Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

veryevilash

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 19, 2012
I'm seriously considering getting this:

http://store.apple.com/us/product/FD063LL/A

instead of waiting for the new model to come out. I really want to have the optical drive and don't really care how thin the screen is. It's in my cart now, I'm just hesitant to press the button. I don't know if I'm going to regret saving some cash instead of getting then new one next month. This seems like a great deal though.

diagnostics247

macrumors member
Jul 29, 2012
Just wait and get the new ones when they are released. If you are dead set on an optical drive save the money to either purchase the Apple SuperDrive or another compatible drive.

amemoryoncelost

macrumors 6502
Jun 14, 2004
I won't lie. Was gonna do apple financing, but after looking into it a little more. I found the discover card which has 14 months 0% APR, 5% cash back for apple.com purchases and through the months of nov and dec, another 5% cash back. So 10% cash back (which covers tax) and 14 months to pay it off, boom! Grabbed a 27" i7, so pumped! These were up a few days ago, but my card hadn't shown up, so when they sold out of them, I was really hoping more would show up. Earlier today, the i7 wasn't in the refurb store, but when I got home, my discover card was waiting for me, activated it and checked the refurb store. lo and behold, there it was. Done and done! Already have a 128GB SSD sitting here from newegg that's going in and will be ordering some RAM tonight as well!
Yeah, I'm excited :p

veryevilash

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 19, 2012
I won't lie. Was gonna do apple financing, but after looking into it a little more. I found the discover card which has 14 months 0% APR, 5% cash back for apple.com purchases and through the months of nov and dec, another 5% cash back. So 10% cash back (which covers tax) and 14 months to pay it off, boom! Grabbed a 27" i7, so pumped! These were up a few days ago, but my card hadn't shown up, so when they sold out of them, I was really hoping more would show up. Earlier today, the i7 wasn't in the refurb store, but when I got home, my discover card was waiting for me, activated it and checked the refurb store. lo and behold, there it was. Done and done! Already have a 128GB SSD sitting here from newegg that's going in and will be ordering some RAM tonight as well!
Yeah, I'm excited :p

So your in the same boat as me. Might as well save some bucks and just pick this up and upgrade it yourself, huh? If you don't mind me asking, can you post the SSD that you got from newegg?

amemoryoncelost

macrumors 6502
Jun 14, 2004
it was the samsung 830 for $100 or $89 I think. I'm at work now, so I can't answer for sure. but the 830 gets better reviews than the updated version and newegg had a decent price and free shipping, so why not. I probably should have went with a bigger version, but I think I'll be fine with the 128GB and with the way the upgrade goes, it'll be easy to clone a 256GB version and swap it out. Good luck!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.