Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GunZi

macrumors 6502
Jan 4, 2012
perhabs it changed from "coming in november" to "coming soon" because its getting delayed?

forty2j

macrumors 68030
Jul 11, 2008
NJ
By now I believe the Haswell iMac will be released in 2014, maybe November?

Even if you want to take this rumor at face value, the Haswell iMacs will be simple silent spec bumps, using the same design well after any manufacturing issues have been resolved.

So, no.

xgman

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2007
I'm sorry but Apple appears to be coming apart at the seams. At least the Mac side is. This is terrible news. At this rate the Mac Pro will reappear before the 27" imacs see the light. I really wish we had better alternatives. The problem is we really don't if we wish to hang on to OSX.

----------

Yeah, nothing ever shipped late when Steve was around :rolleyes:

Well there was never a 3+ month gap where you couldn't buy a new imac!!

By the way, no wonder there was no pre-ordering.

Last edited:

Occamsrazr

macrumors 6502
Apr 26, 2012
It wouldn't surprise me if they had the Mac Pro ready to go, but are just holding onto it until the iMac is released.

Razorhog

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2006
Arkansas
It wouldn't surprise me if they had the Mac Pro ready to go, but are just holding onto it until the iMac is released.

That would be nice, depending on how long the iMac is delayed of course. If they released the new Mac Pro, I'd get that for work and the iMac for home.

jedolley

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2009
hmm... My plan to buy a temp iMac from Best Buy is not looking too good. I got to return my iMac to BB by 12/30 so hopefully its out by then.

xgman

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2007
Or they might have the design ready and would prefer to use Ivy Bridge E.

Or then again, maybe it will never come. Yes, doom and gloom is setting in all around the subject of "desktop macs" . .

I wonder if Apple will acknowledge this story somehow one way or the other?

Last edited:

atthecross

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2007
does the French site that is reporting this delay rumor have any track record of rumors that turned out to be true???

Johnf1285

macrumors 6502a
Dec 25, 2010
does the French site that is reporting this delay rumor have any track record of rumors that turned out to be true???

Just want to add that the French blog has about a three paragraph entry about this issue. I know many rumors are vauge, but their scant three paragraphs and "commercial source" do not seem too concrete.

As far as the 2012 iMac is concerned we have heard so many rumors at this point its not even funny! Ok maybe a little bit :D

MacMiguel

macrumors regular
Oct 22, 2012
As opposed to the extrapriced new machines ...

At least you know you will be buying a new machine, not a two years old machine with obsolete technology priced like gold.... this is the reality about refurbishment in Apple

lagomorph

macrumors newbie
Nov 15, 2012
Kind of glad cnet picked up this "rumor" because the more credibility the media lends it the more likely Apple will have to respond. I don't expect them to respond to the rumor but at least they could make a definitive announcement yay or nay. I lost a 2007 iMac I used for video editing in a power surge and have been tempted to replace it with a PowerBook/Display combo in light of these delays. The wife won't be happy about the price tag though :(

xgman

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2007
I don't think Apple wants to loose even one more sale if possible. They pre-announced the imac most likely to that end, so they should squash or damage control this quickly.

The again "Apple declined to comment on the report" according to Cnet, so blunder away if they will. Sheesh . . .

Mike Valmike

macrumors 6502a
Feb 27, 2012
Chandler, Arizona
They just annouced the iMac's because of Windows 8 release a few days after the last press conference.

I will wait for the upgraded Haswell iMac next summer, no point of waiting for this ones! They gonna come in June or so only!

You may be right. I think what this whole chain of events really makes clear is that Apple's mistake was not so much in releasing the redesigned 2012 iMac the way they did, but in not doing a spec bump on the 2011 design back in June with Ivy Bridge and no other changes, and then saving the redesign for early 2013 when manufacturing could handle it. The problem isn't so much that we have to wait now as it is that we STILL have to wait, after a very long delay already.

MacMiguel

macrumors regular
Oct 22, 2012
You may be right. I think what this whole chain of events really makes clear is that Apple's mistake was not so much in releasing the redesigned 2012 iMac the way they did, but in not doing a spec bump on the 2011 design back in June with Ivy Bridge and no other changes, and then saving the redesign for early 2013 when manufacturing could handle it. The problem isn't so much that we have to wait now as it is that we STILL have to wait, after a very long delay already.

The production of the new model is cheaper for Apple due to his lower amount of alluminium, I think they tought the assembly of it would be more easy but they have realize that their production capability is not enough.... It's just a supposition

xgman

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2007
I saw someone posted this at Cnet whcih also can be related to the recent trouble at Foxconn, and I very much agree.

I think Apple needs to start using more common sense in their design and realise that the best-engineered products are useless if you cannot find a factory capable of producing them on a large scale, because then, nobody gets to buy them.

----------

that we STILL have to wait, after a very long delay already.

Exactly . . .

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.