Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

marlalee

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 17, 2012
I don't have AppleCare or other insurance. The phone had a case on it but it wasn't enough, I dropped it on pavement and the front glass shattered.

Is there any service that can fix it relatively cheap? Can I purchase a replacement screen and try to fix it myself? How much will Apple charge me to repair or replace it?

Thanks very much for any advice.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
They'll do an out of warranty replacement I think for a couple hundred.

tgi

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2012
Can you provide more details on your drop?

Just wondering how a naked iPhone can be dropped numerous times and still not shatter per drop tests on YouTube, whereas your iPhone in a case shattered after one drop.

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011

kgian

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2011
As iphone 5 parts are not readily available yet, I would suggest the out of warranty repair...

marlalee

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 17, 2012
Can you provide more details on your drop?

Just wondering how a naked iPhone can be dropped numerous times and still not shatter per drop tests on YouTube, whereas your iPhone in a case shattered after one drop.

The case I have on it is pretty lightweight: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009B8ITH8/. I also have a screen protector on the front. The phone fell out of my bag (fell about 3 feet) and landed on pavement. It appears to have fallen top first as this is where the cracks start from. The glass is cracked all the way from top to bottom and shattered in many little pieces, the screen protector is just holding it together.

BIRDinho

macrumors regular
Aug 29, 2010
I cracked my iPhone 5 screen last week. Walked in and out with a brand new iPhone 5 for free :cool:

The genius must have been in a good mood that day..

adam044

macrumors 65816
Jan 24, 2012
Boston
I know there's a mall kios in my local mall that replaces screens and backs and everything. they have all different colors, think the whole phone only costs a little more than $100. not sure if you have one of those.

but also the iphone 5 screen literally pops off from the body, much easier than before.

YUOWI

Suspended
Nov 9, 2012
I cracked my iPhone 5 screen last month and they will do an out-of-warranty replacement

Minhimalism

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2012
Texas
Sorry to hear but a 3rd party should be able to fix that up for cheap no? I know that for my iphone4s i got the screen repaired for $70 on the spot

The problem is iPhone 5 screens aren't readily available yet and it's expensive to get them replaced.. so it's better to just grab a new phone for $229 + tax :) or free if the genius is feeling nice!

Jungle Jack

macrumors member
Sep 24, 2012
Hello,
When I was at the Brandon, Florida Apple Store on Monday, I actually asked if they had replacement Screens. If that is indeed the case, I would be shocked if it cost more than $100 as unlike the 4/4S, replacing the 5's Screen is fairly straightforward. iFixit gave the iP5 a 7/10 for repairability.
Here is the link:http://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/iPhone+5+Teardown/10525/1

Provided there is no other damage than the Screen, I would at ask if they offer to replace it. Otherwise, I would also contact one of the myriad 3rd Party Apple Repair Shops to see if they might have received stock of the Screens.

Provided you are able to replace the Screen for $100 and there is no other damage, I would then go to the Apple Store and add AC+. While some might find this disingenuous, provided the phone is in perfect condition after the repair, I do not believe this to be so.

Regardless, really sorry this happened and hopefully you will not have to pay $229 to just replace the Screen.
Cheers,
JJ

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009
If you could find the part for cheap, you could repair it yourself since it's much easier to do on an iPhone 5.

Though I doubt you'll find the part, and if you do, it'll be expensive... You might as well pay $229 at apple.

It'll take a while before the price becomes 50 or so bucks for a glass

BanjoBanker

macrumors 6502
Aug 10, 2006
Mt Brook, AL
You should the folks at http://www.techrestore.com. I had a MacBook screen replaced by them and an original iPhone screen replaced. Also, Macrestore is a good spot for parts. They should have the iPhone 5 screens now. The cost should not be more than $150. My 4S screen was only $125 to replace and I have been told the 4S screens are a pain to replace and the 5 is a snap. Apple would be happy to do it, but I am sure it would not be cheap.

macking104

macrumors 6502
Jan 14, 2003
California, USA
1. talk to Apple and be honest and mention it was in a case and had a screen protector... never know, they may replace it free...
2. check with your credit card company. Some offer 90 day purchase protection.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.