Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Northgrove

macrumors 65816
Aug 3, 2010
Jeeez, since when did all these forum members develop an intricate knowledge of Apples management and how Tim Cook is apparently screwing everything up? I mean, really, get some perspective and understand that you are not qualified to draw such ridiculous bar room conclusions based on a delayed iMac and other perceived issues - it's like listening to Cliff from Cheers pontificating on issues he knows nothing about.

Please, can the amateur commentators lay of the Apple CEO and prematurely predict his downfall - if you're such fans of the Apple brand why not show some solidarity and support rather than finding every opportunity to put the boot in. Hate to break it to you guys but Apple, under Steve Jobs, also had it's fair share of issues and mistakes, all that he touched did not turn to gold.

The reason to any delay is obviously hard to discuss since we are as you say no insiders here. But if there even is a delay risking the most valuable season of the year with no backup plan, there are grave mistakes that have been made somewhere, and Cook is the natural person to reach for since he is the guy spearheading Apple's product strategies.

everything-i

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2012
London, UK
So an unsubstantiated rumour on some French site and everyone seems to be getting very annoyed. Maybe better to wait until its from a rumour from a decent source before getting worked up. Lots of FUD in the air these days ;)

Wardenski

macrumors 6502
Jan 22, 2012
Maybe it's time Apple actually buys or builds its own factories. The supply chain is killing them with leaks and "yield issues".

But then Apple would have to do the difficult work and spend lots of money making the factory really thin.

Lancer

macrumors 68020
Jul 22, 2002
Australia
So the bulge size on the back of the iMac is the critical spec for your buying decision?
I don't know why people focus on this when NO ONE here has seen the new iMac, outside of pics/video online.

I'm reserving my judgment until I see them for myself.

Outside of a total use of laptop components like flash storage and soldered RAM (like in the MBPr) you will never have a totally flat back and thin iMac.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Okay I went to the Google translation of that French website and they give absolutely no reason for the delay. Even here the original post has no information other than they might be delayed. Everything else is pure speculation and nothing more. Yes I know this is a rumor site, but the rumor itself doesn't say anything about the reasons behind possible delays.

I don't even know what the point of this story is since hit provides so little information. :confused:

Glassed Silver

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2007
Kassel, Germany
I don't understand why desktop Macs should be thinner? :confused:
Because bananas!

Reliability better not suffer from this... oh meh, I don't get my hopes up.

With the iMac positioned even as a professional desktop, I still cringe over the fact that we get full CPUs but not full GPUs... GRRR

Glassed Silver:ios

macchiato2009

macrumors 65816
Aug 14, 2009
i don't remember any reliable rumour spread by the french site Macbidouille

they also pretend to get info from a source that no other popular website ever heard of, like they get secret sources nobody has...

i think it's BS

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Jeeez, since when did all these forum members develop an intricate knowledge of Apples management and how Tim Cook is apparently screwing everything up? I mean, really, get some perspective and understand that you are not qualified to draw such ridiculous bar room conclusions based on a delayed iMac and other perceived issues - it's like listening to Cliff from Cheers pontificating on issues he knows nothing about.

Please, can the amateur commentators lay of the Apple CEO and prematurely predict his downfall - if you're such fans of the Apple brand why not show some solidarity and support rather than finding every opportunity to put the boot in. Hate to break it to you guys but Apple, under Steve Jobs, also had it's fair share of issues and mistakes, all that he touched did not turn to gold.
What makes me shake my head is #1, we don't know for certain that there will be delays (November isn't over yet). And #2 if there are going to be delays we have no idea what's causing them. This story has very little information, yet everyone seems to be speculating its a manufacturing issue when there's no evidence to suggest it.

steve119

macrumors 6502
Mar 2, 2012
Scotland, land of the haggis
What makes me shake my head is #1, we don't know for certain that there will be delays (November isn't over yet). And #2 if there are going to be delays we have no idea what's causing them. This story has very little information, yet everyone seems to be speculating its a manufacturing issue when there's no evidence to suggest it.

I was under the impression that it was only the 27" model they had problems with welding so how this would delay the 21" I don't know.:confused:

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
So an unsubstantiated rumour on some French site and everyone seems to be getting very annoyed. Maybe better to wait until its from a rumour from a decent source before getting worked up. Lots of FUD in the air these days ;)

They should rename this site to MacFUD. :D

macmyworld

macrumors 6502
May 25, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
Regardless if the rumor is BS, the fair question remains about there the iMacs are. November 15th and no sign of them.

Not having an iMac available for sale is a huge mistake by Apple and they are already going to be hurt during the holiday season.

No free pass on this one. Execution is key for Apple.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
I was under the impression that it was only the 27" model they had problems with welding so how this would delay the 21" I don't know.:confused:
where are you getting that impression from? And how do we know its an issue with this friction stir welding process. :confused:

cdmoore74

macrumors 68020
Jun 24, 2010
well, maybe they should put the older imacs back in the store. It's a better design anyways. Never understood why you need a superthin imac. In reality, isn't even that thin. It's just thin at the edges. In the middle, it has a huge bulge like its pregnant. It's thin if you place it on your desk and stare at it at exactly a 78 degree angle.

lol.

What a complete disaster.

Apple maps that can't map properly, Siri that makes mistakes 50% of the time, iPhone 5 that has limited production, iPad mini that has lower resolution than SMALLER Android tablets, An iMac that's kinda "fake" thin and an iMac that isn't available before the holidays....and of course a Mac Pro lineup that's slower than a Mac mini. Oh, don't forget iOS 6 that basically providing nothing new. We all should re-install iLife 2011 as we enter into 2013. Maybe that'll make us feel better.

You forgot about the iPad 3 and iPad 4 being released only 7 months apart with both looking exactly the same. And let's not forget the potential of having a iPhone 5s next year with very little changes to the formula. Oh, and the over priced iPod touch that's only $30 dollars away from the over priced iPad mini which is over priced at $130. Great times indeed.

dalexa

macrumors member
Apr 22, 2010
I don't understand why desktop Macs should be thinner? :confused:

it's a new way of decrease the life cycle of the imac. let it heat as much as it can. in two or three years they're toasted and you'll have to buy another one.

as they see it's a win win situation. you get a new imac every two or three years, they'll have your money again.

i had a macbook (white) from 2006 and only replaced it this year because a friend spilled a glass of wine on top of it... six years to get another 1k in their pocket is too long.

now for real. i really don't get since the imac is also about the need of power to work. i guess that the arm switch is not that far away and with that... the apple i need is going to be an igadget company. it's all about profit these days. they don't profit much with imacs, mac minis or macbooks

jkmags

macrumors member
May 6, 2011
Why is the hardware aging? Intel's next-gen Haswell processors aren't gonna be out till the summer. This is still very good hardware.

I do agree with your point, in that the hardware is still very good but the more the iMac is pushed back the more concern I would have in wanting to purchase one.

Now, I am not in the market to buy the MY2012 iMac so my opinion is a little biased. If this rumor is true, we may not see the new iMac being shipped in quantity until a Jan - Feb timeframe and as you say Haswell should be released next summer. So in a few months (after release) the CPU will be 1 gen behind and once again the iMac will play catchup which could cause the 2012 iMac to have a very short lifecycle before the next update. Plus, if you have ever purchased a 1st gen product they seem to have some growing pains.

kalsta

macrumors 68000
May 17, 2010
Australia
What a complete disaster.

Apple maps that can't map properly, Siri that makes mistakes 50% of the time, iPhone 5 that has limited production, iPad mini that has lower resolution than SMALLER Android tablets, An iMac that's kinda "fake" thin and an iMac that isn't available before the holidays....and of course a Mac Pro lineup that's slower than a Mac mini. Oh, don't forget iOS 6 that basically providing nothing new. We all should re-install iLife 2011 as we enter into 2013. Maybe that'll make us feel better.

Yes, there have been some recent missteps for sure! I'd add the iPod nano as another one. But just for a bit of balance, here are some of the things Apple are doing right:

• Siri. Yeah, I'm going to list it as a positive too, because it's a night and day improvement over their previous attempt at voice recognition, and it's looking very promising for the future
  • A6 (iPhone 5) and A6X (iPad 4) chips are blisteringly fast
  • Antireflective coating on iMac displays. How long have many of us been asking for this!!
  • Not bowing to pressure to make iPhone's wider, but making them usable in one hand. (It would have been so easy for them to screw this up, but they didn't. The longer screen works well IMO.)
  • Free syncing services for everyone via iCloud
  • Great upgrade to iPod Touches. We have one of the new 5th gen iPod Touches, and they are a huge improvement over the 4th gen—speed, display, camera, overall design.
  • The new lightning connector is an improvement over the old one, and it had to happen sometime—it's easier to get in and out, and being able to insert it either way is a big plus.
  • The iPad mini, while it is a no-buy for me because of the non-retina screen, is still a beautifully designed device. Having tried one in the store, I think they got the size and weight just right. So while the first generation is something of a disappointment in some respects, it is the beginning of more choice for iPad buyers and a promise of something special with the next generation.

iMcLovin

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2009
I'm on a diet to get as sexy thin as the new iMac. So this is good news, it's buying me some extra time to match up.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.