Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ramy1989

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 7, 2012
Hello,
I studied Mac OS X programming with Cocoa for over a year now, in the extra time that I have from university.
The book that I followed is Cocoa programming for Mac OS X - Aaron-Hillegass.
The book was fine, and now I bought iOS programming, the big nerd ranch guide (again Aaron-Hillegass).
But the problem here is that this book starts from basics, of things that I already know and I have to skip.I have to filter the important things.Also I would like to buy a book that doesn't write a lot of code, because I'm able to write code myself, rather I would read the explanation of things.
For example: "to do this watch this class in the documentation and do the following procedure", with some code snippets but with a more free structure.
Since I code a lot, having a book from where I have to copy the code isn't fun to me, I want to try it myself.
So what book would you suggest, standing to your experience?

chown33

Staff member
Aug 9, 2009
A sea of green
I suggest any book where you can download the code for every chapter, already typed in, with the accompanying Xcode project files. Most books should have that, usually at the website accompanying the book.

How do you find the website accompanying a book? Usually the URL is given in the introduction of the book, or sometimes on the back cover, in the book's index, etc. Or you can google the book's title and author, and see what websites come up. It's not that hard if you have reasonable search skills.

Given that you have all the code that's presented in the book, I suggest the following strategy. First, compile it as-is, browse through it, and see if you understand what the code is doing, just by reading the code and its comments. Second, try the first exercise at the end of the chapter. If you succeed easily, try a harder exercise. If you don't succeed easily at the exercise, study the chapter and the code more thoroughly.

Focusing on the exercises instead of typing every line of the book's code means you spend more time thinking about your own code and how it uses the presented concepts, rather than getting mired in the trivial details of loops, methods, or whatever basic building-block is being presented.

ramy1989

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 7, 2012
Thank you both for the answers, btw my book has the solutions, but till now I always typed personally the code (it's a suggest from the author of the book).I'll try that way, and see if I can go ahead this way or by O'Reilly 's book instead.

chown33

Staff member
Aug 9, 2009
A sea of green
Thank you both for the answers, btw my book has the solutions, but till now I always typed personally the code (it's a suggest from the author of the book).I'll try that way, and see if I can go ahead this way or by O'Reilly 's book instead.

I recommend typing it in, too, for those who've never programmed before. It's how you get familiar with the patterns of words and punctuation (syntax), which are so markedly different from normal writing.

For those who already know the language, though, it makes little sense to type it all in. You're already familiar with what the language syntax looks like.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.