Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lancer

macrumors 68020
Jul 22, 2002
Australia
I don't want iOS6 on my 3Gs, but ever since this update I keep getting asked if I want to update. Can I stop it as iOS6 didn't do this before.

tatonka

macrumors 6502
Aug 25, 2009
Podcast handling has been atrocious in iOS 6 almost seems entirely untested. The new dedicated app Apple offers is the worst piece of software I have seen in a really long time and I am amazed that it came from a company known for refining their stuff to the ninth.

iOS 6 in general was a really bad update and I must say that I am happy that Forstall got at least canned for it. Apple needs to get their **** together.

T.

PS: .. shout out for Pocket Casts .. now that is how Apple should have done their Podcast App!

everything-i

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2012
London, UK
Not sure how Android got in the comments - but shock horror - software has bugs! Wow just wow :-/

And Steve would have never of let this happen :more sarcasm:

Maybe sarcasm but the quality of software releases coming out of Apple has definitely dropped over the last couple of years and that needs to be reversed, fast. Apple need to regain the high ground in quality not just in their hardware but also software.

PaulMoore

macrumors regular
Dec 3, 2007
I guess that explains my AT&T bill last month.

I stream podcasts and SiriusXM radio regularly. I noticed last month I used over 3 GB of data streaming a 640 MB video podcast...
PS - I contacted AT&T but no luck on getting them to credit my unnecessary overages.

I had a similar issue when first using the Podcasts app after iOS6 came out... AT&T waived the data overages when I pointed out (via their live chat) that I had never exceeded my plan before- which is only 200MB and in the space of a week had used 4x that amount. Everyone should demand a refund especially if this is a known fault.

FYI I have since switched too, to Downcast. End of problem.

bfreecity

macrumors newbie
Jan 8, 2010
I'm...just done with it

I waited out several "fixes" to this, the MobileMe of Podcast apps, and it's still buggy and just awful on every level. I don't get how it can be this bad. I kept telling my friends "It'll get better. Just wait for the next update." But it now seems clear something's really wrong with this program (starting with the reel to reel affectation that reminds us of back when...podcasts...were played...on tape recorders...remember those days..?) The app stops playing podcasts for no reason, and then just moves down to the next podcast. It starts playing after I hang up the phone. It's UI is horrible -- especially the scrubber, which is impossible to control... And why do I have to lift up the album cover to be able to do basic things like fast forward? Downcast, here I come!

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
I think they were talking about podcasts.

If I misunderstood the post, I apologize. But the quote, I thought, was about the terrible burden of downloading a patch after having to download the upgrade.

Do I sense a tiny bit of sarcasm? :)

P.S. Your signature tells me how "you" feel about things, unfortunately Albert E. never said what you are quoting. Check my signature. ;)

Sarcasm?! ME!?

I did a fairly extensive search on the sig quote. While it was referenced in many places (certainly possibly incorrectly), you are probably correct that he never said it as no one could could definitively source the quote.

But I like the quote, and I endeavor to never let facts get in my way when it suits my purpose.:p:D

Last edited:

KittenMasher

macrumors newbie
Nov 15, 2012
very POOR

Speaking as an iPhone developer, I’m surprised that this application passed for approval. As in the early days it just did not work… I had an app turned down once because it crashed for an obscure reason.

I guess from the comments it’s still very POOR. Surly if Steve Jobs had still been alive it would have been pulled as it is an embarrassment to Apple. May be more of the same to follow…? No one at the top to kick arse anymore…

I downloaded iCatcher which is FAB

bobwill

macrumors newbie
Nov 5, 2007
Speaking as an iPhone developer, I’m surprised that this application passed for approval. As in the early days it just did not work… I had an app turned down once because it crashed for an obscure reason.

I guess from the comments it’s still very POOR. Surly if Steve Jobs had still been alive it would have been pulled as it is an embarrassment to Apple. May be more of the same to follow…? No one at the top to kick arse anymore…

I downloaded iCatcher which is FAB

Keep in mind, Apple had some bad products under Steve as well, in fact I believe that it would be fair to say that they were bad products simply because of Steve Jobs, as the two that come to mind (the Apple III, and the Cube) were bad products due to heat issues caused by Jobs not wanting the systems to have cooling fans.

So, while I would definitely argue that Steve Jobs was the driving force in making Apple into a tech leader, twice, he wasn't perfect and just because there's one really bad product does not establish a trend.

That said, I am personally very tempted to abandon my last hold out of apple tech, and get a Galaxy Note II, or SIII in lieu of the iPhone 5.

Personally, I can't help but feel that Steve Jobs would have been happy with the directions (including missteps like the Final Cut Pro X debacle) that Apple is taking.

elmo0629

macrumors member
Sep 11, 2012
Dallas, TX
I think the most troubling part is not knowing which apps are impacted. Though I agree with everyone suggested alternative podcast apps the article does state "The audio streams that are being pulled down by iOS 6 through a variety of apps including Apple's Podcasts..." I know for me personally SiriusXM seemed to be effected, but what else is?

Archer1440

Suspended
Mar 10, 2012
USA
Yes indeed, over and over again.

I used 7gb of data last month between this and Match. Glad I have unlimited.

conigs

macrumors newbie
Sep 12, 2006
Me too

Just wanted to add my voice that this happened to me to shortly after I upgraded to my iPhone 5. Loaded up a Radiolab podcast and went for an early morning walk. about 10 minutes after I left the house, I started getting inundated with notices from AT&T about hitting 90%, then going over, then 60%, then 90%, then going over again, then another 60% on my way into work. (I'm on a 300MB plan.)
At first I thought it was data reports catching up from traveling over the previous weekend, but then I thought there might be some kind of error to get all those so quickly. Then I restarted my phone just to be safe. I called AT&T as soon as I got into work. Turns out I was at almost 1GB of usage, just from that morning. After looking at my previous usage, they agreed something was strange. They upgraded me to the 3GB plan and backdated it to cover the overages. So it only cost me an extra $10 that month instead of $40.

Glad to know I wasn't crazy and it was the podcast app. I think it's interesting that this was a bug in AV Foundation and not the podcast app specifically. I wonder how else the bug might have manifested?

cmichaelb

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2008
Italy
Just wanted to add my voice that this happened to me to shortly after I upgraded to my iPhone 5. Loaded up a Radiolab podcast and went for an early morning walk. about 10 minutes after I left the house, I started getting inundated with notices from AT&T about hitting 90%, then going over, then 60%, then 90%, then going over again, then another 60% on my way into work. (I'm on a 300MB plan.)
At first I thought it was data reports catching up from traveling over the previous weekend, but then I thought there might be some kind of error to get all those so quickly. Then I restarted my phone just to be safe. I called AT&T as soon as I got into work. Turns out I was at almost 1GB of usage, just from that morning. After looking at my previous usage, they agreed something was strange. They upgraded me to the 3GB plan and backdated it to cover the overages. So it only cost me an extra $10 that month instead of $40.

Glad to know I wasn't crazy and it was the podcast app. I think it's interesting that this was a bug in AV Foundation and not the podcast app specifically. I wonder how else the bug might have manifested?

From what I hear this bug still is present. and was not fully corrected with 6.0.1.

I use Instacast.

mdelvecchio

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2010
this was exactly the problem i reported to Apple -- my iphone5 was consuming insane amounts of data when listening to a 60mb podcast. both AT&T and two levels of Apple support kept saying: "It's LTE! LTE consumers more data! Durr!!"

no. a 60mb podcast should consume....60mb. you just get it faster over LTE.

glad its been resolved.

chadsteruw

macrumors member
Jul 14, 2007
Seattle, WA
Got my overages credited back to me

I have a 6GB Mobile Share plan, I got hit with $100 worth of overages halfway through my monthly billing cycle. I quickly figured out it was the Podcast app, when I had set up a bunch of podcasts to download before a trip I was making. When I got to the airport, I started getting text after text of my overages. I deleted the app and even turned off my data for most of my trip, unfortunately.

Today, I contacted AT&T (via their web chat service), explained the situation and they were able to credit me back the overages. Very grateful since I was going to just absorb the cost, but saw it was a bigger issue and other people had success in getting some money back. In my 5 years with AT&T I have NEVER gone over my data plan (or mins for that matter), so I was glad they were able to do this for me.

andrewlgm

macrumors 6502
Feb 16, 2011
NYC
I absolutely hate ios6. Updated by mistake on my iPad 3, but not on my iPhone 4 precisely because I wanted podcasts to be included in the music app. Well, automatic downloading was ON and once the app was installed on the iPad, it was also installed on the iphone. Now every time I download a podcast via iTunes on the phone, it does not show up anywhere. Even even if I uninstall the Podcast app, download of podcasts do not save on the music app on ios5. So I have to download from within the podcast app in ios5 to make use of podcasts, but the app is just HORRID.

Don't fix what is not broken apple. Now all that I'm holding on to in ios5 is Google maps.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.