Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

IanGahagan

macrumors member
Jun 11, 2012
Montana
Everyone on this Thread is talking about stretching the screen horizontally or vertically. That makes no sense, If apple ever makes a larger phone they will stick with the 16:9 but stretch it diagonally. Thats 2 years away though so Im not to worried about what Ives will come up with by then.

cardinalryan

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2010
I truly believe everyone has the right to express their opinion on this issue, but for the love of God, please just call it like it is.

If you have and love the iPhone 5, it is because you love iOS and Apple products, it has nothing to do with the screen size. If iPhone 6 (or whatever they will call it) has a 5" screen, the people who love Apple and iOS will jump on it and they will love the screen size.

The thing I'm tired of hearing is the "one handed use" thing. Seriously?? Personally, I carry an iPhone 5, but my wife has the Nokia Lumia 920 (which is a terrific phone in its own right)...neither phone is physically any easier to use than the other, and that is fact.

Basically, my point is, if you love the iPhone, great...if you love Android or WP8, great. However, rest assured, the vast majority chose the phone based on what they like best in the OS or because of apps the like or what not. So yes, I'm calling BS on those who claim they chose the iPhone because it was smaller...there, I said it.

MikeyMike01

macrumors 6502
Apr 4, 2010
If you have and love the iPhone 5, it is because you love iOS and Apple products, it has nothing to do with the screen size. If iPhone 6 (or whatever they will call it) has a 5" screen, the people who love Apple and iOS will jump on it and they will love the screen size.

Completely and utterly wrong. I replaced my entirely-too-large Galaxy Nexus with an iPhone 5. I've had several smartphones prior, mostly Android, that were all over 4". They were brutal. I won't ever buy a smartphone over 4" again. Period.

mdmc

macrumors newbie
Dec 2, 2011
Completely and utterly wrong. I replaced my entirely-too-large Galaxy Nexus with an iPhone 5. I've had several smartphones prior, mostly Android, that were all over 4". They were brutal. I won't ever buy a smartphone over 4" again. Period.

I completely agree! I love my IPhone but I DO NOT want a bigger phone. Please Apple leave it alone. I already have an IPad. I do not want a bigger phone.

alexander25

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2012
a lot of idiots on this forum.

there's a market out there for bigger phones, and i assure you that apple is aware of that. i expect apple to introduce a bigger iPhone (possibly 5" display) soon.

don't worry people, your 4" screen will still be available.

iPhone XL

w00t951

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
Jeez, you guys are really freaked out by change. I need a larger display. My Nexus has a large display that is terrific when consuming websites or other content. The iPhone's 4" display is less cramped than the display of my old 4S, but it's definitely less usable than any iPhone.

And I'm tired of the BS argument that you can't fit anything other than an iPhone into your pocket. The Galaxy SIII and Nexus are about 1cm wider than the iPhone 5... I think you can tolerate that.

eyespii

macrumors 6502
Mar 8, 2008
I completely agree! I love my IPhone but I DO NOT want a bigger phone. Please Apple leave it alone. I already have an IPad. I do not want a bigger phone.

there are plenty of people that do not have a tablet, nor would they care to spend the extra money to buy one. for some people, a smartphone with a larger screen would be a good compromise. What percentage of those 18M galaxy S3s sold last quarter would have bought iPhones if only the iPhone had a larger screen? Impossible to know exactly, but more than a handful I'm sure.

Beeplance

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2012

there's a market out there for bigger phones, and i assure you that apple is aware of that. i expect apple to introduce a bigger iPhone (possibly 5" display) soon.

iPhone XL

Nice assumption, but look who's the idiot.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 267

alexander25

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2012
Nice assumption, but look who's the idiot.

i'm an idiot because?

explain yourself at least.

there's a market for 4" phones
there's a market for 5" phones

if you think otherwise (majority of the ppl on here), you ARE an idiot.

people need to stop with the mentality that apple is always right in everything they do.

sevendust

macrumors newbie
Oct 24, 2012
There is only one thing that I am sure about this thing, whatever the size of the next iphone's screen is, a lot of people will still buy it. IMO, I still prefer the 4" screen compared to the SG3 and other android phones coz it's more comfortable to use.

Beeplance

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2012
i'm an idiot because?

explain yourself at least.

there's a market for 4" phones
there's a market for 5" phones

if you think otherwise (majority of the ppl on here), you ARE an idiot.

people need to stop with the mentality that apple is always right in everything they do.

There's a market for 4" phones.
There's a market for 5" phones.

Whoever told you Apple needs to cater to the entire market? Tim Cook told you? Your retarded assumption that Apple needs to satisfy everyone on the market is just spastic, & your lack of critical thinking skills is really revealing.

Just because there's a market for 5" phones DOES NOT point the direction that Apple is going.

alexander25

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2012
There's a market for 4" phones.
There's a market for 5" phones.

Whoever told you Apple needs to cater to the entire market? Tim Cook told you? Your retarded assumption that Apple needs to satisfy everyone on the market is just spastic, & your lack of critical thinking skills is really revealing.

Just because there's a market for 5" phones DOES NOT point the direction that Apple is going.

you were probably the same one that said a 7" tablet is a bad idea because the current iPad is just fine right? :rolleyes:

GOOFS

Beeplance

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2012
you were probably the same one that said a 7" tablet is a bad idea because the current iPad is just fine right? :rolleyes:

GOOFS

Oh changing the topic when you can't rebut the argument?

Look through all my posts & see if I said anything about the iPad mini being fine. Once again you're assuming without any concrete evidence. Your arguments look so pathetic & puny when you accuse people without any proof, & it's even more stupid when you did that just because you can no longer think of a point to defend yourself.

eyespii

macrumors 6502
Mar 8, 2008
Oh changing the topic when you can't rebut the argument?

Look through all my posts & see if I said anything about the iPad mini being fine. Once again you're assuming without any concrete evidence. Your arguments look so pathetic & puny when you accuse people without any proof, & it's even more stupid when you did that just because you can no longer think of a point to defend yourself.

it's not exactly a change in topic. in fact, it's demonstrative of how apple has created a new product in order to target a competing market segment that is eating into sales of their iPad. People that buy smaller tablets (fire, nexus 7) were not going to buy an additional 9.7" ipad. They saw their tablet market share for the last quarter erode down to 50% (source), and they needed a product to fight off the kindle fire and nexus 7.

It's the same thing with phones. Apple is a corporation who's primary goal is to make as much profit as it can. People who buy 4.8" phones aren't buying iPhones, and vice versa. As long as creating a larger iPhone and selling it will be profitable for Apple, they'll do it.

Last edited:

tensiondeadache

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2012
Southern California
I'm happy with the size of my iPhone 5. The display is perfect for watching video, as discussed. I was at the AT&T store playing around with the Lumia 920 and HTC One X and didn't really feel jealous. At first, the bigger screen seems nicer, but after thinking about it, the bigger, the dorkier they look, like it would be holstered on your belt or something. Smaller is the future...I like my iPad mini much better, and I can't wait trade in my 13 MBP for an 11.6 MBA.

Vitrum

macrumors regular
Nov 7, 2012
I'm happy with the size of my iPhone 5. The display is perfect for watching video, as discussed. I was at the AT&T store playing around with the Lumia 920 and HTC One X and didn't really feel jealous. At first, the bigger screen seems nicer, but after thinking about it, the bigger, the dorkier they look, like it would be holstered on your belt or something. Smaller is the future...I like my iPad mini much better, and I can't wait trade in my 13 MBP for an 11.6 MBA.

The iphone 5 screen is perfect for watching videos ? Are you serious ?

MikeyMike01

macrumors 6502
Apr 4, 2010

iPhone XL

That would be just fine in my book, so long as the 4" version does not have any features missing or shortcuts taken.

iciconnect

macrumors member
Original poster
May 18, 2010
Florida
http://www.extremetech.com/computing/136164-iphone-5-apples-169-compromise

----------

I totally agree

iceterminal

macrumors 68000
May 25, 2008
Dallas Tx.
This subject has been beaten into a red mushy paste. And people are still ignorant enough to argue about it.

Everyone has their own opinion about what they want. That won't change.

What I think is stupid is people buying something, then saying "Gee, I wish it were different".

If you wanted a phone that has a wider screen, then why buy one with a thin one, and then complain that its too thin? Please, don't jump into the water and bitch about being wet.

There are phones with larger screens, if thats your main contention then go get one of those. You win!

The great thing is, we have options. Fast phones, small phones, blue phones, loud phones, etc.
So find the one that you like and enjoy it.
Don't get it and then whine like some little 14 year old about how lifes not perfect. Please.

If you don't like what you have, then go get what you do like.

SR45

macrumors 65832
Aug 17, 2011
Florida
Yep. 7 month old thread, and the OP just had to revive it again. Same old whining about width. Go to anyone of the other offerings with a wider phone, and stop coming here. It has been beaten to death, and seems it will never end. :( :mad:

vastoholic

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2009
Tulsa, OK
http://www.extremetech.com/computing/136164-iphone-5-apples-169-compromise

----------

I totally agree

"Apple needs a wider screen." *Apple makes a wider screen*
"Apple is just playing catch up and it's making it harder on developers"

What exactly is it that you want? Even the article you linked to is older than the original thread. Everything that needed to be said was said in the last 3 pages.

underblu

macrumors regular
Apr 19, 2010
I agree with the OP a larger (wider) display is definitely needed. If anyone has watched Apple's stock price, the verdict is clear and indisputable. Without a larger screen Apple once the only relevant premium smart phone provider will become an also-ran.

It's shameful that Apple's upper management effectively dropped the ball with a larger smartphone and let a company like Samsung take away significant and traditionally Apple market share with the Galaxy S3. The sheer idea that Samsung, is effectively competing in the premium $200.00+ smart phone space with Apple " once the coolest most innovative mobile technology company on the planet" would have seemed ludicrous just 2 years ago.

I hope the next iPhone has an appropriately sized screen for a premium smartphone. And keep the smaller size for the people that prefer it. I can't wait to get rid of my S3 for a larger iPhone as the overall user experience of Android falls short of the polished, intuitive "albeit somewhat dated" IOS.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.