Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dinosaur1

macrumors regular
Dec 23, 2007
I used TalkaTone for the 1st time on my iPhone 5 today. I had 4 bars on 4G with at&t. The person that I called told me that they couldn't hear me and that I was breaking up a lot. Now I'm very concerned on using this if I were to switch away from my iPhone 5 and just use a iPad Mini 4G. I wonder if Skype would sound better.

Tortri

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2010
Why am I getting such poor voice calls? Is if because I always have apps running in the memory?

What did you use Bluetooth, iPhone headset, iPad microphone? Try different ones to see if that'll fix the issue.

Tortri

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2010
I used my iPhone 5 just to test out the app.

Could of been a bad connection the moment you used it I suggest trying it again. I've successfully used it but occasionally I do get a bad connection or echo.

corvus32

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2009
USA
I used TalkaTone for the 1st time on my iPhone 5 today. I had 4 bars on 4G with at&t. The person that I called told me that they couldn't hear me and that I was breaking up a lot. Now I'm very concerned on using this if I were to switch away from my iPhone 5 and just use a iPad Mini 4G. I wonder if Skype would sound better.

Try Line2.

knucklehead

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2003
I would rather stick to something free. Does Skype use my cell minutes on the iPhone 5?

For free, try Vonage for a good reputation for call quality. You can only make outgoing calls to non Vonage #'s ... but like I said, it's free ...

I'm happy with Google Voice/Talkatone, but it's certainly not perfect. Sometimes the call quality is pretty poor for no apparent reason -- and sometimes it doesn't ring, or I can't pick-up even if it does ring. But I do always get get multiple notifications across ALL my computers, iDevices, and Nexus 7 indicating the call and the message left. It's just a matter of returning the call on your part, by whatever means seems best at the time.

dinosaur1

macrumors regular
Dec 23, 2007
For free, try Vonage for a good reputation for call quality. You can only make outgoing calls to non Vonage #'s ... but like I said, it's free ...

I'm happy with Google Voice/Talkatone, but it's certainly not perfect. Sometimes the call quality is pretty poor for no apparent reason -- and sometimes it doesn't ring, or I can't pick-up even if it does ring. But I do always get get multiple notifications across ALL my computers, iDevices, and Nexus 7 indicating the call and the message left. It's just a matter of returning the call on your part, by whatever means seems best at the time.

How does Skype work overall, does it burn my cell minutes or work over data? I find its clearer and better quality.

corvus32

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2009
USA
I would rather stick to something free. Does Skype use my cell minutes on the iPhone 5?

You say you want something free, but you're trying to use Skype to make calls. :confused:

Unless everyone you will ever need to talk to is on Skype, they require you to buy Skype credit or a subscription, plus you'll need to buy a Skype online number if you want to receive calls.

If the free version of Line2 doesn't meet your needs, they offer a 7 day free trial of the paid subscription.

dinosaur1

macrumors regular
Dec 23, 2007
You say you want something free, but you're trying to use Skype to make calls. :confused:

Unless everyone you will ever need to talk to is on Skype, they require you to buy Skype credit or a subscription, plus you'll need to buy a Skype online number if you want to receive calls.

If the free version of Line2 doesn't meet your needs, they offer a 7 day free trial of the paid subscription.

I have Skype and I have an associated number with it. I also pay $3/mo. for unlimited calls.

knucklehead

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2003
How does Skype work overall, does it burn my cell minutes or work over data? I find its clearer and better quality.

I haven't used Skype, so I can't say much about that ... :) I'm pretty certain it only uses data.

For myself, I use a cheap dumb phone that costs me close to nothing per year, along with the VOIP options already discussed, and it works fine for me. It might not be as suitable for someone who wants, or needs to be 100% instantly accessible by phone. Jut play around with the no cost options a bit, and see how it suits you.

Edit: I'll just add, that usually, the call quality using Talkatone is quite good.

Last edited:

corvus32

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2009
USA
I have Skype and I have an associated number with it. I also pay $3/mo. for unlimited calls.

With Skype, it's $3/month for service plus $60 per year for a phone number that doesn't receive text messages. That's $8 per month.

For $2 more, Line2 has real unlimited text and calling.

Others have mentioned google voice plus talkatone, but that's not free. You get to make a phone call, and they get to collect data.

dinosaur1

macrumors regular
Dec 23, 2007
With Skype, it's $3/month for service plus $60 per year for a phone number that doesn't receive text messages. That's $8 per month.

For $2 more, Line2 has real unlimited text and calling.

Others have mentioned google voice plus talkatone, but that's not free. You get to make a phone call, and they get to collect data.

How is the Line2 quality?

bursthead

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2010
This is what I did for a while when I first got my iPad prior to getting an iPhone, although I did have an old POS flip phone on a PAYG account for calls but no texting. I may go back to it once a retina mini comes out. One question I have though is - is it possible to have my iPhone 4s on a PAYG account without data once my current contract expires? If so I would likely keep it as my primary phone and use the mini for everything else. Before anyone say anything about just keeping the iPhone with data, there is a massive savings in money doing it the other way, something like $40-50/month with the few calls I make.

look into straight talk. Its unlimited text and voice with a soft cap of 2 gbs.

cardfan

macrumors 601
Mar 23, 2012
I still don't want a BT headset. And then there's the times you can't use your ipad to answer or make calls or look like a dork doing it.

What's needed is sort of like a mobile phone like device that will link to your ipad. Maybe there's something better, but how about an ipod touch? Leave your ipad hotspot on or maybe BT works better. I've heard the hotspot function on an ipad doesn't impact battery much.

With your Skype app on both devices, you can use either one for calls. The only caveat is you have to be in range of your ipad.

dinosaur1

macrumors regular
Dec 23, 2007
Has anyone used Skype with the iPad Mini? I have the $3/mo. Unlimited USA plan and when I used it on my iPhone 5 it worked and sounded much better than Talkatone.

How many still use a dumb phone plus their iPad Mini? I'm still debating whether or not I should do that.

dinosaur1

macrumors regular
Dec 23, 2007
What basic phone should I get that doesn't look too outdated with AT&T? I just need it for voice. iPad mini 4G for data.

marcperrot

macrumors member
Jul 31, 2012
Canada
I just signed up for Line2 after hearing good things. I have my work number on my iPhone, and personal on Line2. When I go travelling again I'm just going to use the Line2 account and get an iPad data plan where available for my calling and texting needs, and swap the nano sim between my iPhone and iPad.

dinosaur1

macrumors regular
Dec 23, 2007
I just signed up for Line2 after hearing good things. I have my work number on my iPhone, and personal on Line2. When I go travelling again I'm just going to use the Line2 account and get an iPad data plan where available for my calling and texting needs, and swap the nano sim between my iPhone and iPad.

$10 month is too steep

marcperrot

macrumors member
Jul 31, 2012
Canada
$10 month is too steep

It's a lot better than $50/m to get it on contract, and I liked the features offered by Line2. You must be really hard up if $10/m is breaking the bank. I value the services, and don't mind paying for them and the convenience provided by Line2.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.