Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lilo777

macrumors 603
Nov 25, 2009
Why should Samsung settle?

They are doing just fine. Here is how Samsung and Apple shares behaved in the last three months:

aapl.png

Apple probably needs this settlement more than Samsung.

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
Only in the minds of the Fandroids. They remind me of these madmen who are absolutely convinced that Obama is not an American citizen. No rational argument will ever get to them.

more the other way around. Only the Apple Fanboys still think that it means anything. Anyone who is following the facts should see that ruling is going to be appealed and since some very key patents in it have been declared invalid that number is going to drop like a rock.

Sora

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2007
New York, NY
Wow, some of you are ridiculously blind. They are not market leaders in any of their products? Lets start with Samsung Electronics...

DRAM - 40.4 % market share (leader)
NAND flash - 40.4 % market share (leader)
Large LCDs - 26.0 % market share (leader)
Active Matrix OLEDs - 97 % markert share (leader)
Lithium Ion batteries - 18.7 % market share (2nd)
All Televisions -17.2 % market share (leader)
Mobile phones - 25 % market share (leader)

On top of that, they are the 2nd largest shipbuilder in the world, 14th largest insurance company, and 19th largest advertising company... if Samsung was it's own country, it's revenue would be the 35th largest economy in the world.

Several people on here underestimate Samsung... they spend more on R&D than apple, are granted more patents than Apple, and are gaining more market share than Apple.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_top_United_States_patent_recipients

For those of you arguing the US company vs. Korean company thing, think about it for a second. What has Apple done for you and the US economy? They paid 3% of their revenue in taxes to the US government despite the US market being their biggest! What's the use when all of that money is locked into foreign accounts... its like the Facebook founder who delisted his US citizenship to keep his fortune. They do not care about you or the US economy so stop protecting them with your patriotism! All the REAL Apple US jobs are outsourced to China, in the meantime, the Korean company Samsung is looking to expand it's business in Texas and San Jose. Please don't bring in the US pride thing into allegiance-less nation-less multinational companies that only want the greens in your pockets. On top of that, Samsung hires and creates jobs for many of the korean people, they build research centers and factories all over South Korea, and give jobs to thousands of people in it's country. Although they have scandals and improper practices, the benefits to Korea and its people are tremendous. Is Apple doing the same in its home country ? I don't think so, they just employ thousands of Chinese workers, sit on a 100bilion capitalization that is used for NOTHING and congratulate themselves and shareholders that a bubble stock is going up at wall street.

We are discussing two different issues.
But since you took the time to explain.
I'll take the time to illustrate.

You listed all the areas in which Samsung is the leader in manufacturing. Wonderful. However, this is what I meant.

When you say:------------------ The market leader is:
DRAM---------------------------- Crucial
NAND flash---------------------- SanDisk
Large LCDs---------------------- LG/Sony
Active Matrix OLEDs------------ LG/Sony
Lithium Ion batteries----------- Duracell
All Televisions ----------------- LG/Sony
Mobile phones ----------------- Apple

Samsung is not the first thing that comes to the average consumers minds when you list off all the things they lead in manufacturing.
Just because you the leader in manufacturing everything does not mean your products are good. Hence, master of none.
There is not one product that Samsung makes, that is a Samsung labeled product that is an industry leader. Not one.

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX

You listed all the areas in which Samsung is the leader in manufacturing. Wonderful. However, this is what I meant.

Samsung is not the first thing that comes to the average consumers minds when you list off all the things they lead in manufacturing.
Just because you the leader in manufacturing everything does not mean your products are good. Hence, master of none.
There is not one product that Samsung makes, that is a Samsung labeled product that is an industry leader. Not one.

I would argue Samsung is the "market leader" in TVs. I don't personally own one, but when I think of high end TVs, I think of Samsung first. I would also put them at the head of the OLED category - the LCDs still belong to LG/Sony though. When I think crappy, overstaturated AMOLED displays I think Samsung, when I think high quality/extremely accurate sRGB LCDs I think LG/Sony ;)

kdarling

macrumors P6

Another poster pointed out that Samsung is considered a leader in manufacturing memory and CPU chips.

As for mass consumers, Apple buyers often try to get a device batch that has an Samsung LCD screen. Also, see below:

Samsung's Galaxy phones are considered industry leaders.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
I would argue Samsung is the "market leader" in TVs. I don't personally own one, but when I think of high end TVs, I think of Samsung first. I would also put them at the head of the OLED category - the LCDs still belong to LG/Sony though. When I think crappy, overstaturated AMOLED displays I think Samsung, when I think high quality/extremely accurate sRGB LCDs I think LG/Sony ;)

I'd also argue that the "general" consumer doesn't know who/nor cares who makes NAND, DRAM, OLED...

They just think "memory" - if they are thinking of it at all.

And first in mind is relative. You ask someone a question like who is the market leader in TVs - they would probably answer Sony, Samsung and Toshiba because those are the first companies that come to mind. That has nothing to do with sales or quality of products.

lilo777

macrumors 603
Nov 25, 2009

That's just bizarre. Let's forget the distinction between retail customers and OEMs. Still, Galaxy SIII was the best selling smart phone in the World in Q3. Samsung TVs outsell everybody by a huge margin and they are considered to be the best TVs. Name me one LG or Sony product with OLED screen. There is none. If Crucial has the best RAM why does Apple put Samsung RAM in all their products? Cheap bastards!

MacDav

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2004
A patent troll is someone who sits on their patents without practicing them and then sues someone who attempts to use the patented method or technology. You may think apple is overly litigious, but they do practice their own patents, so they are not a troll.

How exactly do you "Practice a Patent"? Just wondering. ;)

Glideslope

macrumors 604
Dec 7, 2007
The Adirondacks.
This is good...

I want the Appellate Court to see how Samsung refused to negotiate in good faith. After all, Apple could be friends with HTC. Why can't Samsung just meet in the middle. Apple is trying so hard!!

Well, guess they are the problem. Write that check. :apple:;)

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
I want the Appellate Court to see how Samsung refused to negotiate in good faith. After all, Apple could be friends with HTC. Why can't Samsung just meet in the middle. Apple is trying so hard!!

Well, guess they are the problem. Write that check. :apple:;)

Explain good faith.

Where in the article does it say Apple is trying to settle?

Previous discussions broke down because NEITHER party would concede

Apple can be friends with HTC because HTC isn't a threat to Apple. And HTC can't afford lawsuits - better to pay per device when sold then wind up in court.

Apple's trying very hard. At getting as most out of Samsung as it can. And guess what. Samsung is doing the same.

spanading

macrumors member
Jul 18, 2007
Fly to close the the sun and you will get burnt.

Samsung is getting good at flying close but not too close. From a quick read on wikipedia design patents afford the same protection to functional objects as copyright does to non functional ones like music. Hence, judging this I would assume is somewhat subjective. While Apple cannot claim rights to basic shape and designs, but the white of an ipod or other iOS device is very specific. The way iOS looks like and functions is (or at least was) very specific and something Steve warned all wanabe companies was patented. You were warned Samsung. Even google told you that your original phones interface was too close to iOS. Hence, depending on the judge and jury sometime Apple win and sometimes Samsung do. This very fact would seem to me to show that Samsung is trying to cash in on Apple's style. They maybe getting better at getting close but not too close but it does not cover up what they are trying to do!

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
I'd also argue that the "general" consumer doesn't know who/nor cares who makes NAND, DRAM, OLED...

And first in mind is relative. You ask someone a question like who is the market leader in TVs - they would probably answer Sony, Samsung and Toshiba because those are the first companies that come to mind. That has nothing to do with sales or quality of products.

I agree - I was simply stating my addendum to his list - not the original list of manufacturing market share. I agree, the majority of the public has no clue what DRAM, NAND or OLED even stands for or what the differences are between the types of memory or OLED vs LCD

----------

BTW - since the thread train has been moving through the neighbor's kitchen and has been well off the tracks for a while now:

I just read up on the HTC Droid DNA - things looks pretty sweet for a 5" phone. I've always been a fan of HTC. When I thought about switching from the iPhone it was going to be to an HTC One X. Too bad the DNA is only on Verizon though....

Hope HTC has a hit on their hands!

smoledman

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2011

Who cares about the "general" consumer? We're talking about real business here.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
[/COLOR]BTW - since the thread train has been moving through the neighbor's kitchen and has been well off the tracks for a while now:

I just read up on the HTC Droid DNA - things looks pretty sweet for a 5" phone. I've always been a fan of HTC. When I thought about switching from the iPhone it was going to be to an HTC One X. Too bad the DNA is only on Verizon though....

Hope HTC has a hit on their hands!

From what I read - it looks like they need one. Or two. I wish them well. I wish the industry well. No one company can provide a product for everyone that meets their needs.

----------

Who cares about the "general" consumer? We're talking about real business here.

That's not what Sora stated. If you have a problem with the parameter - go yell at him :)

moargolems

macrumors regular
Aug 21, 2011
Finland
The topic is "Samsung Not Interested in Settlement with Apple over Patent Issues"...

...and there's a flame war going on about Fandroids and Apple fanboys.

Douches.

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
You do know Apple is a software company first so by default that is where their patent concentration would be...it's not like this is news. This has been the case for over 30 years.

Are they not a hardware company? When comparing say to microsoft? Sure OS X is awesome, but they invest in the OS so they can sell more hardware.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
The topic is "Samsung Not Interested in Settlement with Apple over Patent Issues"...

...and there's a flame war going on about Fandroids and Apple fanboys.

Douches.

I tried a few times to point this out. Then, admittingly, get sucked into the side convos.

But yes. This thread is about Samsung not wanting to settle. Which I think makes perfect sense. End of story.

Sora

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2007
New York, NY
Another poster pointed out that Samsung is considered a leader in manufacturing memory and CPU chips.

As for mass consumers, Apple buyers often try to get a device batch that has an Samsung LCD screen. Also, see below:

Samsung's Galaxy phones are considered industry leaders.

The leader in manufacturing, does not make you the market leader.
Toyota is the a manufacturing leader, but I would hardly consider them the standard of an "Ultimate Driving Machine". That title belongs to BMW. Metaphorically and physically. Drive one.

I'm sure that the LG manufacturing processing isn't the same/equal to Samsung. If they were, buyers wouldn't notice the difference between an LG screen or a Samsung screen.

Question: If I were to go to Germany and replace all BMW emblems on their car manufacturing plants with GMC, would the cars that come out the other end instantly become inferior?

Answer: No. It's not the name that defines quality - it's the process.

Lastly, Samsungs Galaxy phones would love to be the industry leader in smartphones. Love to. Reality suggests they are not.

----------

It's possible they could be the market leader in TV's, I would give them the leaders in plasma TV's.
I agree with your OLED statement. That I have seen with my own eyes.

----------

Last edited by a moderator:

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
The leader in manufacturing, does not make you the market leader.
Toyota is the a manufacturing leader, but I would hardly consider them the standard of an "Ultimate Driving Machine". That title belongs to BMW. Metaphorically and physically. Drive one.

I'm sure that the LG manufacturing processing isn't the same/equal to Samsung. If they were, buyers wouldn't notice the difference between an LG screen or a Samsung screen.

Question: If I were to go to Germany and replace all BMW emblems on their car manufacturing plants with GMC, would the cars that come out the other end instantly become inferior?

Answer: No. It's not the name that defines quality - it's the process.

Lastly, Samsungs Galaxy phones would love to be the industry leader in smartphones. Love to. Reality suggests they are not.

----------

It's possible they could be the market leader in TV's, I would give them the leaders in plasma TV's.
I agree with your OLED statement. That I have seen with my own eyes.

----------

Thanks. Unnecessary, but thanks.
Reality suggests otherwise.

I'm not sure how you can be a judge of reality given your previous statements. Good luck with that.

StarTrek

macrumors newbie
Oct 5, 2012
Dallas, TX
I wonder how much Samsung pays people to come here and rebutt stuff said about them. These days it seems many MR posters are more passionate about defending Samsung as the greatest thing since sliced bread. Isn't there a pro-Samsung website/forum where you could do that? Why would anyone come to a site called MacRumors to read about how great and wonderful Samsung is?

I actually studied with a Director of Samsung in London who told me they pay people to go on to competitors websites and make negative comments, this would then draw an unhinged element to post comments favoring Sams**g on websites like this... a website for Mac, people are scared of Apple, because Apple has the best brand loyalty, hence the lines at a mac store hence they pay people to trash Apple. Scary stuff

Lancer

macrumors 68020
Jul 22, 2002
Australia
Just imagine hoe much better our tech would be if the likes of Apple and Samsung spent less time in court and more time developing products!

Sora

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2007
New York, NY
That's just bizarre. Let's forget the distinction between retail customers and OEMs. Still, Galaxy SIII was the best selling smart phone in the World in Q3. Samsung TVs outsell everybody by a huge margin and they are considered to be the best TVs. Name me one LG or Sony product with OLED screen. There is none. If Crucial has the best RAM why does Apple put Samsung RAM in all their products? Cheap bastards!

Bizarre as it may seem - that's the way the world works. Its what guides consumers to choose products on a daily basis.
It's what consumers recognize - not what they know. A small portion of purchases are not based on consumer recognition. Why do you think brand recognition, placement, alignment, endorsement is a trillion dollar industry?

McDonalds serves the most burgers in this universe. Are they the best? Hardly. Galaxy SIII is the best selling smart phone in the world. Are they the best? Not even close. It's what the masses can afford. Just like a McDonalds burger.

Samsung makes the back plating of their phones out of plastic. Cheap crap is made of plastic.

Last edited:

nick_elt

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2011
How can HTC afford this? (I know someone will say they cant afford littagation) but arnt they in deep **** and not making money? or am i wrong? Im neither for or against htc, never owned their phones.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
I actually studied with a Director of Samsung in London who told me they pay people to go on to competitors websites and make negative comments, this would then draw an unhinged element to post comments favoring Sams**g on websites like this... a website for Mac, people are scared of Apple, because Apple has the best brand loyalty, hence the lines at a mac store hence they pay people to trash Apple. Scary stuff

Really? the lines comment? Wow.

Well guess what. My best friend's cousin's brother's nephews great aunt once had pizza with the VP of Samsung marketing and he called the Director of Samsung in London a bit fat liar liar pants on fire.

Again - people need to use less tin foil hats. The truth is scarier to you than this fiction - which is - people can own and enjoy Apple products but also br critical of them. OH NOZ!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.