Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

WhoDaKat

macrumors 6502
May 20, 2006
Might as well go ahead and put a Retina screen on them... since we have to wait anyway.

iSayuSay

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2011
Why is the hardware aging? Intel's next-gen Haswell processors aren't gonna be out till the summer. This is still very good hardware.

For the next few months .. Yes
Oh yes and we still pay a full retail price for this barely up-to-date machine :rolleyes:

Lancer

macrumors 68020
Jul 22, 2002
Australia
I don't understand why desktop Macs should be thinner? :confused:

Because they're cool ;)

The Apple retailers must be hurting, no iMac's apart from the ones in stock to sell over the holidays. The Mini is looking more tempting every day! Get it then wait for the 2015 iMac when the Apple care is about to run out :)

BTW I really hate how they are calling it an 'all new' design, it's like when Porsche comes out with a 'new' 911. Yes the iMac is thinner, lighter and faster and on the inside things are different but visually from the front little has changed. Just like the latest 911.

David085

macrumors 6502a
Nov 9, 2009
Might as well go ahead and put a Retina screen on them... since we have to wait anyway.

I totally agree with you there they should add a Retina Display version like they did with the MBP's for theses that been waiting for a Retina iMac the longest time Apple is slow.

maxwelltech

macrumors 6502
Dec 29, 2011
Irvine, CA, USA
This thing does not even have a retina display, why does it take such a long time to manufacture?

Next year:"We are going to introduce a revolutionary iMac with this amazing retina display.":D

koban4max

macrumors 68000
Aug 23, 2011
Geez, Apple! GRRR. You guys need to get your act together. Shortage? WTH? It's time to send Tim back to COO position. We need visionary and a real leadership to run this company. I have a feeling the board members are VERY DISPLEASED with how the Tim had been running the company.

lostngone

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2003
Anchorage
Leave tim alone!

See what you have done!

All Tim wanted to do is release a product at a keynote that the rumors sites hadn't already leaked and was drooled on by thousands of people.

Tim had to rush the announcement before it got leaked and now few time tables have slipped and now the product is going to be late to market.

Not to mention the poor Foxconn workers are going to have to work triple unpaid overtime just to make up for the delay.

SeattleMoose

macrumors 68000
Jul 17, 2009
Der Wald
Real reason....Samsung told Apple their iMac parts will not be available until "later". This war between two tech titans will end badly for everyone involved...

mohsy90

macrumors 65816
Feb 4, 2011
New York
What a complete failure, compromising performance and usability for thinness. Can't wait to carry my iMac around, its gonna be so thin! :rolleyes:

Kirk

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2004
Norway
Geez, Apple! GRRR. You guys need to get your act together. Shortage? WTH? It's time to send Tim back to COO position. We need visionary and a real leadership to run this company. I have a feeling the board members are VERY DISPLEASED with how the Tim had been running the company.

Give it a couple of years and prepare for the second coming of Scott Forstall to save the day.

jashic

macrumors member
Oct 9, 2006
well, maybe they should put the older imacs back in the store. It's a better design anyways. Never understood why you need a superthin imac. In reality, isn't even that thin. It's just thin at the edges. In the middle, it has a huge bulge like its pregnant. It's thin if you place it on your desk and stare at it at exactly a 78 degree angle.

lol.

What a complete disaster.

Apple maps that can't map properly, Siri that makes mistakes 50% of the time, iPhone 5 that has limited production, iPad mini that has lower resolution than SMALLER Android tablets, An iMac that's kinda "fake" thin and an iMac that isn't available before the holidays....and of course a Mac Pro lineup that's slower than a Mac mini. Oh, don't forget iOS 6 that basically providing nothing new. We all should re-install iLife 2011 as we enter into 2013. Maybe that'll make us feel better.

Last edited:

jashic

macrumors member
Oct 9, 2006
What a complete failure, compromising performance and usability for thinness. Can't wait to carry my iMac around, its gonna be so thin! :rolleyes:

That's next year. A 27" iMac Air. It's so thin that you can't use a usb keyboard. you'll have to use the onscreen keyboard. Physical keyboards are soooo PC. We don't need them.

emaja

macrumors 68000
May 3, 2005
Chicago, IL
Ok. So thinner body but same low rez fuzz screen. What is the point of these iMacs?

Can someone answer why in the world they would upgrade from existing iMac??

Tim?

Besides quad cores all around, better graphics, USB 3, and Fusion Drive - yeah, why would you upgrade?

:cool:

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
For the next few months .. Yes
Oh yes and we still pay a full retail price for this barely up-to-date machine :rolleyes:

"Announce first, ship later"? It's Microsoft's style! Even for the (white) iPhone 4's epic delay at least we could buy the black version...!

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
well, maybe they should put the older imacs back in the store. It's a better design anyways. Never understood why you need a superthin imac. In reality, isn't even that thin. It's just thin at the edges. In the middle, it has a huge bulge like its pregnant. It's thin if you place it on your desk and stare at it at exactly a 78 degree angle.

lol.

What a complete disaster.

Apple maps that can't map properly, Siri that makes mistakes 50% of the time, iPhone 5 that has limited production, iPad mini that has lower resolution than SMALLER Android tablets, An iMac that's kinda "fake" thin and an iMac that isn't available before the holidays making the current version 2 years old....and of course a Mac Pro lineup where the Macbook Airs are almost faster. Oh, don't forget iOS 6 that basically providing nothing new. We all should re-install iLife 2011 as we enter into 2013. Maybe that'll make us feel better.

They should've gone the Retina MBP route - to release the new thing with new design and radical-everything, but also update and ship the existing models first so that anyone who want to buy a regular MBP will not fill up the limited amount of all new rMBP.

Epic fail Apple. Too many in 2012.

L3g4to

macrumors newbie
Oct 24, 2012
omg you gotta be kidding me, first the long update, now they presented it but we have still wait for it? getting really tired of this **** apple, you are not making friends...

xVeinx

macrumors 6502
Oct 9, 2006
California
So Apple takes the unusual step of introducing a series of products one after the other, introducing products earlier than the normal cycle, and pushing out a variety of updates. Albeit before the holidays, it's not a common occurrence. In fact, it's almost as if they are clearing room to introduce some new products ;). I don't think "the board" is upset with Tim at all. They understand the inherent issues with this collections of introductions, but the dividends come later.

ryedarrow

macrumors member
Jun 30, 2012
Ouch... gonna hurt their holiday season.

I'm waiting on a new Thunderbolt Display for my rocking new Mac Mini!

+1 LOVE my new quad core mini with fusion drive. HD4000 has performed significantly better than I was hoping. Upgrade to 16GB of RAM on Amazon for $70. Yes Please.

I'm running FCP X (along with everything else open) and haven't skipped a beat!

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
So it's going to be 6 months out of spec before it even hits shelves.

Awesome.

Win for Tim.

It feels that way, but I wasn't expecting them to rush something out the second ivy hit. If anything, look at this as easy motivation to skip a first generation product. Just don't expect a Haswell version to show up within 6 months. I think they'll ride it out until the fall. The last thing I recall suggested next generation panel resolution around 2014. That may be a logical time to expect a resolution bump.

Ok. So thinner body but same low rez fuzz screen. What is the point of these iMacs?

Can someone answer why in the world they would upgrade from existing iMac??

Tim?

I don't get the "fuzz" screen description. I've used the ipads. The sharpness is great, but at the appropriate viewing distance, do these really bother you? I could see it with some of the ancient notebooks with gigantic pixels, but modern hardware isn't really tough on the eyes. There's also no good reason to feel like the thing should warrant annual upgrades. While some people may do this, it's an atypical cycle.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.