Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JazzG

macrumors member
Nov 9, 2009
I have a very weird problem. My wifi is fine. App Store, brownish and all is ok.. I have a problem when I try to download something from App Store.

Only downloading apps is a problem..

It's painfully slow..

Exact same thing has been happening to me for a couple weeks now, otherwise fine but I need to switch off my WIFI a few times to get it to work more quicker. Whereas my iPad will download updates super quick, going to try to do a full restore to see if that helps solve the issue.

At first thought it was my WIFI speed but a speedtest shows it works fine. Also fine during browsing occasionally need to restart the WIFI.

ggp759

macrumors member
Jun 24, 2007
Exact same thing has been happening to me for a couple weeks now, otherwise fine but I need to switch off my WIFI a few times to get it to work more quicker. Whereas my iPad will download updates super quick, going to try to do a full restore to see if that helps solve the issue.

At first thought it was my WIFI speed but a speedtest shows it works fine. Also fine during browsing occasionally need to restart the WIFI.
Please let us know if the full restore will solve this problem. I am on 6.1 beta 2. Was hoping that this would have fix this issue but nothing. greatly appreciate your findings

Paratel

macrumors 6502
Jan 26, 2005
Somewhere in the US
I have had the same type issues on wi-fi. Painfully slow on networks that I know work fine. Usually have to switch to cellular to get things going. Capple today, told them that I have had to reboot to get it running again, restored, reset network settings, etc. That are replacing my iPhone. We'll see if that works.

sulliweb

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2011
How do you folks convince them to give a replacement?

I having the same issues... I did a speedtest and got 1.4Mbps download and 19Mbps (no I didn't forget the decimal), that's how bad it is... Called Apple, they are having me do the one thing I haven't done so far. They had me do a full restore. Of course, that takes time, and they hung up.

If this doesn't work and I call back will they replace the stupid thing? I'm about sick of getting the runaround. You'd think two months after a product launch that they'd have figured this stuff out.

Rayfire

macrumors 68030
Aug 25, 2008
PNW
How do you folks convince them to give a replacement?

I having the same issues... I did a speedtest and got 1.4Mbps download and 19Mbps (no I didn't forget the decimal), that's how bad it is... Called Apple, they are having me do the one thing I haven't done so far. They had me do a full restore. Of course, that takes time, and they hung up.

If this doesn't work and I call back will they replace the stupid thing? I'm about sick of getting the runaround. You'd think two months after a product launch that they'd have figured this stuff out.

Just tell them you did the restore, and if it still haven't solved your issue, they will replace it. Mine had to be replaced twined before it worked fine.

rmerani

macrumors newbie
Oct 31, 2012
My iPhone has the same problem and is cracked. Can I still exchange it out for a new one?

huschpuscheli

macrumors regular
Jul 28, 2011

same here.

JazzG

macrumors member
Nov 9, 2009
Please let us know if the full restore will solve this problem. I am on 6.1 beta 2. Was hoping that this would have fix this issue but nothing. greatly appreciate your findings

Got around to doing a full restore today and the App store was still painfully slow over WIFI so hasn't made any difference. Probably will go in the next month or so to the Apple Store and get a new phone!

Megalobyte

macrumors 6502a
Dec 30, 2007
Florida
Here's an interesting thing for those of you with erratic and/or slow wifi.

Go to browsermark 2.0 and run the test on wifi. Good chance you'll score poorly, in the 1450-1850 range, when a properly working IP5 should be in the 2600 range.

Then turn wifi off. Run the test with cellular, don't even use LTE, just good old slower 3/4G, and amazingly, your score will likely be much better than the wifi score. Further proof there's a wifi problem with some 5's.

I ran BM on my pretty quick 33-34 Mbps, 15 ms ping time, home network, and got poor scores, in the 1500 range, the software kindly tells me 80% of phone browsers are faster than mine. :) Then I run it on my att 4g (NOT LTE) connection, amazingly, I get 2600+, and this is on a 3-5 Mbps connection, with 100 ms ping times! So, my wifi, which is 10 times faster, is WAY slower at actual rendering and data throughput than my far slower cellular connection.

Oddly, when it's working, my 5 will score good times on speedtest, and it'll load pages very fast as long as they're mobile pages or pages without heavy content. But when asked to render a large photo, or load a page with lots of content to be downloaded, it's slow as can be. It'll score 33 Mbps on a speedtest but then seem like dial up rendering a 1 MB photo. My cellular connection at a mere 3-5 Mbps is way faster at downloading anything significant. My 4s will download most files/photos much faster, even though it scores slightly slower in a speedtest, the reason being, the wifi chip/antenna in the 4s works, and the wifi in my 5 doesn't.

I too will wait another month or 2 to let Apple figure out the problem, then get a new phone.

Risco

macrumors 68000
Jul 22, 2010
United Kingdom

Go to browsermark 2.0 and run the test on wifi. Good chance you'll score poorly, in the 1450-1850 range, when a properly working IP5 should be in the 2600 range.

Then turn wifi off. Run the test with cellular, don't even use LTE, just good old slower 3/4G, and amazingly, your score will likely be much better than the wifi score. Further proof there's a wifi problem with some 5's.

I ran BM on my pretty quick 33-34 Mbps, 15 ms ping time, home network, and got poor scores, in the 1500 range, the software kindly tells me 80% of phone browsers are faster than mine. :) Then I run it on my att 4g (NOT LTE) connection, amazingly, I get 2600+, and this is on a 3-5 Mbps connection, with 100 ms ping times! So, my wifi, which is 10 times faster, is WAY slower at actual rendering and data throughput than my far slower cellular connection.

Oddly, when it's working, my 5 will score good times on speedtest, and it'll load pages very fast as long as they're mobile pages or pages without heavy content. But when asked to render a large photo, or load a page with lots of content to be downloaded, it's slow as can be. It'll score 33 Mbps on a speedtest but then seem like dial up rendering a 1 MB photo. My cellular connection at a mere 3-5 Mbps is way faster at downloading anything significant. My 4s will download most files/photos much faster, even though it scores slightly slower in a speedtest, the reason being, the wifi chip/antenna in the 4s works, and the wifi in my 5 doesn't.

I too will wait another month or 2 to let Apple figure out the problem, then get a new phone.

Mobile data is compressed, comparing the two is not a fair test.

darster

Suspended
Aug 25, 2011

I am consistently at 2300 or higher when I run this test on my wifi. When you run the test, exactly how thorough are you? Do you disconnect all other devices from that wifi network? If not, do it again as you will have bad results. Do you test it separately on b, g and then n? If not, do it again. Do you test 2.4 Ghz and 5 Ghz separately? If not, do it again. Is your cable modem more that 2 years old? If yes, upgrade. Is your cable modem a motorla modem? If yes, you have a piece of junk. Do you have cable tv coming through the same cable? If yes, does your cable splitter have a separate -3.5 dbM out for your internet? if not, get a better splitter to reduce noise.

yukari

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2010
iPV6 Problem?

I am also having problem with WIFI on two of my iphone 5's. In addition, after I have upgraded my iphone 4 to iOS 6.0.1, it is ALSO having problem with a VERY slow WIFI.

I've read somewhere that this is due to iOS 6 using IPV6 rather than IPV4 that most older WIFI routers use.

For those who have "solved" the problem, is your router relatively new, i.e., less than a year old?

I am thinking is it is indeed iOS 6 problem for using IPV6 rather than IPV4, Apple needs to fix it so that one can have another version of iOS 6 that uses IPV 4.

dr2391

macrumors newbie
Jun 10, 2008
My problem is that if I turn my phone to left landscape, my wifi reception goes down. It's weird because it doesn't do it in any other orientation.

benji888

macrumors 68000
Sep 27, 2006
United States
Can't wait for the iOS 6.1 update!! I hope it fixes wifi issues, if not, I'll have to get a hardware replacement, but, that seems to be hit or miss. :rolleyes:

benji888

macrumors 68000
Sep 27, 2006
United States
I do not think this is a phone issue, as I have an iPhone 5 and my mate an iPhone 4 and both have slow wifi on iOS 6.

Yes, I've read up on this and think it is a software issue, but if iOS 6.1 doesn't fix it, (and it better be soon), I'm off to the genius bar.

LostAggie

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2011
I just upgraded to the latest Airport Express Base Station and the simultaneous dual band seems to fix the issue...

mykem

macrumors regular
May 20, 2008
My problem as well. Why is downloading apps soooo damn slow? Everything else on wifi is superfast. Any ideas?

If you know how to change your router setting, change your DNS if you haven't already.

I had mine set to Google Public DNS: 8.8.8.8 or 8.8.4.4 until I discovered that DNS setting actually slowed down any DL off Apple specific network ie. apps from App Store or media (music/video/magazine subscription etc.) from iTunes. Although Speedtest indicates my WiFi connection was fast @ 40Mbps and web browsing is just as fast. The reason I'd opted for the Google DNS was the fact that it was more reliable than the one provided by the ISP.

To make the long story short (a story that also involved a frustrating trip to Apple Store and Genius Bar) I had since changed my DNS setting to this:

Primary DNS: 64.71.255.253
Secondary: 64.71.255.198

And that fixed the problem completely. It used to take me more than 15 minutes to download a 250mb file from iTunes and now it's a matter of seconds.

My suggestion is to try different DNS including the ones from Google since there's no guarantee that the ones I've given above (and currently using) would work with your network/router.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.