Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

yauzers619

macrumors member
May 22, 2011
I don't understand why desktop Macs should be thinner? :confused:

It's because if everyone shared your train of thought we would still be using computers the size of warehouses or Zack Morris sized cell phones.

Change is constant. Embrace it or be left behind.

NOV

macrumors 6502
Mar 27, 2004
The Netherlands
So Apple takes the unusual step of introducing a series of products one after the other, introducing products earlier than the normal cycle, and pushing out a variety of updates. Albeit before the holidays, it's not a common occurrence. In fact, it's almost as if they are clearing room to introduce some new products ;). I don't think "the board" is upset with Tim at all. They understand the inherent issues with this collections of introductions, but the dividends come later.

Trust me, Tim's Apple carreer is almost over.

NOV

macrumors 6502
Mar 27, 2004
The Netherlands
It's because if everyone shared your train of thought we would still be using computers the size of warehouses or Zack Morris sized cell phones.

'Thinner' usually comes with lots compromise (like the inaccessibility of and/or inability to change components) and therefor making the original idea of the iMac (and desktop computers in general) obsolete and the question justified.

MacDouble

macrumors member
Sep 24, 2012
Nice can't buy the new one until perhaps sometimes next year and can't buy the old one. Awesome Apple! And if it comes out in February you get the new iMac with old hardware.

And the Buyer's Guide is a ********** joke! "Buy now!" ololol

:mad:

cathul

macrumors member
May 5, 2008
If it goes this route for the next few years we'll maybe come to the point where the iMacs are like "The emperor's new clothes" (Hans Christian Andersen).

An iMac so thin, that you can even grab through him without destroying him and you don't even see it when it's on your desk. And all for only 5.000,-- $.

kockgunner

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2007
Vancouver, Canada
I was worried about the iMacs since laminating such a large screen seems really difficult considering two of my iPhone 5's have had dust underneath the glass. It turns out that was the least of their worries. Go figure.

I don't know why Apple is trying all these new processes for their products. The iPhone 5 anodization seems to be wearing off prematurely for some, and then this new fission welding process for the iMac just to make it thinner. It's nice to push boundaries, but the process should be ready before mass production. Apple's hardware have traditionally been about getting out of the way, but now these hardware problems detract from that.

Consumers don't care how a product is made, they just care about the final product. Apple is no longer a small company and these things will really shine a negative light no matter how much good will they have. Competition is heating up and competitors realize Apple have been doing things right and do the same. Many consumers don't care about the same things Apple cares about and think other products are "good enough" or better.

koban4max

macrumors 68000
Aug 23, 2011
See what you have done!

All Tim wanted to do is release a product at a keynote that the rumors sites hadn't already leaked and was drooled on by thousands of people.

Tim had to rush the announcement before it got leaked and now few time tables have slipped and now the product is going to be late to market.

Not to mention the poor Foxconn workers are going to have to work triple unpaid overtime just to make up for the delay.

I don't know about you, but this old Alzheimer's just don't seem to get why many people were dissatisfied as of late apple era. I SERIOUSLY don't know why Steve chose this guy to be the future CEO other than knowing how to run the operation. I'm sorry, but the board members will eventually have a nice little chatty chat with him. The hell is up with "slim jim" products. The products are nothing but specs. The slim version of this imac is cool...but how much slimmer are they gonna get? They are so slim that Jenny Craig and Richard Simmon had to close down their business.

Canadian Bacon

macrumors regular
Nov 27, 2007
On the Baltic Sea
Because thinner is better!

If they really wanted the display to be thin, then put the computer into the stand and just let the thin screen float in air. Like the old swing arm lamp iMac. :)

...like using some welding magic to mount the iMac display on top of a mac mini. I could also say headless iMac, but I won't hold my breath.

koban4max

macrumors 68000
Aug 23, 2011
What a complete failure, compromising performance and usability for thinness. Can't wait to carry my iMac around, its gonna be so thin! :rolleyes:

Next thing we know..it's gonna be thinner than dust. Seriously, I'm thinking they are sacrificing performance for a nice look thin-like pizza crust and display to the world that it's the next best thing. Eventually, when we put iPad 9 down on the table, it will seriously crack. I'm questioning Johnny Ivy about the iOS7 or new UI. He's probably gonna make it look "slimmer."

iMcLovin

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2009
I'm fine with the delay as long as they let us order it this year. I'm in no hurry but I need to able to order it on this years account for tax saving.

tech4all

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2004
NorCal
Never!! You should abandon all hope of ever getting a new computer...ever. An abacus this year for Christmas! CURSE YOU APPLE!!!!![

WTF man, seriously, chill the heck out. Are you 12?

Follow your own advice.

well, maybe they should put the older imacs back in the store. It's a better design anyways. Never understood why you need a superthin imac. In reality, isn't even that thin. It's just thin at the edges. In the middle, it has a huge bulge like its pregnant. It's thin if you place it on your desk and stare at it at exactly a 78 degree angle.

lol.

What a complete disaster.

Apple maps that can't map properly, Siri that makes mistakes 50% of the time, iPhone 5 that has limited production, iPad mini that has lower resolution than SMALLER Android tablets, An iMac that's kinda "fake" thin and an iMac that isn't available before the holidays....and of course a Mac Pro lineup that's slower than a Mac mini. Oh, don't forget iOS 6 that basically providing nothing new. We all should re-install iLife 2011 as we enter into 2013. Maybe that'll make us feel better.

Hate to admit but this is true.

Pretty sure you knew what he meant. :rolleyes:

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010

Referencing saved by the bell doesn't make you appear credible. You also knew what he meant. Thinning something out makes a difference when you gain something from it. The bulge still exists in the back. The overall footprint of the device hasn't changed. There is really no functional change. The desk space required is still the same. It doesn't allow for new positioning. It's still too large to conveniently transport.

mohsy90

macrumors 65816
Feb 4, 2011
New York
Referencing saved by the bell doesn't make you appear credible. You also knew what he meant. Thinning something out makes a difference when you gain something from it. The bulge still exists in the back. The overall footprint of the device hasn't changed. There is really no functional change. The desk space required is still the same. It doesn't allow for new positioning. It's still too large to conveniently transport.

Exactly! The new design is deceiving from the picture angles that Apple is marketing. It fools buyers into thinking its thinner, but in reality its the same depth at its center, only thinner at the edge. Absolutely no benefit at all. Instead its a trade off. A foolish design at the loss of an optical drive.

that1guyy

macrumors 6502
Nov 11, 2011
Great example of why I'm done with Apple.

Well, you're a new member who just registered on an Apple oriented website, saying he's done with Apple? *resists patronizing*

On the other hand, your username is my favorite band, so it evens out.

iMcLovin

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2009
I think blaming Tim cook for doing his job poorly is stupid though. This proves in my opinion that apple hasn't changed since jobs died. Tim still believes in pushing the envelope as far as possible and sometimes it creates problems nearly impossible to solve. But they will find a way eventually. If they would end up making simpler solutions to make their life easier, THEN it would be time to worry for apples future.

dennno

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2011
So it's going to be 6 months out of spec before it even hits shelves.

Awesome.

Win for Tim.

Why do people always have to complain about something? If there are alternatives with better specs by that time, why not just get that? No one is forcing you to get an "out of spec" computer.

These days even an out of spec computer from a few years ago is perfectly capable of handling most user tasks.

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
Exactly! The new design is deceiving from the picture angles that Apple is marketing. It fools buyers into thinking its thinner, but in reality its the same depth at its center, only thinner at the edge. Absolutely no benefit at all. Instead its a trade off. A foolish design at the loss of an optical drive.

I didn't want to bring up debates over the optical drive. It's a loss for anyone who used it regularly, although I didn't personally. My issue is really that I like designs that concentrate on improving functionality. I wasn't just talking about the bulge in the back. The foot is still the same. It also continues to lack adjustable height unless you attach an ergotron arm (apple store reviews suggest a less than perfect fit). It seemed to me like they just couldn't think of a good way to further differentiate the machine. The facebook and email crowd that is often touted as the average user on here is more likely to go for an Air. If you look at the apartment of someone in their 20s, you aren't as likely to see dedicated computer furniture. I have to wonder how many customers will be influenced by the new design here when you specifically consider those who might still be attracted to stationary form factors. I think they need to come up with something more than mildly tacky aesthetics. It looks cool when it provides function. The notebooks gained a sense of effortless portability. You can pick them up with one hand as you head for the door. I don't see thinness as something that desktops must design around. It's more like something that should be evolutionary due to shrinking components.

dennno

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2011

Here we go again with the optical drive argument. Move on already it's 2012! Retailers are barely selling CDs (a majority of them are cutting it out of their inventories), all major software companies offer software installations, drivers, updates etc. over the internet. There's NO excuse.

Here are a few others that you may not know:
1. Cloud storage for photos or facebook. Stop using the "I have to burn a CD for a friend/family". Use email. Don't use slow internet speeds as an excuse. Even third world countries have broadband internet.

2. Cars have an audio jack for your iPhone: why bother trying to switch between 5-10 CDs to find a song you want?

3. Backup: there are a lot of VERY CHEAP professional backup facilities online that you can use that's FAR MORE foolproof than any backup to a CD/DVD that you do yourself. I'm talking fireproof buildings. Offsite mirrored servers, biometric buildings etc. etc. Compare that to a the security of a general user's CD case.

4: If you're too cheap to afford that use a UNIVERSAL serial bus (USB) device. The hint is the word universal, it can be used on virtually any hardware today and is far easier to carry, less prone to damage etc.

5. Blu-ray movies: Why? Blu-ray is limited to specific players whereas you can download a digital version on iTunes which you can play on ANY computer, laptop, iPhone/iPad etc. etc. It's also cheaper, does not break or scratched by little kids, is weightless and can be redownloadble when you get a new computer.

There's no advantage to using CDs except for maybe the nostalgia of using it. It is inferior to technology offerings available today.

Last edited:

Rockondevil

macrumors member
Aug 25, 2012
Why do people always have to complain about something? If there are alternatives with better specs by that time, why not just get that? No one is forcing you to get an "out of spec" computer.

These days even an out of spec computer from a few years ago is perfectly capable of handling most user tasks.

It's about value for money also mate. It's not like the prices are going down while the hardware gets older. At least not until the next refresh.
At least I'm pretty sure that's why. It's why I'd rather it sooner than later.

Here we go again with the optical drive argument. Move on already it's 2012! Retailers are barely selling CDs (a majority of them are cutting it out of their inventories), all major software companies offer software installations, drivers, updates etc. over the internet. There's NO excuse.

Exactly there is no excuse. Optical drives are still highly used so why remove it for the sake of 10-20mm thickness on a desktop?
What do you think is after discs? 4K needs to go on something and downloading that isn't practical.
Also blu-ray quality is vastly superior to anything you can stream.

SgtPepper12

macrumors 6502a
Feb 1, 2011
Germany
Apple maps that can't map properly, Siri that makes mistakes 50% of the time, iPhone 5 that has limited production, iPad mini that has lower resolution than SMALLER Android tablets, An iMac that's kinda "fake" thin and an iMac that isn't available before the holidays....and of course a Mac Pro lineup that's slower than a Mac mini. Oh, don't forget iOS 6 that basically providing nothing new. We all should re-install iLife 2011 as we enter into 2013. Maybe that'll make us feel better.
True. I bought my first iPhone this year, and I think it's going to be the last. Apple doesn't know where it's headed anymore and if nothing changes drastically next year, I'll have to think twice about my next buying decisions.
I'm really hoping the latest change in Apple's structure will bring some improvements.

cmchsmjm

macrumors newbie
Mar 9, 2011
Impossible ti buy an iMac

What really hack's me off is that Apple has removed the current iMac from their online store so it's incredible difficult to even buy ANY iMac let alone one with the BTO options.

There must be a ton of stock out there sitting on shelves in a warehouse.

I spoke to a sales person at my local Apple store who told me that as soon as the new machines were announced the order went out that no current iMacs could be sold!! WTF!

I'm stuck with a maxed out 6 year old MacPro and no real upgrade path at the moment.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.