Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AlabamaSlammer

macrumors 6502
Feb 8, 2012
Alabama
how did you finding nexus 10?

thinking of buying myself one of em ;)

I ordered the nexus 10 yesterday (11-13-12) from the google play store but it hasn't shipped yet. From what the reviewers are saying, it seems like a good tablet. As of writing this, the 16gb ($399) is still in stock but the 32gb ($499) is sold out

rkmac

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2009
JAFA, New Zealand
ipad-mini_smartcover_darkgray-on-black_032-600x398.jpeg

iPad mini 16GB Black Wifi + Dark Grey Smart Cover.

twietee

macrumors 603
Jan 24, 2012
Only so much time to devote to ridiculous obsessions...coffee is mine!!:p:D

What ever happened to that expensive grinder we all dreamed about? Still making up your mind? Impulsive spending is the way to go!

And I don't want to hear those cheap 'I just bought iPad4 and iPhone5 blablabla' excuses! ;)

I just got this nice peppy fellow:

Not a Peugot, but still very good. Love the olive finish.

Attachments

• dt_xl_Frankfurt_Olive_xl_2297_652967.jpg
    dt_xl_Frankfurt_Olive_xl_2297_652967.jpg
    177.6 KB · Views: 58
Last edited:

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
What ever happened to that expensive grinder we all dreamed about? Still making up your mind? Impulsive spending is the way to go!

And I don't want to hear those cheap 'I just bought iPad4 and iPhone5 blablabla' excuses! ;)

I just got this nice peppy fellow:

Not a Peugot, but still very good. Love the olive finish.

He, He....A little bird informed me that he's bought the grinder!!!:D

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
:D

And now he can opt for that bluray player! :p

Yes, yes...I'm weak and pathetic. I did order the grinder. MacMan45's little bird had the straight poop! (get it?...birdy...poop...) It is due for delivery some time in January 2013, assuming no production problems. HG-One posted a map of all the grinders sold worldwide.

No plans for a Blu-Ray at the moment.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-11-15 at 7.28.13 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2012-11-15 at 7.28.13 AM.png
    68.9 KB · Views: 95

twietee

macrumors 603
Jan 24, 2012
Yes, yes...I'm weak and pathetic. I did order the grinder. MacMan45's little bird had the straight poop! (get it?...birdy...poop...) It is due for delivery some time in January 2013, assuming no production problems. HG-One posted a map of all the grinders sold worldwide.

No plans for a Blu-Ray at the moment.

So cool! Which one did you order 71 or 83mm? Very curious though, hope for a full report of yours and then....will....probably....get that 23.99€ Braun thing :p

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
So cool! Which one did you order 71 or 83mm? Very curious though, hope for a full report of yours and then....will....probably....get that 23.99€ Braun thing :p

I ordered the 83MM grinder.

One suggestion regarding your purchase of a grinder. It s generally agreed that second to the quality of the beans, the next most important element in making espresso is the grinder...more important even than the machine. Whatever grinder you get, make sure it is a BURR grinder (ideally conical burr, but flat burr is fine). NO BLADES ON PENALTY OF DEATH!! The next most important variable in the grinder is the number of adjustments. The (purportedly) best is "stepless" adjustment; i.e no clicks, just an infinitely variable adjustment. I currently have a grinder with 55 "stepped" adjustments. This allows grinding from very coarse (for press) to very fine (for espresso). The high number of adjustments make each "click" so fine as to be almost stepless.

The bottom line is my suggestion that whatever grinder you buy have as many adjustment steps as possible. A very small adjustment can make the difference between under extraction, over extraction, and the "right" extraction time when making the espresso. :D

h1r0ll3r

macrumors 68040
Dec 28, 2009
Maryland
It's kind of like a fruit / wine / etc of the month club, with olive oil. You pick out a grove in Italy and you get olive oil pressed from "your tree" (or your share in the output of the grove, 1.5 liters to start and any additional you request). They make great oil! I use their mandarin olive oil in waffles, muffins, cakes.. I got the subscription, a couple of cans of olive oil to go with the subscription packet ("your" olive oil comes a few months down the road) and the book written by the people who started the enterprise ("The Dolce Vita Diaries"). A great gift for the foodie in your life who has everything already. http://nudo-italia.com/

Ahh, ok. Thanks for that.

pakyooh

macrumors 6502
Jan 21, 2009
California
Moleskine + MILK photo book I ordered came in. Put together a book for the last wedding I did just so I have something to show when I meet with clients (most of my work are only accessible online for now).

8186759346_7f6828f9ba_c.jpg

8186749908_d22ea17dda_c.jpg

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
I just ordered this Zwilling J.A. Henckels Twin Sharp Duo Knife Sharpener.

The reviews were great. I have a 3 stage ChefChoice sharpener which weighs a ton, makes a huge racket, takes forever to sharpen a few knives, and doesn't really put on a particularly good edge. It's such a pain in the ass it's up in the cabinet and I never use it.One of the reviewers (a professional chef) compared the two and found this to be better in all ways...AND IT WAS CHEAP!!!

I have that and it works great. I can't believe it was so inexpensive.

Colombianito

macrumors member
Jul 16, 2012
Wife shattered the screen on her iPhone 4. I decided she needed an iPhone 5 to compliment mine. Got her a 32 GB white one.

twietee

macrumors 603
Jan 24, 2012

One suggestion regarding your purchase of a grinder. It s generally agreed that second to the quality of the beans, the next most important element in making espresso is the grinder...more important even than the machine. Whatever grinder you get, make sure it is a BURR grinder (ideally conical burr, but flat burr is fine). NO BLADES ON PENALTY OF DEATH!! The next most important variable in the grinder is the number of adjustments. The (purportedly) best is "stepless" adjustment; i.e no clicks, just an infinitely variable adjustment. I currently have a grinder with 55 "stepped" adjustments. This allows grinding from very coarse (for press) to very fine (for espresso). The high number of adjustments make each "click" so fine as to be almost stepless.

The bottom line is my suggestion that whatever grinder you buy have as many adjustment steps as possible. A very small adjustment can make the difference between under extraction, over extraction, and the "right" extraction time when making the espresso. :D

Thank's again once more. I'm still undecided though. Maybe I'll opt for these cheap but ok-ish Braun things (blades) for the moment as I have to get lots of new furniture this year as I'm moving in with my girlfriend. Yay. And spending 850$ for the perfect burr grinder, I'm sure that'll cause lots of trouble right now - and I don't want to drink that perfect cup of coffee alone. ;)
For my Bialetti it'll work fine enough, I think.

One question though: what's the big deal with 71 compared to 83mm? Difference in price is only 10$ if I checked right. Any reason not to go with 83mm?

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago

:eek:Penalty of death? Now I know he's really coffee bananas....I'm sticking with my drip thing! In the morning I want coffees NOW! I can't see me fiddling with step settings etc. but I know you like your coffee hobby...enjoy:D

Last edited:

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
Thank's again once more. I'm still undecided though. Maybe I'll opt for these cheap but ok-ish Braun things (blades) for the moment as I have to get lots of new furniture this year as I'm moving in with my girlfriend. Yay. And spending 850$ for the perfect burr grinder, I'm sure that'll cause lots of trouble right now - and I don't want to drink that perfect cup of coffee alone. ;)
For my Bialetti it'll work fine enough, I think.

One question though: what's the big deal with 71 compared to 83mm? Difference in price is only 10$ if I checked right. Any reason not to go with 83mm?

Buddy, really, really, really...don't get anything with blades. You can find an inexpensive burr grinder.

Blade choppers will completely ruin your coffee beans. You want an even grind, meaning all the particles are the same size. The chopper ones give you all different size particles...big chunks, fine powder, all kinds of crap. And then you will be tempted to just keep grinding, creating bean destroying heat.When you try to tamp it, you will get a lousy puck and the water will find "channels" and give you lousy espresso. The blade ones create a lot of heat. Heat is the enemy of your coffee beans. It scorches the beans and cooks the coffee oils. Believe me, you will ruin your coffee using a blade grinder. There are inexpensive burr grinders. You don't have to spend a bunch of money (as I did) to get an OK BURR grinder. Remember, the grinder is, after the beans, the most important element in your espresso making. You will just ruin your beans and waste whatever you paid for them if you use a blade chopper.

Mu understanding of the difference between the 71MM and the 83MM burrs is that the physical effort needed to turn the flywheel is much less with the 71MM burrs. You can get the grinder with 71MM burrs, and then if you want the advantages of the 83MM, you can switch them out. However, the replacement burrs, not surprisingly, cost a lot. So I went with the 83MM and will lift weights to strengthen my arm, if necessary!!

DON"T GET THE BLADE CHOPPER!!:eek: :D

lukefinch

macrumors 6502
May 6, 2009
South Yorkshire, England
I used to play guitar a bit a couple of years ago and have wanted to get back into it for a while so today, I got the new guitar and amplifier that I ordered yesterday.

New Guitar by lukefinch, on Flickr

Together, they cost me £170. The guitar is an alpine white Epiphone Les Paul Junior and the amp is a Line 6 Spider IV 15. The amp also came with an FBV2 2 button foot switch.

So far, I am very impressed with both the guitar and the amp :)

twietee

macrumors 603
Jan 24, 2012
Buddy, really, really, really...don't get anything with blades. You can find an inexpensive burr grinder.

Blade choppers will completely ruin your coffee beans. You want an even grind, meaning all the particles are the same size. The chopper ones give you all different size particles...big chunks, fine powder, all kinds of crap. And then you will be tempted to just keep grinding, creating bean destroying heat.When you try to tamp it, you will get a lousy puck and the water will find "channels" and give you lousy espresso. The blade ones create a lot of heat. Heat is the enemy of your coffee beans. It scorches the beans and cooks the coffee oils. Believe me, you will ruin your coffee using a blade grinder. There are inexpensive burr grinders. You don't have to spend a bunch of money (as I did) to get an OK BURR grinder. Remember, the grinder is, after the beans, the most important element in your espresso making. You will just ruin your beans and waste whatever you paid for them if you use a blade chopper.

Mu understanding of the difference between the 71MM and the 83MM burrs is that the physical effort needed to turn the flywheel is much less with the 71MM burrs. You can get the grinder with 71MM burrs, and then if you want the advantages of the 83MM, you can switch them out. However, the replacement burrs, not surprisingly, cost a lot. So I went with the 83MM and will lift weights to strengthen my arm, if necessary!!

DON"T GET THE BLADE CHOPPER!!:eek: :D

:eek:

ok, ok. I'll surrender. And did you just call your eight-hundred-bucks-and-more-HG-One an "OK BURR grinder??!" :eek:

No, really :eek:

;)

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
:eek:

ok, ok. I'll surrender. And did you just call your eight-hundred-bucks-and-more-HG-One an "OK BURR grinder??!" :eek:

No, really :eek:

;)

Bad sentence construction!:eek:

That baby better be a WHOLE LOT BETTER than just OK!!!:eek:

Sorry if I sounded like I was trying to twist your arm. But a blade chopper is death to your beans.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.