Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Thanks a lot! Do you know if the phone supports USB OTG and/or MHL?

Unfortunately I don't think so. It uses slimport which is basically the same thing. You'll need an adaptor if the TV doesn't support it or just plug it in if it is supported. I don't know what TV's are compatible with Slimport.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Welcome to my world. I just went out and looked at the LG Optimus G, the phone the Nexus 4 is based on, to at least have "some" kind of contact with the thing.

Actually I am very tempted by the Optimus G. For $200--with 2 year contract extension--I get the 16GB model with a memory slot and LTE. AND I would get full use of the LCD as it has separate capacitive nav buttons. Anyone know of a reason this phone is not a good choice too, besides the contract extension?

Mike

IMO the MAIN thing the N4 has going for it is pure Android and a huge dev community. If I had to choose I'd get the S3 before the Optimus G.

I'll NEVER buy a none Nexus Android device.

Oletros

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2009
Premià de Mar
IMO the MAIN thing the N4 has going for it is pure Android and a huge dev community. If I had to choose I'd get the S3 before the Optimus G.

Optimus G has a locked bootloader, Samsung devices are more dev community friendly

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Original poster
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)
Handled one today. The device is really nice.

Dat front panel.

Easily the best Nexus handset yet. Nexus One comes in second for me.

I think Google did the right thing moving from Samsung this time. I can't say Samsung have ever let me down though.

This is my first LG handset too. What a time top give them a try. :D

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
I love how the edge of the screen tapers off. The device feels really good in the hand. I'm happy there's no more hump-bump on the back.

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Original poster
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)
Can you make a Nexus 4 vs. iPhone 5 browser speed test video? 10 heavy websites on the same wi-fi network.

Interestingly, I wasn't able to find one on Youtube. Thanks!

Definitely interested in seeing that one but I don't have an iPhone 5 to hand and a vs video against a iPhone 4 would be totally unfair. :p

Hopefully one of our iPhone 5 owning friends can enlighten us.

Sensamic

macrumors 68040
Mar 26, 2010
What are your first impressions of the nexus 4 against the SGS3? Do you feel it's worth the change?

It's the screen better than amoled? I normally consider IPS better because of whites and higher brightness. How good is the max brightness compared to the SGS3 and iPhone 4?

And how at you doing with storage? Are you finding 13GB too little or enough?

Oh oh! And how about overall smoothness and speed? On the SGS3 I get lag sometimes. Is it more smoother than the SGS3 or just a little bit?

Thanks and congrats :D:D

inselstudent

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2012
Anyone else experiencing issues with screen responsiveness? I've just had it that the screen wouldn't respond in the lower right corner. I could neither use that area to pan around on a website nor could I click on an app icon there. A restart resolved the issue but still, not what I expect from a brand new ddvice...

And is anyone else's charger making a faint buzzing noise when plugged into a power socket?

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Original poster
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)
What are your first impressions of the nexus 4 against the SGS3? Do you feel it's worth the change?

It's the screen better than amoled? I normally consider IPS better because of whites and higher brightness. How good is the max brightness compared to the SGS3 and iPhone 4?

And how at you doing with storage? Are you finding 13GB too little or enough?

Oh oh! And how about overall smoothness and speed? On the SGS3 I get lag sometimes. Is it more smoother than the SGS3 or just a little bit?

Thanks and congrats :D:D
Very difficult to say about the S3. I had the Exynos quad core model which was a beast in itself.

I'm so used to SAMOLED now the IPS screen on both my iPhone 4 and Nexus 4 do seem dimmer when it comes to colour saturation.

I managed with the 16GB Galaxy Nexus fine and have all my apps on my 32GB Nexus 4 so anything missing on my Nexus is on my tablet anyway.

As for speed, JelleyBean on my wife's S3 isn't at all bad and but the pure build of Android on the Nexus 4 does run great on the phone.

Very hard to say what to do with an S3 owner as we're probably only a few months away from the next Galaxy flagship which should be another big leap in hardware I'd hope.

Anyone else experiencing issues with screen responsiveness? I've just had it that the screen wouldn't respond in the lower right corner. I could neither use that area to pan around on a website nor could I click on an app icon there. A restart resolved the issue but still, not what I expect from a brand new ddvice...

And is anyone else's charger making a faint buzzing noise when plugged into a power socket?

Nothing wrong with the touch screen yet. I've not used the plug which came with the phone yet as I have so many of them spare indoors I never bother opening them.

I have a UK plug if you want me to pop it out of the box for a quick test?

phobox

macrumors member
Dec 25, 2007
I'd also be interested in the performance of the N4 because I too get lag on my SGS3, which for me is incredibly annoying. If an N4 can beat the S3 in day to day usage and has a camera at least as good as the S3, then Im in. Only downside is the lack of SD slot, but hey I'll find a way to live with it. I did for years with my iphone.

inselstudent

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2012
I have a UK plug if you want me to pop it out of the box for a quick test?

Nah thanks, it's not a big deal, really. And it seems to stop after being plugged in for a couple of minutes anyway.

As for the screen issue, I activated developer tools by hitting on the build number in settings->about the phone for seven times or so (not sure what it's called in English, have set my phone to German atm). Then I enabled the option to show touch input and there's nothing wrong with the lower right corner of my phone now... Maybe it's software related.

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Original poster
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)
Nah thanks, it's not a big deal, really. And it seems to stop after being plugged in for a couple of minutes anyway.

As for the screen issue, I activated developer tools by hitting on the build number in settings->about the phone for seven times or so (not sure what it's called in English, have set my phone to German atm). Then I enabled the option to show touch input and there's nothing wrong with the lower right corner of my phone now... Maybe it's software related.

Hoping it was a one off but if I do encounter similar issues I'll be sure to post here!

strausd

macrumors 68030
Jul 11, 2008
Texas
So whatever happened to these things supposedly shipping the day you order it? Because its been more than 24 hours and still nothing...

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
So whatever happened to these things supposedly shipping the day you order it? Because its been more than 24 hours and still nothing...

Would be nice if they were shipped but didn't update us. They will probably ship out tonight though or early in the Morning and we won't get them till monday

strausd

macrumors 68030
Jul 11, 2008
Texas
Would be nice if they were shipped but didn't update us. They will probably ship out tonight though or early in the Morning and we won't get them till monday

Ya I am starting to think we won't get them until Monday, which sucks because I leave on Monday.

Tinmania

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2011
Aridzona

Yea I'm already over my Optimus G temporary temptation. Just wish my N4 had shipped! :)

Michael

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
Im reading some posts in Android Central that some people are having issues after updating their N4 to JB 4.2 For example, one said he lost NFC, another said it wont dial out now. Looks like there will be another update coming soon and they didnt get all the bugs out.....and this is why im waiting.

That and i think id rather see if a 32GB version will be announced soon. My GS3 is going to get updated to Jelly Bean any day now since TMobile has announced they are rolling out OTA's starting today so ill be ok waiting later for a N4....though i am looking forward to getting one. Ill check one out in TMo stores this weekend.

EDIT.. Update, just installed JB on my GS3 via Kies :)

Last edited:

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Original poster
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)
I think this is best case scenario over 3g as it was around 6am when tested but I just hit 20meg over 3g.

291830843.png

Still super impressed with the phone. :)

Attachments

• Screenshot_2012-11-15-06-15-49.png
    Screenshot_2012-11-15-06-15-49.png
    343.5 KB · Views: 155
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.