Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thedeejay

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 16, 2012
Toronto, Canada.
So as of right now, has there been any possible reason as to why Siri is not available on the iPad 2, but is available on iPad Mini? Some argue that it's for "selling" newer devices. But realistically, I doubt it'll stop people who have an iPad 2 from upgrading if they really wanted to. Did Apple comment about it or left it in the dark as usual?

raccoonboy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2012
Same Cpu, same ram, smaller screen. I dont know, if it can run the same ios then siri should be enable for Ipad 2. Not that i wanted to use it but i feel this but i feel it is the case with Iphone 4 as well.

chdwil

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2009
Siri could be on the 2 if apple wanted. Honestly though I hardly ever use Siri on the ipad.

Caliber26

macrumors 68020
Sep 25, 2009
Orlando, FL
I've often heard people on here state that it's because of their agreement with the company they purchased Siri from, that they could only bring it to new products and not old ones, which is why we've only seen it on products launched since the iPhone 4S.

Whether that's true or not, I have no idea but I guess that is a possibility.

*this is not to be confused with the voice dictation feature recently added to older Macs via Mountain Lion

OdT22

macrumors 6502
Oct 28, 2012
Siri is more of a novelty IMO yet. It works but by chance only.
Still faster to rely on a browser than rely on a prediction.

I hope the idea is advanced further. Until it is, there's still google.

Baggio

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2012
There is an app called Evi that is similar to Siri. It worked on my previous iPhone 4. It should be comparable with iPad 2.

bagelmaker

macrumors member
Oct 29, 2012
I've often heard people on here state that it's because of their agreement with the company they purchased Siri from, that they could only bring it to new products and not old ones, which is why we've only seen it on products launched since the iPhone 4S.

Whether that's true or not, I have no idea but I guess that is a possibility.

*this is not to be confused with the voice dictation feature recently added to older Macs via Mountain Lion

This is what I've heard too and it makes since to me. Basically they contracted to be able to lisence the use of Siri from this point (whenever the agreement occured) forward. My guess is it will be a similar agreement with the new clock design they've recently lisenced.

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
I thought someone from Apple said it was because of the audio processor used in the iPad 2 and iPhone 4 - not good enough background noise rejection which makes voice commands even more unreliable.

Random 995K

macrumors 6502
Nov 3, 2012
I thought someone from Apple said it was because of the audio processor used in the iPad 2 and iPhone 4 - not good enough background noise rejection which makes voice commands even more unreliable.

Yeah i heard this as well from in an another forum

raccoonboy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2012

went to play with 4s siri at the shop nearby. It's actually quite accurate of what i was saying even in some noisy environment. I mean real noisy, so many people playing with ipad and i didnt use earphone with mic, i just speak into the device mic. Although, the thing is useless in thailand.

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005

I actually have extremely good success with Siri. Very little trouble with the speech-to-text though I've been using a speech recognition dictation systems at work for nearly 11 years so I've gotten very good at annunciating everything very clearly and properly.

I send text messages thru Siri all the time and it only has problems with proper names and other odd words. But again, I'm probably an atypical user in that I'm very used to computer speech recognition and I don't add pauses, "uh" or "umm" or other sounds like trailing S's or R's which might effect accuracy.

layziegtp

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2009
It isn't a technical issue. It's a selling point. You are buying a device with or without Siri, and paying for the feature accordingly.

Just wait, new hardware in the fall will come with new features *exclusive* to them. People will /upgrade\ to a new device because of a software feature, and that's a fact.

It's all about the money.

M87

macrumors 65816
Jul 18, 2009

I disagree. There are many tasks that Siri performs consistently well. It's much easier to say, "Siri, set the timer for x minutes", without ever leaving the app I'm using than it is to press the home button, search for the clock, click on timer, scroll through the numbers, etc.. You may not use it, but it is useful.

hyteckit

Jul 29, 2007
Apple needs to ramp up their data-centers to support all the iOS devices.

Right now, Siri is kinda slow and at times not available.

Still in beta ==> upgrading data-centers

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.