Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

ipad_mini_box-150x212.jpg
The New York Post reports that thieves managed to steal $1.5 million worth of iPad minis from a warehouse at Kennedy Airport in New York City on Monday night. The heist, which appears to have been an inside job, netted the criminals two pallets containing 3,600 iPad minis.
The crooks arrived at Building 261 around 11 p.m. in a white tractor trailer marked with the name CEVA on the side, according to the sources. They pulled up to the side of the airport building that faces onto a street and has less security than the other side, which is accessible from the airport tarmac.

Sources believe someone let them into the area and then let them out after they grabbed the iPads.

They grabbed about 3,600 of the minis that were being shipped by a company called Cargo Airport Services, which said the iPads had just arrived from China and were destined for locations around the US.
Three other pallets were left behind when the thieves fled after being approached by a warehouse worker.

The report does not specifically identify which types of iPad minis were stolen in the heist, but with pre-orders of the new cellular-capable models on their way to customers over the next several days, it seems possible that the units were LTE models in the process of being distributed for launch-day sales.

Article Link: $1.5 Million Worth of iPad Minis Stolen from Airport Warehouse

levitynyc

macrumors 65816
Aug 19, 2006
When the iPad 3 came out, my UPS driver told me he had 2 unmarked security cars follow him from the UPS hub to Best Buy to deliver something like 700 iPads.

STiNG Operation

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2012
The Zoo
This is the second heist against apple with large sums of money and product this year that were stolen right? Does this happen every year? How can a person honestly get away with stealing these devices, the resale has to be impossible...

frayne182

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2012
Canada
This is the second heist against apple with large sums of money and product this year that were stolen right? Does this happen every year? How can a person honestly get away with stealing these devices, the resale has to be impossible...

What would be so hard?

Can sell those anywhere. Streets, Kijiji, Craigslist, ebay, etc

rmatthewware

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2009
So if someone offers you iPads from their trunk, these might actually be real for once, rather than a brick.

miralize

macrumors member
Jun 12, 2009
Ireland
What would be so hard?

Can sell those anywhere. Streets, Kijiji, Craigslist, ebay, etc

It would be hard because Apple can track exactly what ipads went missing from their serials, and block them. Not sure if the will, or would, but its still a possibility.

ck2875

macrumors 65816
Mar 25, 2009
Brighton
I imagine Apple is now simply waiting for someone to power up one of the devices matching the stolen serial numbers (akin to the Steve Jobs iPad that went to the clown).

frayne182

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2012
Canada
It would be hard because Apple can track exactly what ipads went missing from their serials, and block them. Not sure if the will, or would, but its still a possibility.

Stolen phones/tablets are sold all the time.

My buddy bought a stolen iPhone not knowing online and the carrier was like "you know this was a stolen phone?" He had no idea and they activated it for him.

I don't think they would fully block any of these. Might use them as bait to catch these guys in fact. Its not the consumers fault in the end.

tranceme

macrumors 6502
Jan 10, 2006
California, US
I imagine Apple is now simply waiting for someone to power up one of the devices matching the stolen serial numbers (akin to the Steve Jobs iPad that went to the clown).

You're absolutely right. This won't go away. They will investigate and track these items. It's just too much to be ignored. Unless they are shipped out of the country right away, they will be caught.

ck2875

macrumors 65816
Mar 25, 2009
Brighton
On second thought: I bet it was Santa Claus.

If it wasn't him, these thieves missed one hell of an opportunity. I can only imagine how amazing a video of some guys dressed up as Santa and his helpers stealing 3,600 iPads would have looked on the evening news.

SamGabbay

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2011
Apple really lost out more because now they have to reship $1.5 million worth of iPad minis to customers who are now not getting it.

odditie

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2004
Apple really lost out more because now they have to reship $1.5 million worth of iPad minis to customers who are now not getting it.

Yeah it sucks for Apple, but we are talking about like a 750k-1M loss for a company that has billions in the bank. We are also talking about small group of iPad Minis. If they sold 3 M units opening weekend we are talking about 0.1% of their pre-orders so it isn't going to be a major constraint on their supply by any means.

bacaramac

macrumors 65816
Dec 29, 2007
So for any of you who had delivery dates this week and it has now moved to next week, we know what happened. Haha

reden

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2006
Yeah it sucks for Apple, but we are talking about like a 750k-1M loss for a company that has billions in the bank. We are also talking about small group of iPad Minis. If they sold 3 M units opening weekend we are talking about 0.1% of their pre-orders so it isn't going to be a major constraint on their supply by any means.

Actually, I think Apple has insurance, so there is no loss, only delivery delays.

bacaramac

macrumors 65816
Dec 29, 2007
Actually, I think Apple has insurance, so there is no loss, only delivery delays.

I assume it's not Apple's insurance. I would think the shipping company has full insurance and responsibility for this. Apple doesn't own the shipping companies, they contract out that work.

padrino121

macrumors member
Apr 5, 2004

Are you serious? Have you seen the gray market for devices like this, they would get near retail for almost all o them easily..

odditie

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2004

Right, I'm just saying that even if you said money wise it would be a small number for them to eat. For quantity it is a small number as well. It sucks, but it isn't going to be something that Tim Cook probably even gets involved with.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.