Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AzN1337c0d3r

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2010
There's no need to grasp on both edges. I find it balances nicely on the fingers and you don't actually need to grip it at all.

You can't balance it on your fingers if you are lying on your back reading a book. Besides I can "balance" the full-sized ipad on my fingers in a sitting position quite comfortably too.

andiwm2003

macrumors 601
Mar 29, 2004
Boston, MA
I think the 7,9 is a great screen size and 4:3 is perfect for a tablet. I played with a nexus 7 and didn't like the 16:9 and smaller 7" screen. I hope apple never goes to 16:9 on a tablet. You want something smaller get an iPod touch or a Nexus 7.

Funny. I feel exactly the opposite and use my nexus 7 for that reason much more than the iPad. Would be interesting to see how the market would split between the Nexus 7 format and the iPad mini format. However the market is probably more driven by the iOS versus Android and Price than the small difference in screen size.

Stetrain

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2009
A 7" screen with a 1024x768 pixel count is possible, no?

Yes, but then existing iPad apps would be even smaller. Right now when you run an iPad app (that conforms to Apple's UI guidelines) on the iPad Mini, the touch targets are the same size as those on an iPhone. If you mad a 7.0" 1024x768 iPad, those touch targets would be even smaller.

S

syd430

If Apple had opted for a 7" inch screen, maintaining the 4:3 aspect ratio, not only would the PPI be higher (182) but the Mini would be easier to grasp in one hand.

I've been arguing here that you can't properly use ios for ipad on a 7.9" let alone a 7" screen. Everything from the size of the screen elements to the font rendering was designed for a 10" tablet.

Awakener

macrumors 6502
Mar 28, 2011
7" tablets will always serve a purpose. But the fascination with small tablets is a fad like it was with mobile phones. As 10" tablets slim down they will dominate. 5" mobile phones, 10" tablets are the future.

WilliamLondon

macrumors 68000
Dec 8, 2006
7" tablets will always serve a purpose. But the fascination with small tablets is a fad like it was with mobile phones. As 10" tablets slim down they will dominate. 5" mobile phones, 10" tablets are the future.

The future for whom? A fascination with *small* tablets? Perhaps it's a fascination with big tablets, and the 7" is the perfect size.

For me, the 7" is simply perfect in size. If they built a tablet as large as a football field that was as thin and weighed as little as a sheet of notebook paper, I'd not want the thing, because size matters and the 10" form factor is simply too big. And I'd always rather hold in my hand something the size of a paperback book vs. the size of an encyclopedia or reference book, but that's *my* preference, and if that's not you, fine, but it's not wrong and it's not going to change no matter how thin and light these products become in the future.

10" tablets will continue to exist into the future, as will 7" tablets. So, I'm not sure what "being the future" really means, unless it's a reference to what the cool people will exclusively use in the future? :cool:

Awakener

macrumors 6502
Mar 28, 2011
The future for whom? A fascination with *small* tablets? Perhaps it's a fascination with big tablets, and the 7" is the perfect size.

For me, the 7" is simply perfect in size. If they built a tablet as large as a football field that was as thin and weighed as little as a sheet of notebook paper, I'd not want the thing, because size matters and the 10" form factor is simply too big. And I'd always rather hold in my hand something the size of a paperback book vs. the size of an encyclopedia or reference book, but that's *my* preference, and if that's not you, fine, but it's not wrong and it's not going to change no matter how thin and light these products become in the future.

10" tablets will continue to exist into the future, as will 7" tablets. So, I'm not sure what "being the future" really means, unless it's a reference to what the cool people will exclusively use in the future? :cool:

True portability without carrying multiple devices is a 5"-6" phablet. Just as people learned mobile phones and netbooks were too small, the same will happen 7" tablets. Don't know much about S. Jobs but have to agree with him on the 10" tablet.

Yr Blues

macrumors 68030
Jan 14, 2008
10" tablets are the future.

A bezel-less 9.7" iPad would be about the same size as an iPad mini.

The mini's thumb rejection function would need to be adapted for every side. I can see it supplanting the mini and going back to just one model size.

That would be perfection.

ipad-mini-leaked-photo3.jpg

Last edited:

WilliamLondon

macrumors 68000
Dec 8, 2006
True portability without carrying multiple devices is a 5"-6" phablet. Just as people learned mobile phones and netbooks were too small, the same will happen 7" tablets. Don't know much about S. Jobs but have to agree with him on the 10" tablet.

Consider this: phones get smaller, not larger. Or assume the telco's hold on our communications goes away, so each tablet becomes a true phone, large or small. These are things that could affect the future and our use of devices. Numbers of devices I think will increase, and we'll see them in more places in life, not just our book, hand bags or briefcases. We'll see them like you see those same devices in scenes of Star Trek - lying all over the place. More devices, devoted to more uses.

What I won't agree is that suddenly I'm going to think my mini is the wrong size and go either larger or smaller. BTW, I hate those "phablets" - I can't imagine one ever appearing in any pocket of my jeans - they're simply too big and unwieldy.

pasadena

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2012
Seattle, WA
The 4:3 form factor is the main reason why I bought a Mini. 16:10 (or 17:10 as the Kindle Fire, I think?) is good for videos, but it's not good for anything else. So, once again, it boils down to what you do with it.

I like having a device that's good for more things than one. Besides I never liked the 16:10 factor, even for laptops or external monitors. I can hold the mini with my hand accross the back, but that's not how I use it most. I usually hold it by one bezel, or like a book.

Now, It's a good thing that we have the choice of different sizes and form factors. Everyone can find what fits them best.

fertilized-egg

macrumors 68020
Dec 18, 2009
A bezel-less 9.7" iPad would be about the same size as an iPad mini.

One reason why the smaller bezel works with iPad mini is its weight. With the bigger and heavier 9.7" iPad, you need more bezel to get a better squeeze on it to hold tight so I don't think it'll work as well, at least not until they make it lighter.

wow cant believe ifans claiming the mini is the "perfect size" will you lot ever learn?

Actually for the purpose of running iPad apps on a smaller screen with the proven touch target size of iPhone, the size really is perfect because it's a very specific size made with those parameters for the purpose.

virginblue4

macrumors 68020
Apr 15, 2012
United Kingdom
After owning my iPad mini for 1 week, I have come to the conclusion that 7.9" at 4:3 is the perfect size. I have quite small hands and have absolutely no problem holding it at all.

All in all, I think irks my favourite Apple purchase so far and it compliments my iPad (3rd generation) nicely! :D :apple:

That70sGAdawg

macrumors 6502a
May 23, 2008
Athens, GA USA

That's why I just picked up a Galaxy Note II . 5.5" of Phablet that is narrow enough to hold in one hand. I still have the ipad mini, but have a month I have to make a decision.Both have advantages, but the iPad mini cannot be a phone , at least this years version.

sneaky butcher

macrumors 6502
Nov 8, 2011
Actually for the purpose of running iPad apps on a smaller screen with the proven touch target size of iPhone, the size really is perfect because it's a very specific size made with those parameters for the purpose.

yeah and last time the 3.5inch screen was perfect and anything less than 10inch tablet was useless.

its not the perfect size for 16:9 movies with huge black bars on screen. ifans just parrot whatever apple says like they cant think for themselves, it bores me now.

racer1441

macrumors 68000
Jul 3, 2009
wow cant believe ifans claiming the mini is the "perfect size" will you lot ever learn?

Why? The mini is perfect for me. I had a nexus 7 for a week, was small. Ended in not even able to sell the POS, so trash it did go.

Everyone has their own preferences.

danielowenuk

macrumors 6502
Mar 18, 2011
I am half convinced it's what you are used to.

I have an ipad 2. Was asked to setup a Kinda Fire HD for someone earlier this week, for me the screen was a mile too thin. Even on the brief usage I had, I was scrolling more than I normally do (despite the increased screen resolution).

iPad mini arrived the morning and I am much happier with it than I was with the Fire, maybe because I am more used the 4:3 aspect, maybe because of the additional real estate.

You pays your money, you makes your choice.

fertilized-egg

macrumors 68020
Dec 18, 2009
yeah and last time the 3.5inch screen was perfect and anything less than 10inch tablet was useless.

its not the perfect size for 16:9 movies with huge black bars on screen. ifans just parrot whatever apple says like they cant think for themselves, it bores me now.

Have you actually read my posting? I've said it's the perfect size for running the existing iPad apps with the touch size that matches iPhone's touch target. That's a specific function with very hard parameter and thus we can use the word perfect because it's a linear equation with only one possible outcome.

If you prefer 16:9 movies, then you can go with 16:9 tablets. However iPad mini's priority isn't 16:9 movies. If you actually put some thoughts into it instead of just complaining, you'll see that's very clear.

sweetbrat

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2009
Redford, MI

You just assume that everyone that likes it doesn't know enough to make their own decision. You assume that they're all just blindly grabbing the Mini because it has an Apple logo on it. Even when people explain why they prefer it (which means they have actually used it and decided they like it), you refuse to admit that it really is exactly what some people currently want. Why is that such a difficult concept? It's not perfect for everyone...no device is. But saying that everyone here is an ifan and can't think for themselves is ridiculous. Just because you don't like a device, or just because it doesn't have the highest specs, that doesn't mean it doesn't fit someone else's needs. Some people do blindly worship Apple, but there's a whole lot that don't. Some people blindly hate Apple, as well. It goes both ways. Why does something have to be either right or wrong? Why can't people choose what they like and not get criticized for it? I honestly don't get the hostility.

pasadena

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2012
Seattle, WA

Well, if you're so easily bored, you may want to find an occupation, like, say, actually reading the thread you're replying to...

If you only want a movie player, then yes, 16:9 is better. That said, when I watch a movie, I usually do so in the dark, so I don't even see the bars, nor do I see the bezels. Speaking of which, bars + thin bezel, or no bars + big bezel... what's the difference ?

Now, if you buy a tablet to do other things than playing movies, then 4:3 may be nicer than 16:9. But can you imagine people actually doing other things than watching movies on their tablets ? Crazy, I know.

But hey, if having different tastes than yours make me stupid and proves I can't think for myself, then so be it, and thanks for the compliment.

Parrots, really.

sneaky butcher

macrumors 6502
Nov 8, 2011
Well, if you're so easily bored, you may want to find an occupation, like, say, actually reading the thread you're replying to...

If you only want a movie player, then yes, 16:9 is better. That said, when I watch a movie, I usually do so in the dark, so I don't even see the bars, nor do I see the bezels. Speaking of which, bars + thin bezel, or no bars + big bezel... what's the difference ?

Now, if you buy a tablet to do other things than playing movies, then 4:3 may be nicer than 16:9. But can you imagine people actually doing other things than watching movies on their tablets ? Crazy, I know.

But hey, if having different tastes than yours make me stupid and proves I can't think for myself, then so be it, and thanks for the compliment.

Parrots, really.

well done pasedna i think your starting to understand.

There is no "perfect size" its all down to what each individual wants. The ipad mini isnt the "perfect size" if you want something thats pocketable or watching 16:9 movies. On the other hand you can say its better for web browsing

It just grates me to see ifans using the phrase "perfect size" especially with apples track record.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.