Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Berserker-UK

macrumors regular
Jan 4, 2012
Berkshire, UK
Can someone tell me one reason why docks can be better than airplay? I can't think of one.

One word: Nightstand. If I'm travelling, I'd like to be able to listen to music, but I'd also like an alarm clock and can't expect the hotel to supply one. I could carry speakers and an alarm clock, or I could just carry a travel speaker dock (currently Gear4 StreetParty).

These are not exactly portable, so not for me, despite the better sound quality.

richardw

macrumors member
Jul 13, 2011
why is everyone so hung up on "Docks" when we have much simpler/better solutions available. I've never really seen the appeal of a "dock".

Neither have I. Always ugly, often expensive, and never will provide more than mediocre sound quality.

Navdakilla

macrumors 65816
Feb 3, 2011
Canada
I have a 30 pin JBL sounddock, with airplay. Even with my iphone 4/4s I rarely docked it. Although I miss its charging abilities now. But love airplay!

LotusLord

macrumors 6502a
The big thing for me (or really my wife) is that we use the alarm clock to charge the phone at night. I also liked using it to play music in our bed room when putting laundry away for example. As it stands now we have a traveling 30 pin to lightning adapter for the 2 docking speaker systems at home, but it's not a pretty solution by any means.

drober30

macrumors 6502a
Jul 5, 2007
Why do they still make these with docks, I don't get it, use bluetooth and everything will work. Then just put a usb plug on the back incase people want to charge their device. Doesn't make any sense to make it proprietary.

Cool idea... Sell it with the extra cable included that stores in a built in compartment. Then stream Bluetooth for music and charge only if you need to.

Also, if you are charging and you need to pick up/disconnect your phone, the music wont stop, unlike a docked phone. Best of both worlds.

ipedro

macrumors 603
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
I'm waiting for a Lightning version of this:

_0004_iP4GZC_HR2.jpg.450x400_q85.jpg

Anybody own an IP4? Is iHome offering a dock attachment replacement like Bose is?

Katarn

macrumors newbie
Nov 15, 2012
What?

While Airplay makes a lot of sense, it's also nice to be able to charge the phone at the same time

Your post makes no sense. Airplay makes ALL the sense. It's a completely wireless solution - you can plug the phone into a charger anywhere you well please and you aren't stuck leaving it on the dock. Then pick it up and use it and carry it around the house or wherever and the music still plays. How is that not worlds better?

----------

One word: Nightstand. If I'm travelling, I'd like to be able to listen to music, but I'd also like an alarm clock and can't expect the hotel to supply one. I could carry speakers and an alarm clock, or I could just carry a travel speaker dock (currently Gear4 StreetParty).

These are not exactly portable, so not for me, despite the better sound quality.

You do realize the phone has a built-in alarm clock...?

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
Your post makes no sense. Airplay makes ALL the sense. It's a completely wireless solution - you can plug the phone into a charger anywhere you well please and you aren't stuck leaving it on the dock. Then pick it up and use it and carry it around the house or wherever and the music still plays. How is that not worlds better?
what if you don't have wifi? Or you have lousy wifi in your bedroom? Just because you don't see a need for a dock, doesn't mean they're useless. Obviously, docks sell because they keep making them.

JHankwitz

macrumors 68000
Oct 31, 2005
Wisconsin
That tiny connector seems a bit flimsy to support the weight of the phone.

Seems like a lot of stress on the part

The new phone is very lite. You can't see what additional support is provided. We can't tell if it will work with an iPhone case.

----------

Remember when apple included docks with our iPhones?

Those were the days... F u apple

Tell us all how and what you really think Radio.

iGrip

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2010
Why?

I don't understand buying these sorts of docks. They don't sound all that good, and if you are looking for something that doesn't really sound all that good, why not get a clock/radio dock?

If yo want something that sounds good, plug your phone into the regular home stereo.

I've got a sweet little tube-type dock with 2 speakers. No subwoofer, but the speakers have tight bass that goes as deep as many of the "subwoofers" you see on 3 piece systems. The dock on it was from before Apple borked the 30 pin connector (the first time around, maybe iOS 2.2?). So I just use the stereo plug and ignore the borked video output. It sounds good. Tight bass so you can tell the difference between the bass drum and the bass guitar (and even listen to the fingering technique of the bass player), natural sounding midrange, good stereo imaging when you sit between the speakers, and it gets loud enough to crank it and listen from the back porch. $70 bucks on eBay.

I don't understand these limited usage, bad sounding docks. What are they good for? Doesn't iHome sell some good-sounding clock radios?

----------

Why do they still make these with docks, I don't get it, use bluetooth and everything will work.

Bluetooth sounds like ass.

Hakone

macrumors 6502a
Oct 5, 2011
Southern California
I have and love the Audessey (south of the Market) dock although I use the bluetooth since my iP5 can't dock with it. Surprisingly clear and deep.

I'm sure this JBL will be a rock solid choice and let's face it, Apple will NEVER change their connector again... ever :eek:

Yumbo

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2011
Australia
I did, sadly for me whilst it allowed charging - the audio wasn't able to be played back.

Plus the extra height it adds means the iPhone 5 and the mini were very top heavy with nothing to support them other than the new adapter which I could see causing too much stress on the lightning ports over time and possibly breaking something.

Swap it for the cable adapter. Allows phone to be held and passes audio.

----------

Then use Airplay. Sound quality is perfect and it's completely wireless. Plus, why would you want an extra device for listening to music when you already have speakers?

Nothing is more 'plug & play' than Airplay, which literally requires only two taps on your phone and saves you the hassle of walking to your dock and the docking itself.

AirPlay requires the Airport Express or AppleTV.

duneriderltr450

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2012
Oregon

What hotels do you stay at that don't have an alarm clock? :confused:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.