "some" kind of contact with the thing.

Actually I am very tempted by the Optimus G. For $200--with 2 year contract extension--I get the 16GB model with a memory slot and LTE. AND I would get full use of the LCD as it has separate capacitive nav buttons. Anyone know of a reason this phone is not a good choice too, besides the contract extension?

Mike

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
Anyone know of a reason this phone is not a good choice too, besides the contract extension?
Well, you're giving up total Android purity, but I doubt it's a huge issue for most. On the other hand, total Android purity is a driving factor in my desire for the N4, so maybe it matters to you as well.

The contract extension isn't a big deal if you'd likely stay on the same carrier anyway.

Marco123

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2012
Chaz the phone looks great, hard to believe what they're selling it for unlocked.
How fast does the phone seem and how does the quality feel?
Thanks.

Tinmania

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2011
Aridzona
Well, you're giving up total Android purity, but I doubt it's a huge issue for most. On the other hand, total Android purity is a driving factor in my desire for the N4, so maybe it matters to you as well.

The contract extension isn't a big deal if you'd likely stay on the same carrier anyway.
Yea I think the purity was a factor in my Nexus 4 interest. And after dealing with longer and longer times waiting for a jailbreak on my iOS stuff I don't think I want to deal with encrypted bootloaders or whatnot with a carrier modified/crapified device.

Plus I want updates when Google releases them. Not a vague promise.

Michael

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Original poster
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)
Chaz the phone looks great, hard to believe what they're selling it for unlocked.
How fast does the phone seem and how does the quality feel?
Thanks.

Feels very nice in the hand. The materials around the bezel give a good grip to the phone but it is very slippery when placed on a material surface. My iPhone is always sliding off the arm of my chair and I can see this suffering the same problem.

Speed wise, no issues yet. Tested a few games and all was well. It does get warm when in use when charging though.

No glaring faults popping out at me just yet! :D

Tinmania

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2011
Aridzona
In other news you would think I just signed on to the Communist Party the way some of my friends are treating me. I have always been the go-to guy for anything Apple and they just can't imagine me getting an Android device. Not only my friends, but even my girlfriend's friends are using the "T" word about me (traitor). Oh well. :)

Michael

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
In other news you would think I just signed on to the Communist Party the way some of my friends are treating me. I have always been the go-to guy for anything Apple and they just can't imagine me getting an Android device. Not only my friends, but even my girlfriend's friends are using the "T" word about me (traitor). Oh well. :)

Michael

Same here haha. A few of my friends "you will go back to apple"

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
Ah, but we're doing it purely out of love for Apple.

Without competition, Apple will stagnate. By buying and promoting Android products from Google, we help Google to compete with Apple, thus helping Apple.

It is a thankless task we do, but do it we must.

Tinmania

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2011
Aridzona
Same here haha. A few of my friends "you will go back to apple"
I got and get that too. I had and have to remind them that I DO still use a mac for work, plus several other macs personally including a mb air--and an iPad and Apple TV. But because I might no longer be using an iPhone I have given Apple the finger lol.

Michael

----------

Ah, but we're doing it purely out of love for Apple.

Without competition, Apple will stagnate. By buying and promoting Android products from Google, we help Google to compete with Apple, thus helping Apple.

It is a thankless task we do, but do it we must.
I am going to steal some of this for my rebuttals.

Michael

3bs

macrumors 603
May 20, 2011
Dublin, Ireland

Michael

Same here but people still come to me for an iPhone charger so I actually still carry one with me :p

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Original poster
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)
Trivial question, but how's the 5 rows of icons in the App drawer? Looks a bit cramped...?

It does make things look slightly busier but I didn't even notice the extra column of icons until a couple of hours into using it. There is a lot less black space between the icons but it's just as usable. :)

Last edited:

rrl

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2009
Some of you people could use some new friends. They sound like douchers full of douchebaggery.

inselstudent

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2012
IMO the speakers and the camera are worse than my those of my iPhone 4. Other than that the phone is awesome. First time android for me...

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
The orbs haven't started being sold and we don't even know their price yet.
True, but any Qi charger should work.

----------

Do you know about other wireless charging "docks" ? Or nexus 4 will only work with the orbs.
There have been reviews using other Qi chargers without issue. I think the orb will look cool, but it's not required.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
True, but any Qi charger should work.

----------

There have been reviews using other Qi chargers without issue. I think the orb will look cool, but it's not required.

yeah, this is one I saw used in a review. It has poor amazon ratings b.c people are complaining about having to have a case on their phone. The nexus has that feature built in, so a case is not needed. Oh, and the fact is is ugly as sin

http://www.amazon.com/Energizer-Qi-...id=1352922979&sr=8-1&keywords=qi+charging+pad

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Original poster
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)
Not sure I'll be bothering about the conductive charging at all really. If something comes cheap enough that works maybe I will.

Faux Carnival

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2010
Can you make a Nexus 4 vs. iPhone 5 browser speed test video? 10 heavy websites on the same wi-fi network.

Interestingly, I wasn't able to find one on Youtube. Thanks!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.