Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

imac2152012

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 14, 2012
Hi, I just bought a used imac 21.5" desktop. The model number is A1311. My problem is that it came with the HD deleted or the OS not installed, I'm not sure, and not very smart with computers and this is my first mac.

It came with a grey Mac OS X Install DVD, but my drive keeps ejecting it about 30 sec. after I put it in. I am unsure how to get an OS installed on here. When I go to reinstall os x mountain lion it asked for a apple id that purchased the os, which I can't get from the previous owner.

The only screen that comes up is one that says OS X Utility and has some options, but without this cd working, I'm not sure what to do. Thanks in advance for any help, much appreciated.

Knoodles

macrumors 6502
Feb 2, 2003
Gone to the Beach
What does the grey install DVD say on it. It has to be for your iMac or it won't work.

What happens if you boot holding down the "r" key on the keyboard.

imac2152012

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 14, 2012
The cd says Imac Mac OS X Install DVD. It says hold down C key when the computer starts up. I tried that, but my drive keeps spitting out the dvd, I was thinking I might have a bad drive, I'm not really sure.

When I reboot holding R it just goes to the same Utility OS X screen.

Knoodles

macrumors 6502
Feb 2, 2003
Gone to the Beach
You need to look closer at the DVD. It should say what OS is on the disc and what machine it is for.
Yes the drive may be bad or lens is dirty, the disc dirty or damaged.
As I suspected you are entering recovery mode when you try to boot. Same as holding the r key. That's not going to help unless you get the previous owners Apple ID which isn't going to happen. Your best bet might be to go to an Apple store and pay $20 for a copy of Mountain Lion and have them install it for you.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.