Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

WuLabswuTecH

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 22, 2011
Hi All,

I have an old iPod Touch 3g that has been jailbroken, running iOS 5. I recently acquired a new iPod Touch 5g that is not jailbroken (no need to since it can do everything I need it to now) on iOS 6. I wish to migrate, SOME, but NOT ALL, of my stuff from one iPod to the other. What is the best way to do this?

Namely, I don't need any setting migrated, just data. In particular, notes and photos. All my email and such are on an exchange server and most apps with data are on their own accounts so those migrated fine. But over the years I built up a lot of junk in terms of apps and I don't want all of my 100s of apps to migrate over. Music is all stored on my computer as well in iTunes so that's not an issue. But other than emailing myself each note and photo one by one, I don't see a good way to migrate...

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance,

-Wu

Aspasia

macrumors 65816
I have an iPad 2 and got a touch 5. Like you, I only wanted selected apps on my touch. I just went to the app store and installed the desired apps on the iPod touch, then set those particular apps on both devices to iCloud.

Most likely an inelegant way of doing it, but it seems to have worked in terms of having the same data on each device.

Did not want to have my photos stream between both devices but you can do that in the settings.

Hopefully your JB won't interfere; I don't know anything about JB, obviously.

new-to-mac

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2012
you can use dropbox. just install it on both devices and copy the photos to a dedicated folder on the source device and copy back on the destination device

WuLabswuTecH

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 22, 2011
So I found out a way to get the 550 pictures off of my old iPod Touch, just plug it into the computer and you can copy the files off like any camera. My problem is now, how do I get these onto the new iPod touch?

I've tried photo stream and after 4 hours I am giving up. It just refuses to take the photos I put in the upload folder on my PC to my new iPod touch.

I tried plugging in the new iPod touch and copy pasting the old 550 pictures onto it but it won't let me write onto the new iPod.

I have also tried iTunes, but I don't want to sync my photos, I just want a one time transfer!

Any ideas?

Snarl

macrumors member
Nov 3, 2012
Canada Eh
This should work..

Copy the photos to a Folder on your computer
Open iTunes and add the Folder to your Library
Connect iPod and Sync Library/Folder

Ghostbusters

macrumors regular
Nov 12, 2012
iTunes way: Copy pictures to computer. Sync iPod to iTunes. Select option to sync pictures. Choose folder where they are stored. Sync. Pictures should now be available in Photos app. Voila!

Dropbox way: Create a Dropbox account. Copy pictures to Dropbox folder. Download Dropbox app. Select option within app to sync pictures with Photos app OR select pictures to copy to Photos app camera roll. Voila!

Email way: Email pictures to yourself ensuring originals kept intact. Open email on iPod. Download attachments, adding to Photos app camera roll. Repeat over and over and over until all pictures have been downloaded. Voila!

Another possible way is to download a file management app and copy the pictures there, then on the iPod saving to camera roll. Not sure if that may degrade quality though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.