Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Grolubao

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 23, 2008
London, UK
I see so many people here that return 3-7 iPhones because of Scuffs, light leakage all out of the box.

How is apply making money if they need to open several iPhones to get one that is actually in a pristine condition?

Don't get me wrong, if I would pay such an amount of money for a device I would want it pristine, no scratches or defects that's for sure...

fins831

macrumors 6502a
Oct 7, 2011
well they have over 100billion in cash on hand....I would guess they sleep with their piles of cash like in the show DuckTales with the vault and diving board and all.

tymaster50

Suspended
Oct 3, 2012
Oregon
I see so many people here that return 3-7 iPhones because of Scuffs, light leakage all out of the box.

How is apply making money if they need to open several iPhones to get one that is actually in a pristine condition?

Don't get me wrong, if I would pay such an amount of money for a device I would want it pristine, no scratches or defects that's for sure...

they give them replacement white box phones. They aren't actually getting a brand new phone. Well technically they are but still. And they don't really need any money. $188 dollars to them is like a twizzler wrapper to us. Useless.

Compile 'em all

macrumors 601
Apr 6, 2005

People who get their phones in perfect condition won't post on these forums. I think by now Apple has already fixed the scuffs TB issues.

Deasnutz

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2011
How many have you counted...25? 50? This site is probably a skewed sample pool as well.

eastercat

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2008
PDX
Do you really think mr is representative of the iphone buying populace at large?
Unless we see statistics, it's probable that the number of returns is no larger than that of any other cell phone maker. I imagine all these companies account for a percentage of returns.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
Do you really think mr is representative of the iphone buying populace at large?
Unless we see statistics, it's probable that the number of returns is no larger than that of any other cell phone maker. I imagine all these companies account for a percentage of returns.

Exactly.
There's always OCD folks that replace dozens of iPhones till they find the so called perfect iPhone.
Those are a very small percentage of consumers.
For every few threads you read here about tiny scufs, light leak, yellow screens or other imperfections one finds there's thousands of satisfied customers with no probs that don't post and whine.
They just enjoy their phones.

itjw

macrumors 65816
Dec 20, 2011
If you'd believe the few people here still silly enough to believe white boxes aren't refurbs, I guess you'd have to surmise all the returns just magically dissapear...

One of my colleagues represents an Apple store manager where I live. I know both store managers in my area. They are sent back and quickly refurbed.

99% of white boxes are now refurbs. There have been plenty of returns, and now plenty of warranty swaps for various things. There has been plenty of time for the most popular phone on the planet to build refurb inventory, scuffgate or not lol...

So returned phones (especially ones with only teeny tiny cosmetic imperfections) are on the refurb train! No biggie :)

AAPLinc

macrumors 65816
Jul 27, 2012
Hollywood, CA
The returned phones get a quick wipe down then put back in a white box.

My "white box" 4S that I just got in exchange for my 10 month old 4S (hardware issue) is brand new.

Checked the serial, was assembled September 2012 in China.

They don't wipe the phone and then give it to someone else. If that were the case then my new white box 4S would have marks in the charging port from the previous owner plugging their phone in. Or there would be SOME SORT of physical damage or indication that the phone was used.

They do have refurbished phones, no doubt. But I don't think that you will ALWAYS get a refurb if you swap.

FYI, the reason why they have iPhones in white boxes ready to swap is because the white boxed iPhones don't come with the cord, charge cube, or earphones. Apple would rather not take back used earphones and charging cords (owner keeps originals), so they have supplies of brand new iPhones WITHOUT included accessories. Make sense?

Getting a refurb is perfectly fine though. If anything refurbs are less likely to have defects because they have been fixed and pretty much stripped and given new parts.

And to answer the OPs question. Do you realize how many companies deal with loss? How many people return products every single day? It's a part of business. I think Apple is well off enough to handle it.

Cancelled
Jun 21, 2010
They send them back, refurb them, and send em out again.

Apple moves millions of these phones a week. A couple thousand being returned weekly isn't a big deal to them.

IanGahagan

macrumors member
Jun 11, 2012
Montana
Before my phone showed up I decided that if it did show up scratched I would return it... Well my phone showed up with 2 very small scratches on the chamfered edge but the phone is so beautiful and such an improvement over my iPhone 4 that I decided to hold on to it. 9/10 people won't return their phone over something minor like what I have and quite frankly your phone will get minor scratches as time goes on. Apple has enough money to give people replacements until their happy for unsatisfied customers though.

bushman4

macrumors 601
Mar 22, 2011
Losing on a imperfect Iphone is nothing compared to keeping a customer happy according to Apple.
Wish every company had to ideology.

Grolubao

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 23, 2008
London, UK
Sometimes I don't understand, because if I would go and buy a TV and receive it with a scratch it would be returned immediately. Why being content with something other than perfect since you are actually not buying a second hand equipment? Is this Apple brainwash?

Myiphone7

macrumors 6502a
Nov 18, 2010
Well my iPhone 5 came out with a ding and scratch under the antenna.

Hardly a scratch just missed a dot of paint.

I don't care doesn't bother me.

Although I DO agree for a $700 phone it should be perfect. So if you are bothered change it.

Personally, I'm just glad no wifi issues or anything else of the sort.

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
Apple didn't foot the bill it comes out of foxconns profit margin. There the device makers and that's where the fault/blame falls

stonyboys

macrumors 6502
Oct 16, 2012
Sometimes I don't understand, because if I would go and buy a TV and receive it with a scratch it would be returned immediately. Why being content with something other than perfect since you are actually not buying a second hand equipment? Is this Apple brainwash?

Is your TV expected to get scratches? No, it's expected to stay in perfect untouched condition up on its bracket with no one coming within 1 foot of it, ever. That's why pristine quality in that case would bother me so much, because I know there's absolutely no chance that I'd do that to it myself.

With a phone it's completely different, it's being handled and moved 90%+ of the day and it's virtually impossible to keep it scratchless. That's why I didn't mind that some paint near the antenna was missing on mine. Because a few weeks later, and already there's nicks and scratches on the edge caused by normal everyday use. This is why I personally didn't waste my time chasing for a replacement.

macingman

macrumors 68020
Jan 2, 2011
Seriously. The average iphone user wouldnt know the difference anyway. We're just a bunch of picky nerds on this forum.

Yeh, I was checking out my grandmas new iPhone and noticed some chips on the side. She didn't even notice until I told her.

Gutwrench

Suspended
Jan 2, 2011
The return and warranty policy at stores in America is beyond belief. I can buy nearly anything and return it for a refund without cause. Try this in many other countries and see where it gets you.

Kudos Apple and other businesses.

washburn

macrumors 6502a
Apr 8, 2010
If you'd believe the few people here still silly enough to believe white boxes aren't refurbs, I guess you'd have to surmise all the returns just magically dissapear...

One of my colleagues represents an Apple store manager where I live. I know both store managers in my area. They are sent back and quickly refurbed.

99% of white boxes are now refurbs. There have been plenty of returns, and now plenty of warranty swaps for various things. There has been plenty of time for the most popular phone on the planet to build refurb inventory, scuffgate or not lol...

So returned phones (especially ones with only teeny tiny cosmetic imperfections) are on the refurb train! No biggie :)

how is it a refurb?

if someone returns a brand new severely faulty phone does Apple just simply repackage the phone and use it as a refurb? sounds like bs to me

BFizzzle

macrumors 68020
May 31, 2010
Austin TX
Exactly.
There's always OCD folks that replace dozens of iPhones till they find the so called perfect iPhone.
Those are a very small percentage of consumers.
For every few threads you read here about tiny scufs, light leak, yellow screens or other imperfections one finds there's thousands of satisfied customers with no probs that don't post and whine.
They just enjoy their phones.

also to add its not like apple is taking a loss on these products.. the profit margins are high as it is. They might take a small cut in the profit re-manufacturing etc.. but not a loss on the products

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
You can't extrapolate total returns based solely on forum posts. Most MacRumors users are probably much pickier for one thing. For another, a lot of the replacements are refurbs -- consider where refurbs come from.

Does the how really matter? Apple's financials are out there and they're obviously making money despite your assumption that there are such massive returns that they can't be making money. Where do you think the mistake lies? Even without knowing, it's likely that the side that's relying on assumption and speculation rather than the side reporting on hard numbers is the one that is mistaken.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.