Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Chevelle

macrumors regular
Sep 9, 2010
Well, you're a new member who just registered on an Apple oriented website, saying he's done with Apple? *resists patronizing*

On the other hand, your username is my favorite band, so it evens out.

Lol I've been registered longer then you. And I've been using Apple computers and products for close to 10 years now. I don't like where they are going as a company and I'm slowly converting my Apple products over to something else. I went from an Iphone 4 to a Galaxy Note II and couldn't be happier. I currently have a Macbook Pro and am looking to replace that with a PC desktop and tablet.

My name isn't Chevelle because of the band, although I do like them. It's Chevelle because I owned a 66 Chevelle SS.

Edsel

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2010
Over There
If this is true....

...then Apple is in big trouble with investors.

Are any of Steve Jobs children old enough to run the company? Apple definitely needs Steve's DNA presence in the building.

C62008

macrumors newbie
Jul 31, 2008
...So now we have a situation where Apple is basically selling no good desktops. And don't say it's because desktops are "dying" either. They certainly are not, in the productivity space. There is just no excuse for this really.

I find this interesting because for a few years now all web designers like myself have heard is that web browsing is dramatically shifting towards mobile devices. Personally, I find no joy at all in browsing on a smart phone (particularly my frustratingly small iPhone 5) and really not that much on my iPad. Give me a desktop any day. And this last week I read in Web Design Depot that yeah, mobile web browsing is huge - but really it's mostly for finding addresses and phone numbers. People generally wait to get back to their desktops to do any serious browsing. Wow. And here I thought I was the only one. I think Apple has gotten way too wrapped up in mobile to the detriment of its desktop users. I would love to see another company come along and crush Apple.

lilo777

macrumors 603
Nov 25, 2009
Out of interest, what mobile GPU is more "bleeding edge" than the 680MX they're putting in there?

Or are you calling Nvidia's 600 series GPU's and 2560px IPS panels "run of the mill"?

Not sure where you're going with this.

What exactly is mobile GPU doing in the desktop computer?

oldwatery

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2003
Maui
I find this interesting because for a few years now all web designers like myself have heard is that web browsing is dramatically shifting towards mobile devices. Personally, I find no joy at all in browsing on a smart phone (particularly my frustratingly small iPhone 5) and really not that much on my iPad. Give me a desktop any day. And this last week I read in Web Design Depot that yeah, mobile web browsing is huge - but really it's mostly for finding addresses and phone numbers. People generally wait to get back to their desktops to do any serious browsing. Wow. And here I thought I was the only one. I think Apple has gotten way too wrapped up in mobile to the detriment of its desktop users. I would love to see another company come along and crush Apple.

Best post yet. Amen brother!
Or is that amen Big Brother Apple :rolleyes:

kwikdeth

macrumors 65816
Feb 25, 2003
Tempe, AZ
Best post yet. Amen brother!
Or is that amen Big Brother Apple :rolleyes:

here, here!

its amazing how apple has in the rush to capitalize on mobile, they've lost sight of what they did originally and did best, computers. yes, the iphone is a mobile computer, but i think what we're seeing now with the ip5 and new imacs is that apple's taken the form-over-function thing too far. now they cant even produce what they're trying to sell. i really hope this serves as a wakeup call because i was not at all enjoying this relentless march to a zoolander phone which is the direction i see apple going in with the relentless miniaturization that has been going on. i can see non-replacable RAM in a ultrabook like the air, but a desktop? give me a break man.

zoolander-phone_fgo7F_52.jpg

i think upper management is getting high off the new packaging fumes.

Cancelled
Apr 10, 2012
I don't understand why not? They once were bulky and heavy, as the technology advanced, they got thinner and thinner! You don't complain about TV being too thin, do you? Not to mention they look lot nicer. Give it a decade or 2, with the nanotechnology... all you are going to have is a thin glass and nothing else ;)

TVs don't drop functionality in order to become thinner.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
I don believe Apple is worried that much about iMac loss sales. Here's why

That's silly. If Apple isn't concerned about loss of iMac sales why make the product at all must less spend R&D money designing a new form factor for it?

Mac sales are still a significant chunk of Apple profits and the iMac is Apple's #1 desktop seller. If it accounts for 10% of Apple's revenue that's a lot of money to leave on the table.

britboyj

macrumors 6502a
Apr 8, 2009
This is disappointing, but since I'm only going to buy one when my Mum's 2006 Mac Mini dies (giving her my current 27" 2.8 i5 12GB RAM when I do) I can't say as I'm particularly bothered.

Didn't the first unibody iMacs have manufacturing issues too?

Yojimbo007

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2012
I am bewildered by all this negativity spewing out of a bs rumor!

1st. Apple site shows no delay!

2nd.. Those of u who think the new imac is not innovative or is a dog.. What have u been smoking? It has the fastest intrl chips and nvidia graphics cards incorporated.

The fusion drive alone is an increadible performance enhancer... Check benchmarks and u will see.

The new laminated screen technology.. Far superior.. Offering much clearer picture .. Better contrast and color.

No optical drive? Well hook up an external one...big deal. Last time i used an optical drive was maybe a year ago...

As for esthetics.. Believe it or not.. Some prople actually enjoy that.. Like having nice cars,. Homes, cloths, etc... Nice objects creat a nicer environment to be surrounded with... Good for the soul.... Most like that.

If u think the new imac is not good.. Go buy a refurbished old one...
But i know most of u wont.. U like what the new imac is all about... And u are just venting frustration over a stupid rumor!

U want vent about domething... Kerp bombarding apple eith their embarrassingly weak. Contextual word recognition and spell check !

BvizioN

macrumors 603
Mar 16, 2012
Manchester, UK
TVs don't drop functionality in order to become thinner.

I wasn't aware they new iMacs have droped functionality. I actually thought they have bumbed the functionality on the new iMacs. Maybe not to satisfy the hig expectations.... but somehow compare to the older models. Guess i was wrong then.

oldwatery

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2003
Maui
I wasn't aware they new iMacs have droped functionality. I actually thought they have bumbed the functionality on the new iMacs. Maybe not to satisfy the hig expectations.... but somehow compare to the older models. Guess i was wrong then.

No user replaceable parts...no upgradeable parts...no optical drives....yeh no loss there!

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
Apple has $100B of cash floating around with nothing to do. The company is not run to optimize individual quarterly results.

What matters is getting a quality product on the market when it is ready. Period.

For example there are no reports of flaying edges of Surface tablet keyboard covers. That shipping those devices short term would boost Microsoft's earnings. A quality issue won't help long term.

The iMac is not highly dependent upon Holiday sales to provide value for the product. Historically it isn't even targeted in Holiday, gift giving quarters. It is entirely hand waving to say that is that is a critically dependent factor now.

I didn't say Apple wouldn't loose some sales with a delay. Just that they probably wouldn't loose most.

Bull. You are the one who doesn't seem to see the issue. If cloudy predictability is part of the design then Jobs would have likely bad the same bad call on the same bad information. You're hand waving as if Cook made the call with some sort of mind fart or "flip the coin" decision. It is extremely likely if there has been a problem with the iMac then Cook (like Jobs would have) went to the folks on the product and asked what their new estimate was to getting it fixed. They probably though it would be fixed by end of Oct. So Cook went with the dates.

Most likely the iMac was suppose to ship LAST quarter. Or did you not notice that Mac unit grow had slowed down at the last quarter reports? Still better than market overall but not as high as it was.

It is already late. Later by one quarter isn't the sign of the Apocalypse. Disappointing perhaps but not huge.

So what if it is a temporary thing. The market as a whole over the short term acts irrationally all the time. Only extremely weak companies worry about short term swings in the stock. Apple has no motivation at all to get their underwear in a twist if the stock falls for a couple of quarter and then returns to even higher growth.

Stuff happens. If a hurricane, flood, or earthquake hit Apple HQ or one of their singular manufacturing sites they take a short term hit too. Long term it isn't a issue though due to the resources they have.

The cost they charge is immaterial. The fact that even you acknowledge that small of a bump is insignificant is all that is.

If can't bump the whole line up why bother? Sure Apple could kill margins by moving down the CPUs and chopping off the top end CTO. Unit sales purely for unit sales sake is not a strategy. It is a gimmick.

1. Yes, we agree. What matters is getting a quality product to market -- so why did Cook try to rush it. Clearly he knew there were production problems when he announced or they would have started pre-sales at announcement or soon after as Apple usually does. As of today you still cannot pre-order even a stock unit.

2. If the iMac isn't holiday driven, then why announce it now when Apple knows a new production method might be tricky? Why not keep the same form factor, use the time to perfect the production line and release the new iMac in the Spring when EDU traditionally gears up purchases for the next school season?

3. I'm calling Cook's call a bad one yes. It's not a filp of the coin, it's just poor analysis of the production situation. He rushed it because he wanted to announce it. Apple stock is getting pummeled again too because investor confidence in Cook's abilities is waning. This isn't his first bad call. He's had a string of them this year. He's already fired one of them.

Mystic386

macrumors regular
Nov 18, 2011
This has been an enjoyable thread;

1/ French Company MacBidouille (did I spell that right) talks to someone who says iMac's may be coming slower than thought.

2/ Gets posted in MacRumours. A good place for rumours by the way.

3/ Massive posting on how the sky is falling, Apple is failing, Tim should be toast. The odd bit of distress at a machine not arriving when hoped for. Suggestions to wait for a later version because the early shipping ones could be a problem.

Welcome to the world of rumours and glass half full comments.

This has been hilarious. What if there is no delay, or a small delay. What if it's a top product. All the worry and distress would be for nothing. I've enjoyed watching the mountains being made out of a molehill. And a rumour at that.

As you were.

MacOG728893

macrumors 68000
Sep 10, 2010
Orange County CA
Either way, Apple should have released an Ivy Bridge iMac update in June along side the MacBook Pro retina, instead of this new design, they should have kept the current design.

What this would have done was made people waiting for an Ivy/USB3 iMac very happy and then next year, when Haswell was released, introduce the new form factor iMac, which would of had much more time to ramp up production and have all Haswell iMac lines ready upon launch in April-June 2013.

This would have certainly been a more logical approach, but then again, maybe they didn't foresee these production problems being as big of deal as they really are.

Breckenridge

macrumors regular
Feb 21, 2006
Telluride, Colorado
Yeah but then some analyst comes out and says Android increased its market share and you get people saying Apple needs more than one model of iPhone or they need to release new iPhones every six months to compete. Apple can't win these days. If there was no iPad mini, if the iMac was just a spec bump and looked just like the 2009 iMac people would complain about it and we'd get posts asking what Jony Ive does with all his time (like we got with the iPhone 5 leaks), and how Apple' going download the tubes and isn't innovating any more blah blah blah.

Apple is not a computer company anymore, apple has become the new Sony, a gadget designer, and they are, unfortunately, going down the same path that destroyed so many big corporations. Steve's philosophy was about user experience while the current guy is driven by profit margins.

Apple without Steve is just a rotten apple.

Yojimbo007

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2012
1. Yes, we agree. What matters is getting a quality product to market -- so why did Cook try to rush it. Clearly he knew there were production problems when he announced or they would have started pre-sales at announcement or soon after as Apple usually does. As of today you still cannot pre-order even a stock unit.

2. If the iMac isn't holiday driven, then why announce it now when Apple knows a new production method might be tricky? Why not keep the same form factor, use the time to perfect the production line and release the new iMac in the Spring when EDU traditionally gears up purchases for the next school season?

3. I'm calling Cook's call a bad one yes. It's not a filp of the coin, it's just poor analysis of the production situation. He rushed it because he wanted to announce it. Apple stock is getting pummeled again too because investor confidence in Cook's abilities is waning. This isn't his first bad call. He's had a string of them this year. He's already fired one of them.

What are basing all this negative rant on ... A rumor from an obscure french blog quoting an unknown individual.

Chevelle

macrumors regular
Sep 9, 2010
I am bewildered by all this negativity spewing out of a bs rumor!

1st. Apple site shows no delay!

2nd.. Those of u who think the new imac is not innovative or is a dog.. What have u been smoking? It has the fastest intrl chips and nvidia graphics cards incorporated.

The fusion drive alone is an increadible performance enhancer... Check benchmarks and u will see.

The new laminated screen technology.. Far superior.. Offering much clearer picture .. Better contrast and color.

No optical drive? Well hook up an external one...big deal. Last time i used an optical drive was maybe a year ago...

As for esthetics.. Believe it or not.. Some prople actually enjoy that.. Like having nice cars,. Homes, cloths, etc... Nice objects creat a nicer environment to be surrounded with... Good for the soul.... Most like that.

If u think the new imac is not good.. Go buy a refurbished old one...
But i know most of u wont.. U like what the new imac is all about... And u are just venting frustration over a stupid rumor!

U want vent about domething... Kerp bombarding apple eith their embarrassingly weak. Contextual word recognition and spell check !

The store doesn't show that there isn't a delay either though. It says the 21" is available in November. Well November is halfway done and you still can't put an order in. There's really no way to confirm one way or the other yet.

SockRolid

macrumors 68000
Jan 5, 2010
Almost Rock Solid
Game Theory

Apple did the right thing by pre-announcing the iMac, even if it's not ready. At least in terms of competitive sales strategy. They'll lose sales during the holiday period, but by showing the world an advanced, all-new, highly desirable new iMac, those sales may be merely postponed until the iMacs are ready. Not totally lost.

By effectively pre-announcing the new iMacs, Apple has "frozen" a certain percentage of sales of the iMac's competitors. Many computer shoppers will wait until the new iMac is available, instead of settling for some other computer. If Apple hadn't announced the new iMacs, those buyers might have "settled."

No, it's not really a zero-sum game, so it's not the best example of applied game theory. But computer purchases are big enough that most computer shoppers will do at least a little research, and they'll see that a new iMac is due. Sooner or later. And many of those shoppers will wait.

(Edit: Of course, the rumor could be bogus. AAPL is, after all, one of the most heavily manipulated stocks out there. Especially by the shorters. Game theory strategy is being applied on the NASDAQ every day. For $ billions.)

Last edited:

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
What are basing all this negative rant on ... A rumor from an obscure french blog quoting an unknown individual.

Well, Tim Cook, himself told investors that the iMac would be constrained because of production issues and to-date Apple has yet to allow customers to pre-order even a stock unit. Even if Apple does manage to squeeze out a few units so they can say they are shipping it's still not a good situation for Apple or Tim Cook.

Aluminum213

macrumors 68040
Mar 16, 2012
The store doesn't show that there isn't a delay either though. It says the 21" is available in November. Well November is halfway done and you still can't put an order in. There's really no way to confirm one way or the other yet.

Apple had listed iTunes 11 as coming in October up until the last day of October, don't act like apple sticks by its deadlines

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
those sales may be merely postponed until the iMacs are ready. Not totally lost.

Operative word there is "may". Companies usually try to lock up sales the moment they can, not hope fickle consumers didn't opt for an alternative product from another company or spend that $ on something else entirely.

Would have been better if Apple didn't spend the excitement of a new machine capital when the machine wasn't ready and waited until CES to announce.

Apple Corps

macrumors 68030
Apr 26, 2003
California

Are you not capable of comprehending Chupa Chupa's post? It is a STRING of poor decisions / performance under Cook's leadership (or lack thereof) that is tanking the stock and worrying Apple fans.

The iMac "rumor" may or may not be accurate - we will know soon. But the iPhone assembly issues, Maps, iTunes 11 delay, Browett hiring / firing, are all REAL - not rumors.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.