Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ECUpirate44

macrumors 603
Mar 22, 2010
NC
Does your school have a student legal services department? How about a landlord tenant branch of the government in your area?

Clint

This.

Nearly every school has Student Legal Services, it's surely a better option than asking for opinions here.

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
The ppl living here, including myself met the guy for 10 minutes. He was in and out. We don't know him at all, but the guy in Africa does. So hopefully he'll tell me what to do, but as of right now this guy has been missing for months... and not once has anyone come to this place, where he lived for two years asking questions.

Personally, I think he dropped out of school and just went his own way. Perhaps moved far away, but it seems odd considering all the stuff he's has here...from DJ equipment, vinyls, laptops, printers, etc. etc.

Whoever leased it to him would have an emergency contact assuming they went through the proper procedures. This would be somewhat relevant.

http://www2.courtinfo.ca.gov/protem/courses/ud/03_309.htm

If he is on the lease, contact the landlord. Landlord should have an emergency contact. I guess you could try filing a missing person report with the police, as that does not sound like normal abandonment. It's just that normally when someone moves in you'd acquire some kind of identification and emergency contact information. I can't remember the full details on abandoned personal property. There are laws regarding it. I'm just not going to list what I recall as it could be incorrect or outdated.

Macky-Mac

macrumors 68040
May 18, 2004
you're living in an apartment you sublet from some guy in africa? LOL, that sounds so like a craigslist nigerian internet scam! :p

Anyway, I also live in an apartment near UCLA and just recently a neighbor vanished and stopped paying his rent. To legally get rid of him, the apartment complex had to take him to court and evict him. He never showed at the court hearing of course so the apartment complex got an eviction order against him. To get rid of his stuff legally they had to post a notice telling him he had a certain time in which he could come and reclaim his possessions. After that time they were legally free to remove and dispose of his stuff.

In your case, since you don't have any sort of legal agreement with the missing guy, I suspect that means you don't have any "legal" right to his stuff.

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level
It's not your stuff op plain and simple

If anyone has a claim to it, it's the landlord. Assuming the owner or family don't pick it up

At any rate contact the cops. Can't believe this hasn't been done yet

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Well, everyone that's known him (the lease holder and landlord only) say he comes and goes so its not a big issue. But considering school is 7 weeks in, they've assumed he just dropped out.. but doesn't explain his stuff still being here. I can only now wait for the guy in Africa to reply to me, but different time zones and all.

How do you know he's not going to class?

eric/

Sep 19, 2011
Ohio, United States
Interesting situation here.

I moved into this certain apartment (where I'm at now) located a few blocks away from my university. (UCLA)

I first checked out this place on August 21st, 2012; where the owner of this particular apartment (but not the complex), showed me around and I signed the lease the next day. The guy who "owns" this apartment lives in Africa running his business and leases it out to 4 college students during the regular school year.

I moved in on the 1st of September, where my roommate was never around. Classes began on the 17th of September so figured he would surely return by then. Days progressed and he showed up one time, only to pick up some weed and then left. Since, we've never seen him.

This is somewhat of a problem because for the month of September, his portion of the rent was paid with the deposit he originally submitted to the apartment complex...but when October came around he was not to be found. Aside, we have to assume he dropped outta school or something happened, considering he's never picked up or returned a phone call from any of us here at the apartment.

When October rolled by, the 3 remaining people (which includes myself) paid for his portion of the rent and October came and went without any communication from him, though we've still tried calling.

Then when this month of November came by we realized he was probably not gonna come back, so we found another roommate; to the agreement of the owner of the Apartment who is currently in Africa; who he too has not been able to reach this ghost of a roommate.

We found a new roommate for November and here we are. The problem(s) are that this guy who has been missing for months on end still has all his belongings here. From guitars, violins, a beautiful flatscreen TV and an amazing bike, just to mention a few things, not including clothes and everything else you would expect.

The current concern is that the new guy that has moved into the apartment to replace him, wants to seriously get rid of this guys stuff, including furniture so he can make way for his stuff, since he is living here and paying for it.

As an aside, the all of us here are admittedly eyeing his stuff and wanting to keep some of it. It's not everyday you come across a nice flat screen and bike..

yet, he doesn't answer his phones and it's been months.

If I was writing this thread back in mid September then this would be a different situation, but we're in mid November already and something needs to be done. To make way and etc. etc.

Any advice? I can't help but wonder what the legality of all this is?

Maybe you should report him as missing to the police. Nobody just leaves that kind of stuff laying around.

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
^^^

While you and your roomies plot the distribution of this individuals belongings, he could have had an accident, a breakdown, be lying dead someplace anything could have happend.

I'd contact missing persons, he's been gone long enough for them to take it seriously.

And no, you can't just take his possessions either.

likemyorbs

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2008
NJ
Another vote to report him missing. You don't know anything about his family? His friends? Nobody just leaves these kind of things around.

Nabooly

macrumors 6502a
Aug 28, 2007
I would have called the police after one week if my roommate disappeared and didn't answer calls and texts. Especially if I don't know his habits because I only met him in August of this year.

You really don't need any information about him. You just need his first and last name and take that to the police, let them handle it. I would never ever ever cover a roommates rent unless he was a good friend. I'm sorry but you guys really didn't handle this situation properly.

Suspicious actually, they could make a CSI episode out of this (lol).

mobilehaathi

macrumors G3
Aug 19, 2008
The Anthropocene
Sounds like OP is trying really hard to justify taking someone's stuff without even a good faith effort to resolve the problem. Lots of good advice so far, which OP just dismisses while salivating over a bike.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Sounds like OP is trying really hard to justify taking someone's stuff without even a good faith effort to resolve the problem. Lots of good advice so far, which OP just dismisses while salivating over a bike.

That's how I read the thread. The fact is, the guy could very easily call the police who will find out who his roommate is and take action. The stuff is just stuff and I can't believe the OP is so insensitive to focus on stuff and not a human being.

r6girl

Administrator/Project Manager
Staff member
Sep 6, 2003
New England
Go to the police and file a missing persons report. Considering you have not done that yet is pretty sad.

You know he is missing. Good idea to file the report.

This. Call the police and let them track down his next of kin. What if he was killed or kidnapped? Or is lying in a hospital somewhere in a coma?

Exactly. The well-being of your missing roommate is more important than whether or not you get to keep his stuff. If you suddenly went missing for months, would you want your roommates to do nothing but eye your stuff instead of contacting the police to figure out what happened to you? :rolleyes:

Aug 5, 2012
Sounds like the OP is trying to establish an alibi.

Did you have anything to do with this persons sudden disappearance?

Would explin why Police havent been contacted

AlyseM

macrumors member
Oct 29, 2012
I think you have to give him notice you are getting rid of his stuff. Ask your landlord to do it. They probably have more contact info than you do.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
As an aside, the all of us here are admittedly eyeing his stuff and wanting to keep some of it. It's not everyday you come across a nice flat screen and bike..

Any advice? I can't help but wonder what the legality of all this is?

Greed.....such greed.....what a singularly unpleasant original post. Really? You don't come across "a nice flat screen and bike" every day? How unfortunate for you. Seize the day, and all that....

Buy a storage unit and put his stuff in there so the new guy can move in. Call the guy and text him or send him a letter that his stuff is available to be picked up and he has three months to claim it. If he doesn't respond or try to contact you, the stuff is yours. Just keep recordings and copies of emails/texts/letters.

Good advice.

..... We thought about moving his stuff into a unit but that costs money and considering we've not heard a peep from him fear we'd never get the money back.

----------

... but he does have a nice bike which I would love to have... but still, nothing is happening, its just sitting here and figured i'd ask the question. :)

Sigh.

Has anyone contacted LAPD? Might be a good idea. IMHO

Exactly.

Personally, I think he dropped out of school and just went his own way. Perhaps moved far away, but it seems odd considering all the stuff he's has here...from DJ equipment, vinyls, laptops, printers, etc. etc.

How do you know that he 'has dropped out?' You are merely making this assumption without any knowledge of the guy or his situation.

As other posters have said, he could be dead, comatose, suffered a mugging, a murder, a breakdown, you don't know, and, until you make a serious effort to find out you will have no way of knowing. To say 'I think he dropped out' is - I think - mentally lazy and, frankly, extremely self-serving in this instance.

I hear you but I think his parents should be notified of the situation. Just because no one has visited doesn't mean he that there isn't a family somewhere that cares about him.

Exactly.

You may not have any info but I'm sure the school does. I personally would be more concerned that nothing bad happened to him and I think the school and authorities would want to look into it that too. If the school can contact the family I think they should be the ones to decide what happens with all his stuff.

I'm astonished that no effort has been made to contact the administration in the school. Of course the administration/college bureaucracy/college authorities have his contact details. And, of course, they won't give them out to you, but they will most certainly attempt to contact him themselves and seek an explanation for why he has - apparently - vanished into thin air.

I have taught in universities for decades; if a student fails to show for classes, or turn in essays and assignments, questions get asked.

So get a storage unit and put all his stuff in it, problem solved.

Then find out if you can get his name off the lease.

That seems like a good solution....

We won't get the money back. We won't. As college students we don't have the extra cash to put some guy's stuff in storage and pay a recurring fee.

So, deep down, you want approval - or permission - or sanction from anonymous contributors to support a course of action which will allow you (in your own mind) to take the guys stuff, and divide it up between you, but you cannot be bothered (I was about to write a considerably ruder word) to 1) contact the college authorities, 2) or contact the police.

OP, you are not covering yourself in glory here. I have to say I am not impressed by your justifications, or prevarications. Pathetic, in fact.

I am getting on your because your thread says you want to steal your missing roommates stuff that you have no idea who he is or where he is.

Exactly.

Exactly this.

I understand that may not be your end game but from your replies it make it seem like your looking for the right answer that allows you guys to split up his stuff. I'm giving you the befit of a doubt but, I'll repeat myself one more time. The school will have information on his family. They will know how to get in contact with them. Once they do I'm sure you'll hear rather quickly regarding their wishes.

In the meantime put all his things in storage to make room for the new guy.

----------

You're right they won't give him any information but if he explains the situation I'm sure the school will want to contact the family themselves. Especially if they are due any tuition.

This is a very good post, and makes total sense in the circumstances.

...As for the storage unit idea... it's too much hassle and effort. Hundreds of pounds worth of books, clothing etc. We don't have time to handle this especially during the middle of the quarter. I would much rather leave his stuff as is, but if I speak with both the landlord/owner of this complex and the leaser holder of this apartment, i'll make sure to cover my ass by having them sign papers saying at their discretion that we can throw or keep this guy's stuff. Perhaps because i'm living here within this guy's stuff that I feel it's his fault for not having dealt with this before hand, or at the very least communicating with us that he would be somewhere out and about for months on end.

Differently however, if something did happen to him then obviously all of these items will and should go to his family.

The tone of this post is depressing. Really depressing.

So keep his stuff.

It sounds like you don't really want advice - you just want everyone make you feel better and tell you it's cool to keep everything.

Nicely-phrased. Seriously, OP, your thread strikes me as a particularly pathetic attempt to persuade yourself (by persuading those posting) that you have permission to treat yourself to these effects.

You don't.

If the guy has died, or is incapacitated for any reason, his effects fall to his family, not you or your mates. While I'm astonished that you have done next to nothing about attempting to find out what may have happened, I'm even more astonished that you are looking for excuses to keep what you have described, over the course of several posts, as 'pretty good stuff'.

No, not truly. I could care less about that. I just want to be legally protected should issues arise.

Fine. See your school's legal department, then. Inform them what has happened, and seek their advice. Simple.

... I do want a bike, but only if I can appropriately attain it.

----------

But I can still come up positive in this situation. I just have to approach it correctly, which explains the infancy in this thread.

Really? You want a bike? And what exactly explains the 'infancy in this thread' - the mind boggles - your outlook, or the considered responses of those who have suggested that you approach the relevant authorities?

Yeah, i'm not lie that a new bike would be killer.. and the situation may or may not allow me to get it.....

The 'situation' won't allow you to get it. This is not your property...and seeking permission to help yourself to the good of someone missing, injured, dead, or absent for good (or bad) reasons is disgraceful behaviour.

These are a dreadful set of posts......seriously, if I was a tutor or lecturer or yours, and such a situation arose, I'd roast your miserable backside.

I can (just about) handle your casual disregard for a mysteriously missing room-mate, but your naked opportunistic greed is, to be candid, quite disgusting and rather nauseating.

I never once said you should try to get information from the school. I'm fairly certain that once you explain the situation to the school they will want to get in touch with his family. That should not be difficult to understand. Considering the value of the things he left behind it's possible that something has happened to him that makes it impossible for him to come and get his things.

Could be anything, dead, in jail or touring Europe on a bike. I guess I'm just the guy that will go to any possible length to have his family notified that he's diapered. Hey, they may turn around and say "Good we don't care". But under the circumstances I think it's the right thing to do. If he didn't leave any family contact info with teh landlord then the only other place is the school.

And again, I'm not telling you that you should try to get info from the school but rather give the info to the school. Tell them he has disappeared and left all his belongings behind. If they act responsibly they will contact his family.

Is it just me or does that sound like the logical thing to do?

No, it is not just you. It is what I think, also. Excellent and thoughtful post, by the way.

No, truly I've expected him to return at some point and wanted to offer to buy his bike off him. I would imagine he would let me since he's not used his in the 2-3 months he's been gone...

..but here we are.

As for this guy missing in particular, I'll call his family if the lease holder of this penthouse has that info... but further than that i'm fairly certain popping onto campus and explaining the situation won't do much. They won't give me any info and I'm sure no one one campus will call anyone. Or they may, who knows. It's not that big of a hassle to pop into admissions and ask..

But I'm fairly certain this guy ain't coming back. His stuff is here and am confident he dropped outta school. My best guess is he went back home, which all I know is about 20 miles away. Which assists in understanding why not one person has come looking for him. Anyways, thats speculation.

What a self-serving post. Why are you sure dropping into a campus office 'won't do much'? And how are you 'fairly certain' he isn't coming back, and 'confident' he dropped out of school? Really? You have evidence? Or are you just looking for excuses to take his stuff?

If this guys has such expensive stuff and only lives 20 miles away why would he not come back for it?

Yes, indeed.

Go to the police and file a missing persons report. Considering you have not done that yet is pretty sad.

You know he is missing. Good idea to file the report.

Absolutely, couldn't agree more.

.....they've assumed he just dropped out.. but doesn't explain his stuff still being here. I can only now wait for the guy in Africa to reply to me, but different time zones and all.

Oh, tosh. Utter tosh. Utter and total tosh. I'm amazed at how Twitter, FB and Skype make mincemeat of time zones and distance.....and yet, when ever so slightly inconveniencing to you, 'time zones' suddenly emerge as a salient and serious argument. Ridiculous.

Then contact a lawyer.

Yes. Exactly.

...Nearly every school has Student Legal Services, it's surely a better option than asking for opinions here.

They have and you should contact them and pay close heed to what they have to say.

It's not your stuff op plain and simple

If anyone has a claim to it, it's the landlord. Assuming the owner or family don't pick it up

At any rate contact the cops. Can't believe this hasn't been done yet

Amen to that. I couldn't agree more.

hell you should even have access to free ones threw your schools legal aid.

Yes. This is also true.

How do you know he's not going to class?

I have also asked this question.

^^^

While you and your roomies plot the distribution of this individuals belongings, he could have had an accident, a breakdown, be lying dead someplace anything could have happend.

I'd contact missing persons, he's been gone long enough for them to take it seriously.

And no, you can't just take his possessions either.

Another answer with which I'm in complete agreement.

Another vote to report him missing. You don't know anything about his family? His friends? Nobody just leaves these kind of things around.

True.

Very well expressed. Couldn't agree more.

That's how I read the thread. The fact is, the guy could very easily call the police who will find out who his roommate is and take action. The stuff is just stuff and I can't believe the OP is so insensitive to focus on stuff and not a human being.

This is my view, as well.

This. Call the police and let them track down his next of kin. What if he was killed or kidnapped? Or is lying in a hospital somewhere in a coma?

Exactly. The well-being of your missing roommate is more important than whether or not you get to keep his stuff. If you suddenly went missing for months, would you want your roommates to do nothing but eye your stuff instead of contacting the police to figure out what happened to you? :rolleyes:

And again, another excellent post, with the right priorities.

Sounds like the OP is trying to establish an alibi.

Did you have anything to do with this persons sudden disappearance?

Would explin why Police havent been contacted

Yes. A good question.

Seriously, OP, your conduct leaves a lot to be desired. Indifference to the possible fate of your absent room-mate is quite unpleasant, and most certainly not to be applauded, but the sheer naked greed all too evident in your posts is most unsettling. Not at all to your credit.

Go to the college authorities if you cannot or prefer not to, rent storage space. Go to the police if that doesn't appeal. Do not divide up his possessions. Do not cast longing eyes on them, either. Do not seek permission to do so from an anonymous internet forum - I'm certainly not about to sanction such disgraceful behaviour. They do not belong to you. You have no right to them. None.

Try to develop a little empathy, or sympathy. And maybe, just maybe, try to cultivate a slight sense of the responsibilities that come with being an adult - you know, that time of life when you are allowed to wield a gun, drive a car, (God forbid) vote, or cast a ballot, father a child, buy a drink......and seek to find out what may have happened to someone who may have been unfortunate to fall through the cracks in life before you divide up his possessions with a gleam of greed in your eye.

e²Studios

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2005
I forwarded the URL of this thread to a friend of mine that works for the LAPD. Will something be done or can they do anything with this information who knows, but at least its 1 step more than what the OP has done to find his roomate that could be in a roadside ditch for all he knows.

The OP should contact the LAPD if for anything else but to make a missing persons report. The OP's behavior in this thread is repulsive and scares me to think that this is the future of the USA's youth..

snberk103

macrumors 603
Oct 22, 2007
An Island in the Salish Sea
"Hey, uh... has anyone seen my stuff?!?!" I was, like, out at the bar and got a little wasted - and I met this cool dude with a BMW bike... and, well, we ended up in Cabo. Whoa.... was that great or what.... And then I got a job at a bar, 'cause they were all into, like -peace and love and existentionalism.... well, anyway... I just got back into town, and let me tell you it would have been a lot easier crossing the line if I had, like, remembered my passport... but luckily one of my friends in Cabo was coming across with a truck of cows, and he let me ride in the back... whoa!! smelly man! But anyway, I'm back now.... and when I come back to my apartment there's like this new dude in my room, and stuff is, like, in all the different rooms, and they were like 'Dude! How you been! We'd have been worried about you, but that would have been too much effort, and instead we decided we just wanted your stuff.... oops.... welcome back.... landlord says you owe him for a month or something...'"

wvuwhat

macrumors 65816
Sep 26, 2007
Seriously, you are are supposedly a college student. You've avoided every logical step to this situation. You like his bike and his T.V. (of which you said was already in your room), you obviously really like your roommate and actually care about him.

He could be studying abroad, family problems, dead, in jail, missing, or facing financial problems. Or, he could be well off and was willing to "give" you his material items just to never have to deal with you all again.

2 hours out of your life to report him as missing to the police or speak to the University to get answers, but no, you decided to just let it go and post on an online forum.

HappyDude20

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
Los Angeles, Ca
Seriously, you are are supposedly a college student. You've avoided every logical step to this situation. You like his bike and his T.V. (of which you said was already in your room), you obviously really like your roommate and actually care about him.

He could be studying abroad, family problems, dead, in jail, missing, or facing financial problems. Or, he could be well off and was willing to "give" you his material items just to never have to deal with you all again.

2 hours out of your life to report him as missing to the police or speak to the University to get answers, but no, you decided to just let it go and post on an online forum.

Quite true, and here we are. So, if he's made no effort to contact any of us then its his fault...but obviously assuming the worst or something bad has happened then its at the least best we try to locate and contact him. Which is what i've somewhat attempted to do. My roommates don't care about this at all, not even to the point of speaking or mentioning it or posting about it online, though admittedly this post is about how to score a bike, but the truth is I could care less about "his" bike considering I can go and purchase my own.

I"m sure those invested in this thread would like to hear the end result of all this, as would I... but as of tonight the landlord doesn't seem to care and the lease owner in Africa just doesn't reply, both of which are the only ones that (may) have this guy's contact info.

I'll keep you updated.

Truth is, if we never once met him we would all be possibly worried...but the fact that he walked in once with beers and weed, came in to grab his laptop and bounced, aside from both the lease owner and landlord telling us he "comes and goes" for weeks at a time made us assume he was just a college student that spends most of his time outside of his living complex.

I understand the majority of this thread is barking at me for it all, and to some extent I have to admit that it's not my problem or situation, but yet here we are. I'll do what I can in attempts to contact him or those close to him... but at this moment, I just don't know what will turn up in regards to who i'll be contacting.

Of course we all hope for his well being, and even 2+ months in I don't think anything bad happened to him, and that is speculation, but we all of us only met him once. We didn't know him, we just heard of him. The first few weeks I expected him to walk in at any moment, then week in I had girls over with the door unlocked thinking he would call or something. Then sometime in Sept. he walked in with beer and weed and a friend; spent no more than an hour at most on the balcony and left. I and the other roommates asked him questions, like what his major was, I asked him what his sleeping schedule was and rules/qualms re: having girls spend the night were... but he didn't seem invested in the conversation. He then left, without saying goodbye and that was it. Considering all of that, I assume he just went his way; which is what we all hope he did.. and hoping he isn't hurt in any manner.

I'll update the thread should any info arise.

Eldiablojoe

macrumors 6502a
Dec 4, 2009
West Koast
I forwarded the URL of this thread to a friend of mine that works for the LAPD. Will something be done or can they do anything with this information who knows, but at least its 1 step more than what the OP has done to find his roomate that could be in a roadside ditch for all he knows.

The OP should contact the LAPD if for anything else but to make a missing persons report. The OP's behavior in this thread is repulsive and scares me to think that this is the future of the USA's youth..
Which is just dandy, but without any official inquiry or report, his looking into it is a personal favor and not business related, so he cannot legally access certain databases (CLETS, Etc.) that might actually return with useful information. Of course, the very fact that there has not yet been posted any useful identifying information, like this guy's name or date of birth or anything at all unique or identifying will result in your LAPD friend doing and finding nothing at all at this point.

BigPrince

macrumors 68020
Dec 27, 2006
Which is just dandy, but without any official inquiry or report, his looking into it is a personal favor and not business related, so he cannot legally access certain databases (CLETS, Etc.) that might actually return with useful information. Of course, the very fact that there has not yet been posted any useful identifying information, like this guy's name or date of birth or anything at all unique or identifying will result in your LAPD friend doing and finding nothing at all at this point.

By design.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.