Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

riptide747

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 29, 2012
I realize the nature of this thread may be deemed blasphemous to the Apple community, however with the increasing amount of phones being output to the public as iPhone competition, (Android, Samsung, Windows Phone) I was wondering why there have not been any iPod Touch alternatives created by other companies. The specifications for said device would be, like the iPod Touch, a gaming mobile device without a data plan or cellular service. The only competition I can think of right now would be any tablets coming out (which are far too large for mobile use ie. in a pocket) or the Playstation Vita which is entirely focused on gaming and unfortunately was a complete and utter flop.

Thoughts?

-The magic word is "potato"

mohsy90

macrumors 65816
Feb 4, 2011
New York
There are tons of alternatives, except none match up to the iOS of the ipod touch. The ease of use with itunes and syncing using icloud between devices. These is what differentiates ipods from the rest of the junk out there.

apparition47

macrumors newbie
Nov 30, 2007
Canada
The Google Nexus 4 is a good alternative. It's a phone (unlocked) but it comes at pretty much the same price as the base iPod Touch. Slightly larger. Decent library of games in the Play store although not quite as many as the iTunes store.

TacticalDesire

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2012
Michigan
The Samsung galaxy player was designed to compete against the iPod. The later models crush the 4th gen touch but lag behind the 5th gen. They are considerably cheaper though. I'd get the 4.2 model.

RightToDream

macrumors newbie
Aug 30, 2012
Sony has now stepped in to take up that mantle with its Walkman Z1050, a neat-looking device with decent hardware.

raccoonboy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2012
Galaxy player is an alternative, they made them at 3.5, 4.2, 5.0 screen size and all of them can't compete. Mostly because of the Android os and the available apps. Not all of them compatible with the device even when it holds higher specs. Android is not as smooth as experience even with bigger screen plus the screen resolution is hideous, the battery weren't any better.

Sony released Walkman Z and Walkman F series running androids with dual core cpu, 1G of ram all superior to Ipod touch. Their selling point is the walkman sound quality because (as we all knew) ipod touch music experience is not worth mentioning. Still with the price 249-299 and 16G storage (although expandable), no one will buy just for sound quality but low resolution screen.

Thats why Ipod touch 5 has no competition out there and the price is whopping $299. :eek:

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
I would highly recommend buying a Samsung Galaxy S II. Walmart sells the SDS2 off-contract for use with T-Mobile prepaid for $299. No need to activate the phone. No strings attached.

16GB storage, 1GB RAM, support for microSD card, replaceable battery. Responsiveness is very smooth and the Super AMOLED screen is quite nice. This Black Friday 64GB microSD cards can be purchased for $50... a terrific addition.

I picked up a new Galaxy S II Skyrocket for $220. I planned on using it to replace my iPhone 4, but now I think I'm going to use it simply as an Android-based portable media player.

glsillygili

macrumors 6502
Dec 16, 2011
New York
There are tons of alternatives, except none match up to the iOS of the ipod touch. The ease of use with itunes and syncing using icloud between devices. These is what differentiates ipods from the rest of the junk out there.

so you love android? :D

raccoonboy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2012
I would highly recommend buying a Samsung Galaxy S II. Walmart sells the SDS2 off-contract for use with T-Mobile prepaid for $299. No need to activate the phone. No strings attached.

16GB storage, 1GB RAM, support for microSD card, replaceable battery. Responsiveness is very smooth and the Super AMOLED screen is quite nice. This Black Friday 64GB microSD cards can be purchased for $50... a terrific addition.

I picked up a new Galaxy S II Skyrocket for $220. I planned on using it to replace my iPhone 4, but now I think I'm going to use it simply as an Android-based portable media player.

Android basedportable media player is far from ready. First of all, music quality couldn't reach full potential. Apps and Games are not compatible or even running smooth. You can find same game running magic smooth on Touch 4 with 256 ram compare to full power android 1g ram laggy gaming performance.

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
Android basedportable media player is far from ready. First of all, music quality couldn't reach full potential. Apps and Games are not compatible or even running smooth. You can find same game running magic smooth on Touch 4 with 256 ram compare to full power android 1g ram laggy gaming performance.

You are free to have your own opinion, even if the facts don't support it. :)

InuNacho

macrumors 68000
Apr 24, 2008
In that one place

That is one of the main reasons why those people who go around posting specs of Droids vs iDevices don't really make much sense at all. The hardware may be better but if there aren't any apps around that can take advantage of it, who cares?

My buddy's phone may be better than my iPod but I'm the one playing Carmageddon, Crazy Taxi, and Secret of Monkey Island I/II.

touchipods

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2012
I did some research before getting a 4g touch some time ago. I already had a 1g touch when it was still in the market so I knew what the experience of a touch would be.

The only other alternative options at the time were Samsung Galaxy Player 4.0 and Sony Walkman Z series. Galaxy player 4.0 (4.2 is actually worse in some aspects such as specs) is most similar to touch in terms of features. However the cheap looking device and the fact that it receives no more software support and the ease of use using iTunes/Apple ecosystem with touch turned me off.

Walkman Z is the most capable device besides touch 4g except the fact it has no camera. As well as low battery life and iTunes preference are some disadvantages. Walkman Z has great audio quality (although touch 4g is very good with equalizer on or eq apps) so in terms of a mp3 player it does the job well. I actually was going to buy it but the store didn't have in stock so Sony lost my money.

The touch also has an advantage in terms of more 3rd party accessory support. Another player that is good as a music device (with barely any apps) is Microsoft Zune HD. Came out in 2009 (my requirement was a device made within 2 years) so a bit old but another option. In the end I'm happy with touch 4g except for Safari crashing-thus having to reload all my background apps.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.