Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple may not begin shipping the new iMac until early 2013, according to the French site MacBidouille [Google Translate]. When the new lighter, thinner iMac was introduced three weeks ago, Apple said the 21.5" model would ship by the end of November, with the 27" model shipping by year-end.

newimac.jpg
The new iMac uses some advanced welding techniques as well as a new manufacturing process for the LCD screen that was rumored to delay the introduction of the iMac. Apple has run into difficulties ramping up production on its more recent product launches as the company pushes the envelope on what is physically possible.

During Apple's most recent earnings call, Tim Cook talked briefly about the constraints the company faces during the all-important holiday quarter:
In terms of general shortages on the iMac, we'll be constrained for the full quarter in a significant way, part of that is that we're beginning shipping the 21.5-inch iMac in November and the 27-inch in December. And so there will be a short amount of time during the quarter to manufacture and ramp those and I expect the demand to be robust. So we will have a significant shortage there.

Article Link: New iMac Deliveries to Be Delayed Until Early Next Year?

MrXiro

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2007
Los Angeles
Ouch... gonna hurt their holiday season.

I'm waiting on a new Thunderbolt Display for my rocking new Mac Mini!

hbt15

macrumors member
Dec 6, 2007
So it's going to be 6 months out of spec before it even hits shelves.

Awesome.

Win for Tim.

shartypants

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2010
I don't think I would want to buy one in that first lot to ship. I think I would wait until they got some of the kinks worked out.

Kirk

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2004
Norway
Wow! If true, that is pretty lame. Going into the holidays without an iMac for sale (old or new), and a totally outdated MacPro. Some heads are gonna role...

Rockondevil

macrumors member
Aug 25, 2012
Been waiting a ridiculous time for this iMac already and it wouldn't be so bad except for the fact that if they didn't make a desktop thinner it could be out already.

The hardware is already aging and a delay won't help increase sales, that's for sure.

iVoid

macrumors 65816
Jan 9, 2007
I don't understand why desktop Macs should be thinner? :confused:

Because thinner is better!

Or something like that.

I still chuckle at how careful the photos of the new iMac are to avoid that it's only thin at the edge. There's a ugly bulge on the back that kind of makes the idea that this is a thin computer silly.

If they really wanted the display to be thin, then put the computer into the stand and just let the thin screen float in air. Like the old swing arm lamp iMac. :)

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
[url=http://cdn.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png]Image[/url]

Apple may not begin shipping the new iMac until early 2013, according to the French site MacBidouille [Google Translate]. When the new lighter, thinner iMac was introduced three weeks ago, Apple said the 21.5" model would ship by the end of November, with the 27" model shipping by year-end.

The new iMac uses some advanced welding techniques as well as a new manufacturing process for the LCD screen that was rumored to delay the introduction of the iMac. Apple has run into difficulties ramping up production on its more recent product launches as the company pushes the envelope on what is physically possible.

During Apple's most recent earnings call, Tim Cook talked briefly about the constraints the company faces during the all-important holiday quarter:

Article Link: New iMac Deliveries to Be Delayed Until Early Next Year?
Epic Fail if true. :eek:

smulji

macrumors 68030
Feb 21, 2011
Been waiting a ridiculous time for this iMac already and it wouldn't be so bad except for the fact that if they didn't make a desktop thinner it could be out already.

The hardware is already aging and a delay won't help increase sales, that's for sure.

Why is the hardware aging? Intel's next-gen Haswell processors aren't gonna be out till the summer. This is still very good hardware.

David085

macrumors 6502a
Nov 9, 2009
This delay will give me time to start saving, I haven't start yet and won't get it when it firsts come out in 2013... Depending how much I save up by than.

But hearing about the delay how much longer ppl without iMac's will hurt Apple how sad.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.