Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cloud25

macrumors member
Nov 22, 2006
I've never owned an iPad before but I'm planning on purchasing one soon. I dropped by the Apple Store today to check out both the new iPad 4 and Mini.

Having never used a retina device, I can say with full confidence that I can definitely tell a difference between the 4 and the Mini. The Mini screen is great in its own right but with my good eyesight, I can still tell a difference from pretty far away. I can read books on the Mini well but I don't know if it'll strain my eyes over time.

I prefer a bigger screen and retina now that I've seen them both next to each other. But I can completely understand why someone would pick a Mini over a 4. The weight of the Mini is absolutely ridiculous. The 4 feels like a brick in comparison. I like the bigger screen and retina but want the Mini's lightness :(

Back on topic, retina is way better than the Mini, this coming from someone who used both for the first time today. The difference is definitely noticeable and the Mini is in no way superior. Not saying the Mini screen is bad (it's good) but retina is better.

OTACORB

macrumors 68000
Jun 21, 2009
Central, Louisiana
You are right. Apple spoiled me with retina displays. I love retina displays, love them. When I swapped my mini for the new 4 I knew for me it was the right decision. My wife thought the display looked fine, but she is coming from a macbook air and an iPad 2. For me it would be taking a step backwards. I mean the display is what you stare at when you use it! Maybe I should have given it longer than a couple days, but I just felt like I shouldn't have to. I shouldn't have to try and like it, you know?

I get what you are saying, but the weight and size made me continue to use the iPad mini much more than I had the previous larger version. Display aside if your use goes up because of the thinner, lighter, smaller footprint then accepting the display is much easier to do. For me it was much more about the other things over the display. You really do get use to it and only when you then use a retina that you realize there is even a difference. So using it more, enjoying it more is just not a step backwards in my book.

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
The only Apple product I had tried was the iPod Touch 5 but it didn't take long to know that it was too small so I returned it. I wanted to do more than just utilize it for music. Oh well.

Best Buy had some open box iPad3 available from folks who recently bought one and decided to exchange for the iPad4 so I was told. I decided to give Apple another shot and the experience was much better. I liked it alot but it was too big and the weight was not to my liking either but I figured I can live with it especially since the display was outstanding.

But I guess I was in the right place at the right time when Best Buy got some Minis in and I purchased one purely by impulse.

In just one day's time using the Mini and fully realizing the tradeoff with the display, I returned the iPad3 anyway. Something tells me I'll never look back.

h00ligan

macrumors 68040
Apr 10, 2003
London
Since retina :)

I dunno it's a very very tough call that just boils down to what's important. The form factor is great on the mini. However the screen is far better on the full size. It's not just retina vs not retina. Colors and contrast are drastically different.

I suppose I could have a sub par mini, but I doubt that. From my view, as a photographer, the colors and richness of the mini are not as good. The black levels particularly.

We're i watching videos on a plane, size would matter more. Fr showing my work, the screen does. Ultimately I want both, but I feel the mini screen will be pretty drastically improved next gen. Of course I could be wrong!

Anyway, that's just an opinion for my personal use. Everyone is different. However as I lie in bed reading mr with the TV on and thumb tapping, the size, edges, etc of the full size are slightly uncomfortable. I'm changing to the mini!

Bottom line, we are spoiled for choice. Should be something to fit most needs, but not all at once. I can say that retina allows me to synthesize printed images much more closely

sixers610

macrumors newbie
Oct 30, 2012
My primary reason for wanting a mini over my iPad 3 is for reading yet the screen resolution isn't as good. As a result, I'm sticking with a kindle.

Awakener

macrumors 6502
Mar 28, 2011
My primary reason for wanting a mini over my iPad 3 is for reading yet the screen resolution isn't as good. As a result, I'm sticking with a kindle.

Considering other devices for reading also. You know it's bad when it can't even pass as a great ereader.

junglesnake

macrumors 6502
Oct 17, 2011
I too was getting headaches from my mini. I loved it but the screen was just not sharp enough when you get to a certain age so I gave it to the boy and got the 4 and the retina blew me away again! I forgot how nice this display was and is. If the next mini has retina I might go agin but if not then I'm staying with my big boy.

MrXiro

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2007
Los Angeles
Considering other devices for reading also. You know it's bad when it can't even pass as a great ereader.

Read a script on my iPad Mini today... no problems here.

Read 2 comic books (AvX) last night. Also no problems.

Last edited by a moderator:

Simgar988

macrumors 65816
Jul 22, 2009
UYBAATC
I'm going to keep my iphone 5 and 3rd Gen Retina and buy my ipad mini off craigslist for a steep discount.

First Apple product I won't have bought new.

bluespark

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2009
Chicago

I'm in the same boat for now. For me, the biggest benefit to a retina display is razor-sharp text. My first-generation Kindle delivers that, but the Mini does not. Thus, even though I'm entirely sold on the Mini's form factor, I'm sticking with my Kindle for reading until a retina Mini comes along. I can't think of too many other situations where an Apple product has been trumped by the competition on the basis of display quality, but that seems to be what has happened here.

WilliamLondon

macrumors 68000
Dec 8, 2006
Now, I took a lot of heat regarding the technical limitations of the ipad Mini screen. However, I was just at a best buy and looked at the two side by side.

In my honest opinion, the mini actually looked better than the ipad 3. The lack of retina was negligible considering that they have squeezed the pixels in such a small device. I had to keep the mini within inches of my face to really notice the pixel difference. However, the screen and colors just seemed so much richer than the ipad 3 next to it, which seemed dull.

This makes picking between the ipad 4 and the ipad 3 much more difficult. The size and weight of the mini is just awesome. I can without a doubt say that the ipad mini is going to be the new norm. It's the perfect size to take with you - out and about. Cannot wait for the LTE version.

Had apple honestly put retina and the A6 in it too, their competitors might as well have given up and closed down.

I wouldn't have thought the 3 was anything but much better than the mini - I've only seen a retina iPad up close in my hands once for any amount of time, and I remember at the time thinking, "wow this screen is amazing" and I hadn't even realised it was retina, I just remember it being so much better than my gen 1.

Regardless, though, what's great, is that I agree that the screen on the mini is very good (was just playing Lili and commenting on how good the graphics and display are), but more than that, what's really exciting is that when this gets an upgraded display (to retina or retina+), imagine how wonderful it will be then too!

Exciting times ahead, exciting times today. I love my mini, and it's going to be a wonderfully enjoyed device up till the time I sell it for an even better mini gen 2.

KeepCalmPeople

macrumors 65816
Sep 5, 2012
Los Angeles, California

clyde2801

macrumors 601
To me that would have actually made more sense than $329 for a non-retina. I mean, the iPad mini is not competing on price at $329, so why not just make it the best premium product in its category and charge the extra $50?

So Apple can sell millions of the minis with current specs NOW, and introduce a retina model in a year that will probably sell at or near the current price point.

Reviewers will exclaim it was what the mini should have been, ogle the display, etc., etc. Many of the purchasers of this year's model will excitedly give the 'old' model to their family members, install them in their cars, etc., before or after pulling out their credit cards again to buy millions of the improved model.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.