Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DisMyMac

macrumors 65816
Sep 30, 2009
I wonder if they are having the same problems with Thunderbolt displays (assuming they get updated at all). :confused:

gmanist1000

macrumors 68030
Sep 22, 2009
I wonder if they are having the same problems with Thunderbolt displays (assuming they get updated at all). :confused:

The only use would be for them to get thinner. They might as well wait until the retina versions of the iMac come out, and release retina thunderbolt displays alongside or soon after.

fitshaced

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2011
The only use would be for them to get thinner. They might as well wait until the retina versions of the iMac come out, and release retina thunderbolt displays alongside or soon after.

The new iMacs are less reflective than previous models which is what the Thunderbolt Display needs badly.

uptownnyc

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2011
Can they at least sell a friggin 2011 iMac on the store website if they're going to delay it? lol

I don't believe these rumors. The fact that you can't purchase a 2011 iMac in store or online just tells me the release of the new model is right around the corner. What company would stop all sales of any product if the new one wasn't to be released soon. That's just plain stupid.

My guess is that their production lines are either converted, or in the process of being converted over to manufacture the 2012 model. Too hard to unwind that conversion in order to keep making what's now considered an old design and still have your new production line ready to build the new model.

Bolo4u

macrumors member
Feb 16, 2009
So with money in hand ready to buy an iMac, I can neither buy the current iMac nor the newly announced iMac?

Well played Apple...well played (sarcastic slow clapping in the background).

1233928590citizenkanecl.gif

lizardofwoz

macrumors regular
Aug 9, 2012
Australia
The REAL reason for the delay was the revolt on Pandora. The bloody Na'vi have cut off supplies of Unobtainium which is essential for all thin products...

Johnf1285

macrumors 6502a
Dec 25, 2010
I just wanted to chime in. I think it's so funny how quickly everyone jumps down Tim Cook's throat and then over analyzes his position and capabilities.

The blog post on that French website is more than likely "link bait" to help boost their blog's rankings.

There are other options available on the market. Typical PC manufacturers are doing some great things with Windows 8. There's other choices out there other than Apple.

Any little scrap of news or rumor about the 2012 iMac is driving us all into a crazed feeding frenzy of anger.

I just want to point out that there are a handful of support articles on the Apple website that lists the "Late 2012 iMac" in their titles.

At this point we just continue and wait. If there is no 21.5" this month, then we have an issue.

iMcLovin

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2009
Apple is still stating November & December though. If they know they are not gonna make the Xmas sale, wouldn't they change those dates by now?

washburn

macrumors 6502a
Apr 8, 2010
yeah I just can't imagine Apple announcing things before they are finished or if there are still major problems going on, they obviously felt announcing availability to November/December as the right thing to do, its still on track for release but as Tim Cook stated shortages are expected.

Deathwish86

macrumors member
May 1, 2012
Agree, but the last minute delay of iTunes really makes u think ...

----------

Or they could launch iTunes together with the new iMac in November...this could also be a possibility. I don't see them further delaying the iTunes past this month.

cathul

macrumors member
May 5, 2008
However I believe in their philosophy of thin design. Striving for thinner and smaller products have always been in their DNA. Just look at the progress of all their Apple products since Steve Job's second coming. Youtube them and see how many times since the first iMac has Steve and company talked about how thinner the product is versus their respective predecessors. You can't tell me that up until now this design philosophy of theirs has done nothing but damaged them? On the contrary, it got them to the top of the world.

Why does this remind me of the novel "Thinner" by Stephen King?

Overg

macrumors 6502
May 26, 2012
I have to say that giving the many problems they are facing in the manufacture process, one have to ask himself if buying an iMac as soon as it out of the factory, is a smart move.
I am almost sure that since it is such a delicate computer now it will be even smarter to wait a little.

----------

yeah I just can't imagine Apple announcing things before they are finished or if there are still major problems going on, they obviously felt announcing availability to November/December as the right thing to do, its still on track for release but as Tim Cook stated shortages are expected.
If this is the case how come we don't see ore order.?
All other apple stuff was many time on a sale with 4 weeks wait, so why not now? This face alone show that something isn't right.

garrize

macrumors regular
May 20, 2012
Paris, France
My G4 from 2005 is crashing on various websites, including simple ones like Yahoo News and CBS News, while others tell me to upgrade to a newer Flash Player version which requires OS 10.6, but of course I can't upgrade past 10.4 because my machine is PowerPC-based.

Actually you can update to 10.5.8... I have an iBook G4, PowerPC and it runs it pretty smoothly, even with 512MB of RAM. :)

washburn

macrumors 6502a
Apr 8, 2010
If this is the case how come we don't see ore order.?
All other apple stuff was many time on a sale with 4 weeks wait, so why not now? This face alone show that something isn't right.

They are probably sorting out configuration options or shipping or who knows what. They said November its still November only mid way...it could happen late November and the 27" early December...

prism

macrumors 65816
Dec 6, 2006
I hate to say this, but I'm actually considering buying a PC... I've been waiting for the iMac so that I could have some decent graphics on WoW, but at this point, I might just throw in the towel and get a decent tower. UGH!

I did that at the beginning of September, was fed up waiting for a new imac so jumped ship and bought a Dell XPS 8500 with a quad core i7, 12gb ram, 2tb hd and a high end ATI 7870 GPU with 2gb DDR5 vram. All this for $1100. Runs skyrim like bliss, i'm a happy camper.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.