Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dennno

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2011
It's about value for money also mate. It's not like the prices are going down while the hardware gets older. At least not until the next refresh.
At least I'm pretty sure that's why. It's why I'd rather it sooner than later.

Exactly there is no excuse. Optical drives are still highly used so why remove it for the sake of 10-20mm thickness on a desktop?
What do you think is after discs? 4K needs to go on something and downloading that isn't practical.
Also blu-ray quality is vastly superior to anything you can stream.

I'd like to see that blu-ray's quality when you scratch that disc, lose it on a house fire/natural disaster or lend it to a friend who never gives it back. That's right it's gone forever. Are you seriously arguing that a few levels of quality increase (which is barely noticeable to the average person) is worth more than longevity and reusability?

Using your first statement:
It's about value for money also mate.

It seems you contradict yourself. Blu-ray is certainly not a value for money in comparison to a digital download which is:
1: re-downloadable (lifespan is forever)
2: can be stored in multiple devices
3: safely and securely stored on Apple's servers

So either your arguments for blu-ray is baseless or you're just complaining about value for money. Which is it? :rolleyes:

shaunp

Cancelled
Nov 5, 2010
Who cares ...

I want Apple to make an actual i7 based desktop not a lighter, thiner iMac.

WatchTheThrone

macrumors regular
Aug 2, 2011
What really hack's me off is that Apple has removed the current iMac from their online store so it's incredible difficult to even buy ANY iMac let alone one with the BTO options.

There must be a ton of stock out there sitting on shelves in a warehouse.

I spoke to a sales person at my local Apple store who told me that as soon as the new machines were announced the order went out that no current iMacs could be sold!! WTF!

I'm stuck with a maxed out 6 year old MacPro and no real upgrade path at the moment.

I bought an iMac 2 days after it was announced so idk if that last comment of yours is true for most apple stores!!
But I feel you I was waiting for the new iMac since may but when they announced non upgradable ram on the 21.5 and a slower 5400 HD I was like uhhh hmm maybe I'll wait then I saw the price also go up to 1299 and I decided right then and there I was gonna buy the current one.
I was perfectly happy with apple using the current design and just adding ivy and usb3.
They should have just waited until Hawsell to make it thinner and maybe added a retina version. I feel like this iMac was rushed out before it was ready for the show!!

Foggy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 4, 2006
London, UK
The most irritating part is, sitting in front of my screen, I don't really care how thick it is. I would rather then had removed the chin than made it thinner.

Will have to start looking into a mac mini at this rate as who knows when a 27" iMac will arrive in my office.

timd.mackey

macrumors member
Jun 8, 2010
Can't wait to carry my iMac around, its gonna be so thin! :rolleyes:

I actually knew a guy in college who would carry his 20" iMac around like a laptop. He had a case for it and everything; it looked ridiculous :p. Mind you, he was about 6'8" and built, so he didn't have any trouble carrying it.

Andeavor

macrumors 6502
Aug 19, 2010
Sheesh, you people are an inpatient lot. Just because they realized they can't uphold a promised date because they miscalculated the production time doesn't mean you have to get so nasty about it.

By the time the new iMacs will be out next year, there's already a new processor or manufacturing method in production. Your "great demand" makes companies like Apple stumble over their own feet because they can't make you happier every next quarter.

Like Ovid once said, "Everything comes gradually and at its appointed hour."

Westyfield2

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2009
Bath, UK.
So no-one can buy an iMac for Christmas other than a used one off eBay, regardless of whether it's the new or old model? Not very clever Apple!

maxira

macrumors member
Oct 5, 2012
... to think that someone was ironic when I pointed out that selling after two months of submission, they are two months more on the technology presented, and if this news is true, we have a product four months old and four months, for the technology, are so many! maybe then, in August, we will show an iMac 2s! dear Apple now people are starting to think differently! , Looking for competitors! too much time spent on the phone!

Last edited:

zv470

macrumors 6502
Jul 4, 2004
Japan
It will be worth the wait. :) My 6 and a half year old mini is still a good machine, but if it died I'd just get another mini.

Rockondevil

macrumors member
Aug 25, 2012
It seems you contradict yourself. Blu-ray is certainly not a value for money in comparison to a digital download which is:

So either your arguments for blu-ray is baseless or you're just complaining about value for money. Which is it? :rolleyes:

You compare pros and cons like Samsung does.

Blu-ray has pros over digital as does digital over blu-ray.
Blu-ray is better quality, both picture and sound.
Over here you pay the same price as a digital download and you receive a blu-ray, DVD and a digital copy with most movies.
Yes it can scratch, you can also back things up to, plus you do have the digital copy if things go bad. I personally have never scratched a disc.

However as you noted digital does have its benefits.
But some people also prefer to have a physical and cloud storage of everything for many reasons.

What I also want to know is what's next? Blu-ray isn't forever and if/when 4K becomes the norm you can't download something that size unless Internet providers up their benefits many times (a 4K movie is like 3tb last I checked, although perhaps that has improved).

I'm not against removing a disc drive. I just think it was a few years to early. Anyway I'm done with this since this isn't what this news article is for anyway.

Last edited:

Scrapula

macrumors 6502
May 1, 2012
Seattle, WA
Here we go again with the optical drive argument. Move on already it's 2012! Retailers are barely selling CDs (a majority of them are cutting it out of their inventories), all major software companies offer software installations, drivers, updates etc. over the internet. There's NO excuse.

Here are a few others that you may not know:

2. Cars have an audio jack for your iPhone: why bother trying to switch between 5-10 CDs to find a song you want?

Actually, my car does not. I have an integrated GPS which uses the wiring for what would have been the AUX input. In order to use an iPod, I must buy a different wiring harness and have them rip out the dashboard to install it. It is cheaper for me to burn a CD for a current album that I really like. Also, my Bluetooth Audio on the car only works for talking on the phone. It will not work to play music.

hamkor04

macrumors 6502
Apr 10, 2011
I don't understand why desktop Macs should be thinner? :confused:

they could build much powerful machine in 2012 if they used 2011 cases.
and it's not that "thin" even, only edges so what is a point to make iMacs thin and unavailable or be little realistic, sort known issues out and make some better imacs with better CPU and GPUs. is not that simple?

hamkor04

macrumors 6502
Apr 10, 2011
Sheesh, you people are an inpatient lot. Just because they realized they can't uphold a promised date because they miscalculated the production time doesn't mean you have to get so nasty about it.

By the time the new iMacs will be out next year, there's already a new processor or manufacturing method in production. Your "great demand" makes companies like Apple stumble over their own feet because they can't make you happier every next quarter.

Like Ovid once said, "Everything comes gradually and at its appointed hour."

I was waiting for new iMac nearly a year and week ago I sold my MBP 17 2010, to get one, so im using old windows machine now, and to use my mac "eco system" friendly setup (apps and files) i need to get a mac so there is no old there is no new one, am I still inpatient?

Drunken Master

macrumors 65816
Jul 19, 2011
I don't understand why desktop Macs should be thinner? :confused:

Lightness is a big deal for a monitor that is 27 inches.

A friend of mine does almost all her videography editing on a 27' iMac. She had some issues with it last year and had to take it into the Apple Store. After getting it into the box, she was physically unable to carry it by herself to her car and then from the car to the store, it was simply too large and heavy (she's about 5"3').

I'd imagine that lighter also means less materials used.

This is dangerous thinking though in a sense. If everyone thought like that, then desktops would still have CRT monitors. Why have something thinner than the original iMac? It just goes on a desk, right?

jimbo1mcm

macrumors 68000
Mar 21, 2010
Tim to Phil: " What is all that noise outside ? "

Phil: "......er, it seems to be a crowd with lanterns and pitchforks."

timcullis

macrumors member
Oct 9, 2012
London
All this panic.. Over what... A rumor?
The site still says. 21 in nov and 27 in dec!

Well, it is a rumours site. :)

All this fuss over an obscure report from some guy in France who's heard from an undefined commercial source...

Yes, of course there will have been production problems, but will every unit have been scrap? Of course not. Yes, supplies might be constrained at first--bit like most launches then.

Apple will have been aware of any major production problems well before the launch. What's happened in the three weeks since then to make things any different?

Will Apple push back the launch? Not unless they want to see the share price fall off the edge of the cliff.

So c'mon guys, get a backbone and wait it out. Only twelve days to go.

Last edited:

hamkor04

macrumors 6502
Apr 10, 2011
All this panic.. Over what... A rumor?
The site still says. 21 in nov and 27 in dec!

this could be a "Demand manipulation" sort of (dirty) marketing schema, panicked buyer will buy as soon as they start to sell, so by this way imac "adoption" will hit the new records or just they screwed up to not being a realistic

DitteVilladsen

macrumors member
Nov 1, 2012
I had a mid-2007 iMac. I had been waiting to upgrade that slow-as-mollasses
paperweight since late 2011. I thought the new iMacs were right around the corner.

When I heard "December" I just knew these suckers were vapor, and I ordered a souped-up Mac mini and a Dell monitor. I'm very happy with it! Adios skinny iMac with no audio in jack.

Delayed because of Intel's chip delays, then rumors of some weird display delays (retina or touch screens), then finally they are announced but not put on sale right away, then now this welding issue.

I'm so glad Jony Ive is pushing the envelope in making my computer 5 mm thin. I'll get a lot more done because of that. If it takes until 2015 to get it right they should not release it until it's finished. In fact, why 5 mm? Make it 1 mm! Don't release the iMac until they can ultraweld it out of liquid metal that's 1 mm thick!

On another topic, I ordered an iPod touch more than two weeks ago. Where the heck is that? I'm not sure I'll be getting that until next yet.

Steve121178

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Bedfordshire, UK
It's quite clear that the new iMac is designed with Haswell in mind rather than 'old' Ivy Bridge tech. I'd wait until May/June if you are not desperate for a new computer...

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
Here we go again with the optical drive argument. Move on already it's 2012! Retailers are barely selling CDs (a majority of them are cutting it out of their inventories), all major software companies offer software installations, drivers, updates etc. over the internet. There's NO excuse.
2011 marked the first year online music sales topped physical CD sales. 50.3% to 49.7%. It is 2012 and I've been hearing about the death of CDs since '99. I guess it will happen some day.

So Apple (or Amazon or Google, etc.,) will forever be in business and forever offer customers the ability to re-download purchases? Seriously?

This is dangerous thinking though in a sense. If everyone thought like that, then desktops would still have CRT monitors. Why have something thinner than the original iMac? It just goes on a desk, right?
What would desktops still have CRT monitors? LCD monitors are thinner, have a small footprint, are much lighter, easier on the eyes, much less apt to burn in, etc.,. As others have pointed out the new iMac is still as deep as the old iMac, takes up the same desktop footprint, has the same ergonomically limited stand... Not really an apples to apples comparison, IMO.

Cancelled
Apr 10, 2012
****CONSPIRACY ALERT*****

Is this a plot to drop the iMac altogether?

Tim: Well, we have decided to drop the iMac. Our sales were so low over the last 6 months it is clearly what our customers want.

******AWOOGA***********

SATIRE ALERT!

hamkor04

macrumors 6502
Apr 10, 2011
Lightness is a big deal for a monitor that is 27 inches.

A friend of mine does almost all her videography editing on a 27' iMac. She had some issues with it last year and had to take it into the Apple Store. After getting it into the box, she was physically unable to carry it by herself to her car and then from the car to the store, it was simply too large and heavy (she's about 5"3').

I'd imagine that lighter also means less materials used.

lighter is better because of
- less material
- less packaging volume
- less fuel etc. (transportation)
these all means less carbon emission

but all of these nothing to do with computer performance which should be much powerful than "easy to carry" laptops. and shoul;d be realistic. because people (more serious users not a "thin" lovers) buy this not because of they are light to carry back to Genius Bar because of they can do some decent video editing. but, still they could make much lighter with previous year case sizes. Also they could putt proper cooler and better GPU CPU (not a laptop ones) and if they still wanted to remove the optical drive, no problem do so. and Im sure iMac would be thinner than 2011 if they even include things I mentioned above

Yojimbo007

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2012
Believe it or not.. Some people actually like nice esthetic design.
And the innovative fusion drive
And the new laminated screen technology with superior clarity, contrast and color accuracy!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.