Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

inselstudent

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2012
Need more impressions of battery life when y'all can, please. :)

I'm not at all impressed with battery life so far. This morning I plugged my nexus off and after 30 minutes when I looked at it, it was down to 95% without any active task, screen off etc.
Yesterday when I got the device at 12 am, it had an initial charge of about 50%. About 2 hours or so later I had to plug it in - that was with heavy use I guess. Didn't really use the device until the evening and it was down to 50% again at 10 pm.
That's only my first impression though.

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Original poster
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)
I'm not at all impressed with battery life so far. This morning I plugged my nexus off and after 30 minutes when I looked at it, it was down to 95% without any active task, screen off etc.
Yesterday when I got the device at 12 am, it had an initial charge of about 50%. About 2 hours or so later I had to plug it in - that was with heavy use I guess. Didn't really use the device until the evening and it was down to 50% again at 10 pm.
That's only my first impression though.

Seems very power hungry to me too.

iPhone 4 unplugged at the same time as my N4, iPhone has 88% left, the N4 is on 74%. My Galaxy Nexus on the extended battery used to regularly outdo my iPhone 4 too so I hope something improves over a few charge cycles! :(

Tinmania

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2011
Aridzona
Got my shipping notice email 2:30am. Still not showing in UPS's system though.

Hope it shipped next day!

Anyone else get it to show up in UPS yet?

Michael

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
Got my shipping notice email 2:30am. Still not showing in UPS's system though.

Hope it shipped next day!

Anyone else get it to show up in UPS yet?

Michael

I still have not gotten a shipping notice =/

does the email say where it shipped from?

edit:

For those of you with at&t, will I have to add any APN settings to get MMS?

Last edited:

Tinmania

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2011
Aridzona
I still have not gotten a shipping notice =/

does the email say where it shipped from?

edit:

For those of you with at&t, will I have to add any APN settings to get MMS?

Nope, just said it was shipped and included tracking number--which is not showing up as valid at UPS yet.

"Thank you.
Great news! Your order on Google Play has shipped. Track the status of your package UPS #1Z7XXXXXXXXXXXXXX. Note that it may take 24 hours for your tracking number to return any information.

Order number: XXXXXXXXXXXXX.XXXXXXXXXXXXXX
Order date: Nov 13, 2012 10:06:10 AM MST
Payment method: AMEX xxx-1000"

Michael

THE JUICEMAN

macrumors 68020
Oct 3, 2007
Nope, just said it was shipped and included tracking number--which is not showing up as valid at UPS yet.

"Thank you.
Great news! Your order on Google Play has shipped. Track the status of your package UPS #1Z7XXXXXXXXXXXXXX. Note that it may take 24 hours for your tracking number to return any information.

Order number: XXXXXXXXXXXXX.XXXXXXXXXXXXXX
Order date: Nov 13, 2012 10:06:10 AM MST
Payment method: AMEX xxx-1000"

Michael

Lucky....no email here. I did make it to t mobile though and I was really impressed with the phone so far.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
a few people on android central got their phones and their order still shows "shipping november 15" and they never got a shipping notice.....wouldn't that be awesome.

Vitrum

macrumors regular
Nov 7, 2012
a few people on android central got their phones and their order still shows "shipping november 15" and they never got a shipping notice.....wouldn't that be awesome.

Not for me :eek: i use a forward company with a florida addres, without the tracking number it might be stuck there and i cant notify i have a package waiting lol

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Original poster
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)
Hoping this improves. :eek:

Attachments

• Screenshot_2012-11-15-14-19-50.png
    Screenshot_2012-11-15-14-19-50.png
    107.2 KB · Views: 119

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Original poster
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)
Dont know nothing about android battery status etc, is that picture something good or bad ?

I was getting much better battery on my Galaxy Nexus with extended battery (2100MAH).

Hoping for some improvement really after a few charge cycles.

Attachments

• 2012 - 1.png
    2012 - 1.png
    88.6 KB · Views: 116

daveathall

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2010
North Yorkshire
Is your phone unlocked Chaz please?

Must admit that I'm tempted to go to O2 and pay the 120 quid extra for the phone but don't want it locked (I have an O2 account but don't want to wait for them to do the updates) I know you got yours from CPW.

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Original poster
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)
Is your phone unlocked Chaz please?

Must admit that I'm tempted to go to O2 and pay the 120 quid extra for the phone but don't want it locked (I have an O2 account but don't want to wait for them to do the updates) I know you got yours from CPW.

All nexus GSM handsets are sim unlocked so you should be fine to go. :D

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
is that usage time or stand by time? If it is stand by time...how much usage time do you have?

inselstudent

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2012
I'm in the middle of a charge cycle now so I'll give it another check tomorrow after a full day's use.

Do you have location services enabled? I do and Maps seems to be running in the background all the time, even after force-stopping it. Well, besides, my battery seems yo run out much faster than yours. Do you have any other tips on hoe to save battery life for an Android first timer?:)

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Original poster
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)
Do you have location services enabled? I do and Maps seems to be running in the background all the time, even after force-stopping it. Well, besides, my battery seems yo run out much faster than yours. Do you have any other tips on hoe to save battery life for an Android first timer?:)

When I'm out and about about I have WiFi off, GPS off (cell triangulation still works) auto brightness on. Screen timeout was 2 mins by default so I've set that to 30 seconds.

Will look though my n4 tomorrow in case I've missed anything off. :)

daveathall

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2010
North Yorkshire
Im thinking about buying a Pay as you Go O2 one. Is it carrier locked? Does it have O2 stamped on it?

If it is locked can I have it unlocked?

I asked the same question before I bought the phone

All nexus GSM handsets are sim unlocked so you should be fine to go. :D

Thanks to Chaz, I bought the phone, it seems he is indeed correct. When powering up the phone it says "Google" rather than "O2" so I presume it is unlocked.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.