Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

luisito

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 15, 2012
Hello guys,

New Member here, I hope everyone is doing alright.
I've been reading macrumors forums for a while and took the decision to join you. Quite exciting!
I have a small question, should I purchase a MBA now or wait for the next update?
I am reallly not an expert at Apple stuff like you, so I would not know when the next MBA version is coming out, in fact, it will be my first Apple device apart from an iPod Touch that I found on the street while walking from my highschool to my home many, so many years ago. I lasted me a good year before it broke.

When will the next update happen? I am asking because Apple updates a lot, perhaps a misconception but that is what I've heard.

By the way, I am in no need to get the laptop right away, I can wait, as long as the update is not in one year. 6 months should be fine.

I am prone to buy the MBA with 128GB SSD, 8GB and whatever the base processor is for the 13" model.

I've always been a PC user, at this point of my life I have had enough of the ******, headaches, frustation that PC brings. Ironically, I am a certified CompTIA A+ tech. (I got my certification in highschool just for fun).

sostoobad

macrumors regular
Nov 5, 2011
Boston
Hi, don't see any real reason to wait. if the Air fits what you need it to do, then jump right in. I have had 2 13" airs and the 11", now have the 13" 2012.

Plus the resale is pretty strong, as long as they are clean etc.

nexsta

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2007
My advice: get an used/refurbished one now, sell it on spring/sommer next year and buy the 2013 model. Intel's Haswell will kick ass badly next year, oh and ignore the 2012 model.

Rob.G

macrumors 6502a
Jan 17, 2010
Arizona
+1 on buy a refurb. I just ordered a refurb 2012 11" Air, 2.0 Core i7, 8 gig, 256 gig SSD. Saved about $300 off the price of a new one. And since it has a full year warranty, if the 2013's don't have enough to warrant selling and upgrading, I'll spring for AppleCare before my year is up.

The only reason I can really see upgrading would be for Retina, bu I have a hunch that we won't see Retina on the Airs for another year. I think it'd cut into the Pro sales too much.

Rob

wolfpuppies3

macrumors 6502
Jun 26, 2012
Virginia, USA
Apple never advertises an update schedule but the MBAs are usually updated once a year, the last being July 2012. If you want to wait for the latest and greatest, wait 10-20 years and you will still be buying a machine that will be updated after your purchase.

oldtime

macrumors 6502
Nov 27, 2007
Apple never advertises an update schedule but the MBAs are usually updated once a year, the last being July 2012. If you want to wait for the latest and greatest, wait 10-20 years and you will still be buying a machine that will be updated after your purchase.

For anyone who frets about these things, the only "good" time to buy is minutes after an update. And even then, happiness lasts only until rumors of the next iteration crop up.

madsci954

macrumors 68030
Oct 14, 2011
Ohio
Welcome!

The 2012 MBAs came out this past summer, so probably June-July 2013 for the new models, maybe May but no one knows exactly when.

What specs you want depend on your needs, although I would recommend maxin out the RAM since you can't upgrade it yourself.

I would also agree buying a refurb model, it will still have the Apple warranty and when the 2013 model comes out, you can sell the refurb and use that money for your new MBA.

luisito

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 15, 2012
Thanks for the answers guys, I had never considered buying a refurb. I am very skeptical of a machine that has been used and that may cause problems.

If I were to buy a MBA today, and sell it when the new ones come out, how much of the total value does the MBA loses (excellent condition)?

:D

oldtime

macrumors 6502
Nov 27, 2007
Thanks for the answers guys, I had never considered buying a refurb. I am very skeptical of a machine that has been used and that may cause problems.

If I were to buy a MBA today, and sell it when the new ones come out, how much of the total value does the MBA loses (excellent condition)?

:D

Buying refurbs directly from Apple is generally perfectly safe.

To get an idea of what they're worth just check CL and ebay to see what specific models are going for.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.